Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

TCM Problem?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  asphaltgambler 
#1 ·
Got excited after a kill a few weeks ago and downshifted too early. My motor revved waaaay too high! Ever since then my tranny has been getting stuck in certain gears and not shifting correctly but when I turn the car off and restart it, it runs fine for a while then does it again. Took it to the dealer but they can't find anything and there are no codes. It drove perfectly for them. Even after I got it back it drove fine for about a week then did it again. Could it be the TCM?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#2 ·
are you running the stock TCM? i highly doubt it's the TCM... i'm kind of surprised it let you downshift if it sent the RPM's "waaaay too high" but if anyone on here is in your area you could swap their TCM in your rig in about 10-15 mins! that would be a quick way to rule that out...

#3 ·
That happened to me onceon the stock TCM and I went into LIMP mode. I simply pulled over and turn the Rig off and then back on. However I still had a check engine light and that went away after a few drive cycles. Note I did try to see what the code was, but the Trinity could not read it as it was a Transmission code... How fast were you going when you down shifted your tranny? I think I was at 30 mph when it happened to me.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.