Noice Clunck when TC Off

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  kanae 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello
everyone

i am a little worry.
i have my srt8 now 3 week.
It pull from 0-60 strong 4.75 sec.
And when i drive it runs fine i only hear some clunck noice when i shift into Drive revers but it think this is normal when the lock happend.

but 2 days before i was joinig on the autobahn and it was rainig i accelerate and i notice some shaking rubbing and feel pulsating like a clutch which did not grip right.
when i accelerate faster it is gone or when i go off the gas it is also gone. only at moderate acceleration and only on wet surface.
Today i turn off the traction controll and drive in the city and there is this symthome. on light acceleration it starts to make the noice and rubbing.
when i turn the tc back on it runs normal no noice on acceleration shift well.

i change 1 week ago the front and rear diff fluid castrol 75w140
and tomorrow i am going to change the t-case fluid.

i hope you can help me because here in europe some jeep dealer don't know what a srt8 is. and to get parts is like to play lotto.

i was now on a drive with my dad and try it a lot of time. when i take normal off from a stop light with tc off it sounds and feels like knocking bang bang bang.
when i turn tc on it is gone.
i think i feel this type of knock even when i drive fast a curve after a few meters it is gone.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

See less See more
#2 ·
Definitely a good idea for you to get the transfer case fluid changed if you don't know when it was last done. As for noise, the TC button in the off position (light off)is the normal driving position for it. Press the button (light on) you will get noise from the Transfer Case. Most often the noise is like a whine or whirring noise. You will also get this noise when you take it through a fast curve & then it disappears as you said in your last sentence. This is normal. A knocking or banging noise is not normal. Let's hope the fluid change takes care of this.

#3 ·
okay thank you for your answer.
I will change it tomorrow and will drive over the week end.
I will also check the front diff bushings when it is tomorrow on the lift.

#4 ·
Make sure you can find the right transfer case fluid over there. You may have to order it online. Standard jeep t-case fluid is not an acceptable substitute.
NV-146 is the correct stuff. Not the NV-2xx used in regular jeeps.

-Frank

#5 ·
hi

yes i order over amazon.com and get the nv146 fluid.
when i change it the fluid what was in have a brown color but was clear.
i put arround 42oz in and read the fluid lvl like like on wkjeep.com

but i don't turn off the tc anymore because i am worry to damage something. when it is on it runs normal

#10 · (Edited)
Glad to hear your noise is almost gone. Amazing what a fluid change does! Do it every 50K km & you should be good to go.

Most people activate the transfer case in snowy/slippery road conditions or if they're stuck. It activates the electric motor & clutches in the case to put more torque to the front wheels.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe in the off position the power is split 10%F & 90%R. When it's turned on that shifts power 40%F & 60% rear. The system is capable of adjusting it further from those ratios as needed.

The diffs are open in these up to 2010 so part of the traction control system has a braking component to it where the brakes are applied to the wheel(s) with the most spin to help get traction. Some have replaced those with limited slip diffs. It's not cheap to do.

Have a read on the system here: http://wkjeeps.com/wk_srt8_specs.htm

#11 ·
Clunking - Bumping at 100 mph ! :(

Hi Hi....

What you described is similar to mine :( I have a pulsating feeling ( very noticeable ) at moderate acceleration starting around 100 mph..... If feels like something terrible will happen if I continue driving at that speed !

I to am living in Germany and asked the Jeep Dealer - but he didn't give me a confident answer and the village mechanic says its probably the drive shaft..... ( I don't think so )

So let me know how it went !!! Im salting a new topic with my problem ... I will be soooo happy of to nail it!!!

thanks and good luck!!
LC

#12 ·
I had the same problem and it was a bad torque converter. You could feel that rubbing grinding/pulsating sensation at light throttle and at speeds over 90mph.

#13 ·
lc

do you speak german or only english?

how many miles/km your car have?
if it has more then 50000km does it get the oil change in the transfare case?
if not i would start with this and the diffoil change.

i order the Transfer case oil nv146 direct from amazon.com and let it sent to germany it was over 50 euro cheaper then in germany with shipping cost and tax

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.