Snorkel Mod (Factory Airbox) - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Snorkel Mod (Factory Airbox)

Hi All,

I think I'm probably missing something obvious here but I have not been able to find a single pic that shows or a link that specifically explains this mod. This said, I have found a bunch of post that directly reference it.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

'09 CTS-V Black 6 Spd Manual
'07 GC SRT-8 Black -Sold
'03 Corvette Z06 Black (Tinted)- Sold
'01 Corvette Z06 Black (Tinted/Slammed/Breathed- Sold
'91 Corvette ZR1 Polo Green (Stock)- Sold
'93 Trans Am Red- Sponsored IASCA Sound Competitor Car-Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Re: Snorkel Mod (Factory Airbox)

i have some pics at home I can send. Basically, it is very easy.

If you locate the snorkel you will see that the intake is at a 90degree turn, meaning the opening faces the driver side of the car. What I did is cut away the angled part so that the opening is pretty much straight on, like a ram-air. I wont even begin to say I have felt a difference but combined with a drop-in KN I think its as good as a CAI. The stock intake tube is rubber but is a big bore and is smooth on the inside, meaning it flows more than enough air. The sucking sound with the metal tubes is just that. I prefer silence, at least from that end

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

8.90@157.59
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable

If you locate the snorkel you will see that the intake is at a 90degree turn, meaning the opening faces the driver side of the car. What I did is cut away the angled part so that the opening is pretty much straight on, like a ram-air. I wont even begin to say I have felt a difference but combined with a drop-in KN I think its as good as a CAI. The stock intake tube is rubber but is a big bore and is smooth on the inside, meaning it flows more than enough air. The sucking sound with the metal tubes is just that. I prefer silence, at least from that end
Cool, thanks! This is what i was looking for

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Snorkel Mod (Factory Airbox)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7en
Hi All,

I think I'm probably missing something obvious here but I have not been able to find a single pic that shows or a link that specifically explains this mod. This said, I have found a bunch of post that directly reference it.

Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Pop the hood.....notice the six plastic retainers that hold the front grille......carefully remove the center of each retainer then remove the body.....DO NOT LOSE OR DAMAGE THEM.....lift and pull on the grille......you have now exposed the snorkel......look at it and examine how the end of it noses to the right.......just remove enough material at the top and left side of the snorkel so to expose the opening.......try to leave the floor and the right side so it looks like it flares at the opening. That way it will "catch" and direct as much outside air as possible right into the opening. I used a pair of sharp tin snips that cut thru it like butter.

I feel the aftermarket CAIs physically can not draw air from the outside nearly as efficiently as the stock cai.......the Volant does look very good and maybe a more efficient option. The Volant also uses the stock snorkel but they have also opened the bottom. Dont worry about water......the stock lower half of the box has a resonator that has a hole that would allow water to escape........which I doubt will be an issue.

Last edited by generalconfusion; 02-08-2007 at 01:36 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 05:45 PM

This is the best mod you can do to the truck. It's very cheap and it will run with the best intake kit out there. I think it's better to be honest with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Untouchable

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 10:25 PM

What is the advantage of having the snorkel face to the side? Why was it designed that way, instead of pointing straight, to begin with?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:19 PM
ge2
Major Contributing Member

My guess is that it was designed to the side so water and road debris wouldn't have a clear shot at the filter.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-08-2007, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info folks! K&N is ordered and should be in tomorrow and I know what I'm doing this weekend.

On a side note I have had no luck finding a colder running Tstat for this car at any locals stores. I even called 2 autozones 30+ miles away and noone stocks one.

I'm in Japan next week and Lake Tahoe next weekend so it will be at least a couple of weeks before I will have another opportunity to do any wrenching.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 12:56 AM

That's what I was thinking GE2: the right angle serves a purpose. Think I'll leave it as-is.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-09-2007, 01:17 AM
Banned

See post #11 for dyno results: http://www.***********/forums/showthr...t=3668&page=18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode