Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Major issue here....life threatening

5K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Spanky 
#1 · (Edited)
the pictures speak for themselves but i previously put up help threads about my TC and really still nothing BUT this morning thought id take the jeep to work !! Noise was even louder before, then the steering wheel had play in it and brakes felt alien!! so decided to turn home as the steering was really wobbling now!!so pulled into my driveway and was going in to get bus fare when i noticed silver on my wheels..on closer inspection i noticed it was metal shavings...i thought WTF and my heart stopped when i saw my wheel 2cms clear from the hub! then could feel all the bolts were loose..except for ONE which was sheared off..WTF???

ive learnt before from experience to always double check ive tighten my nuts!! and no one else works on my rig than myself!! so i know for a fact my nuts were 100% tightened from last time!!
also the rubber o-ring i found snapped when i took the wheel off!

any help with why this happened and also maybe finding a replacement part??

All i can say though is this is a true blessing in disguise as i have been doing motorway speeds with this noise!! If i didnt notice the metal shavings i more than likely would have still taken it out to see what the problem was and who knows if it would have lasted!:eek:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Damn dude. That's some seriously scary shit right there!!! U got the MOPAR Angels watching over ya!! Go buy a freakin' Lottery Ticket!!

#5 ·
must be over a month anyway! thats very true and whenever i take a wheel off i always check the rest...i removed my front right last week but didnt check the rest :( i was so frustrated to what was making the noise it slipped my mind

#6 ·
part # for a new hub is 52089434AE

is the hub loose? check the 3 bolts that hold the hub to the steering knuckle. also check the axle nut.

the torque values in ft/lb are:

175 axle nut
75 hub bolts
100 lug nuts

Reactions: SRT8ScoTT
#7 ·
appreciate this thanks! the hub isnt loose at all and the axle nut is A ok ...the disc is also ok! there was lots of play with the disc though and spinning it with my hand i could get the sound of the noise i have been harping on about recently!!

#13 · (Edited)
Have you ever over tightened the lugs? What do you torque them to?

There has to be a reason for the lugs to come loose and a stud to snap off. After some lugs are loose the wobble could snap the stud.

Sent from my iPhone 5

#14 ·
Running loose is most likely what broke the one stud. I noticed your rims are recoated, are the nut seats free and clear of coating? Any paint, clear coat or even polish in the nut seats can cause abnormal nut loosening...

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

#18 ·
Did you ever find out what caused this? I have a 2012 srt8-jeep and have found approximately 2 wheel nuts per wheel that i can move with my fingers . I have tightened them as tight as possible but I can still move the nut back and forward with my fingers but not undo. It seems really strange and unsafe! anyone with any ideas?
Cheers Duncan

#23 ·
Not dangerous as long as the only issue is the SS cover being slightly loose. I would remove the lug nuts and wheel to check everything myself. The SS covers can be damaged by use of an impact wrench, poorly fitting or 12 point socket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.