Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Need some help with driveshaft

15K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  jrsrt08 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I have an 06 Jeep SRT8 and have had an issue for the last few months. Whenever I'm coasting to just over 40mph, I begin hearing some weird noise and vibration coming from underneath in the middle of the vehicle.

I took it for service at my Jeep dealership where I was told I needed to replace my transmission support and bracket front cover which cost me well over $800.

Well, the noise and vibration was still there and now I'm being told it's my drive shaft- it is bent in two places. Does anyone recommend an aftermarket piece? I am being quoted $1,500 to get this replaced by my Jeep dealership who I am beginning to think suck at repairing my truck!

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
Where are you located? Start with that and maybe we could recommend a better service shop in your area than your local dealer.

#7 ·
Is it an audible sound or more of a vibration feeling at your feet? It might be your transmission output drive shaft. Not saying that the front drive shaft isn't out of the question but how do they know its bent? They obviously got it wrong the first time, I'm afraid that they will be wrong again at your expense.

Just trying to help. Don't want you getting bent over. (Dealerships don't lube)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
Take your Jeep to Jim and the HEMI Shop in Westbury on Long Island. Give them a call and figure out a plan to get your Jeep there and they will get you straightened out.

#12 ·
Yeah definitely keep us updated. I'm swinging by the HEMI Shop today so I'll let Jim know to expect your call :D Good luck!

#13 ·
Subscribed to this as well.

#16 · (Edited)
last October found that I need front drive shaft it was flinging grease.... replacement was $290 for shaft.....$100 install....the rear/front per stealership are seal units cant be fix.

#17 ·
@ROck39 I want to thank you very much for your recommendation on The Hemi Shop in Westbury Long Island. This guy Jimmy is the man! He went though a bunch of trouble shooting and found that my issue was a torque converter. Well, I got my Jeep back and it's working like a charm. Thank you thank you thank you! I told Jimmy he has a customer for life.

#18 ·
By the way, they originally thought it was the transfer case as all signs pointed to that. But again after he really got in there he found the TC to be working perfectly fine and isolated it to the converter. The noise & vibration was starting in 4th/5th gear which is how he ruled out the TC.

By the way, if anyone is in the tri-state area and needs work done, The Hemi Shop is definately the place to go!

#19 ·
Would it start at low RPM's (1500-2000RPM's) when slightly giving gas cruising around 40mph and less, and then stop after the downshift?

#21 ·
Yep, because I am experiencing this at low RPM's only ... Say if I need to slow down to 30mph for a school zone and the Jeep is cruising @ 1500RPM's or so, when I get out of the school zone and slightly give it gas to speed up just a little I get the same thing nyjeepz explained in the 1st post on this thread. It stops if I quickly give it a little gas and make it down shift to a higher RPM and runs strong at WOT.

#22 ·
Yeah me too, its only when its in a higher gear and low RPMs. WOT or autosticking it to keep it in high RPMs never seems to make it cause the problem. Probably why two different stealerships could never replicate the issue despite multiple trips. Did get a re-built transfer case out of it, but that's a different story.

#25 ·
I know right! I live in NE TX and I don't trust anyone around here! I hate to hear the words "This will be the 1st time we have worked on one of these".

#26 ·
I guess I should check the DFW area for a good Hemi/SRT shop.

Reactions: gspfunk
#27 ·
@TBone5660, it sounds like you had the same issue as I did. The sound and vibration started at speeds around 40ish when just crusiing. If I punched it all was well...

I also noticed the car would hesitate coming out of a turn. Again the torque converter was chocking up. Send me a pm if you want me to really walk you through the problem. I'll give you my cell... I love my truck and it was becoming unenjoyable driving so I'll be more than happy to share my experience so you or anyone else doesn't have to go through the same thing.

Thanks gents!

#28 ·
I also noticed the car would hesitate coming out of a turn. Again the torque converter was chocking up.
This is exactly what i am experiencing! I get the vibration going into turns as well, especially at low rpm's, it will somewhat go away and I feel the power kick back in back if I give it enough gas to downshift. It sounds like I need a new torque converter!

#30 ·
Did it ever come to a point that you heard a slight chattering sound for a split second only at low rpm's going into a shift (very hard to explain this). I have been having the same problems as you did for over 6 months now and here for the last month that slight chattering sound has started.

#32 ·
Reactions: Montag84
#33 ·
Is The Hemi Shop a supporting vendor on this site?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.