Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Windshield Wipers Cycle once the key is turned..?

43K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  calvin.odom 
#1 ·
Hey guys Im new to these trucks and just got me a 2008 Jeep SRT-8. I was wondering if it is normal for the windshield wipers to cycle just one time when the key is turned on or off. Is there a setting for this? All of the wipers front and back work fine, and I have the front wipers on the off position. Its just if I go get in the truck now and turn the key on the wipers will make one cycle, same when I turn the ignition off.

#3 ·
They are clean. And I have the wiper switch in the (o) position.

#5 ·
When you say auto mode did you mean rain sense mode? I have that turned off in the system settings and the switch works perfect. Not quite sure why the wipers cycle when I turn the key... Very strange!

#6 ·
Mine does it too. It's a real pain at the track when you have your car number and et written on the windshield and the wipers smear it every time you start the truck

#11 ·
LOL Matt! Mine just quit doing it after turning auto mode off in the system settings. It seems if I use my washer fluid to clean my windshield it will do it till the next day and then stops by itself.

#13 ·
I have an 06 and the wipers usually cycle when I turn the ignition on. It's a 90% of the time for me but I narrowed it down to just the windshield being a little dirty. Mine don't cycle for a day and a half after a car wash, but then the windshield gets a little dusty from the parking garage and the wipers start a cycle when I turn the ignition.

So: dirty windshield (could be just dust) or a leaf on the sensor? idn..

#15 ·
So it happened to be raining on my way home after this. I turned them on hi they work fine no problems. Then I go to the middle settings and it's working perfect all of a sudden goes all the way down like its supposed to and come on when the windshield is wet enough. Then I get home twist the knob to the "0" spot and they go all the way down. Start it back up they dont go on without me doing it. So I'd say what ever it was fixed itself. Could have been dirty also I just got back from ct couple days previous.

#17 ·
My 2006 Laredo does the same thing and service department has no clue but says they will change out one expensive part after another until maybe it could be fixed but with no guarantee and at owner expense. They thought it was the ignition but that got changed out under recall. No luck. Next would be the control stick on the steering column. but no guarantee. It could be in one of the chips, but they wouldn't know which one to guess at first. Yikes :(

#18 ·
After searching, this is the existing thread that most closely resembles my front wiper issues on my '07 SRT8 JGC, and I'm looking for some help...

Let it be known I have the Rain Sense feature "auto mode" turned completely off as per the on-screen menu options. I do not think it ever seemed to work very well for me and I understand exactly how it is "supposed" to work (e.g. see Jeep Grand Cherokee WK - Rain Sensing wiper system). There never seemed to be any rhyme, reason, or consistency as to when they would come on, at what speed, or when they would go off. There were occasional times it was pouring, and they would barely run if at all for example. But this was prior to my current issue showing its face.

The Problem:
I would say that about ~90% of the time I start my wipers (aka turn them to any ON position from the OFF position), regardless of speed or using the intermittent feature, they tend to want to park about ~2-3 inches up from the bottom of the windshield, just enough to be really annoyingly in the bottom of my view. The other ~10% of the time (or less), they actually park all the way down. If I have to use them, even for just one quick swipe, I almost always have to keep moving the one swipe lever until they decide to park correctly at the bottom of the wind shield again. Very rarely am I lucky enough to have them go all the way down on the first try/swipe. I may seldom be lucky enough that it may take only a couple of one swipe cycles, but on many occasions it can take as many as 30 or more of these one swipe cycles until the wipers finally come to rest/park at the correct bottom position (and then I am that weird guy running his wipers excessively for no apparent seeming reason to others at a stop light lol).

If, and only IF, I happen to leave the wipers in the incorrect 2-3 inches up park position, then they will swipe once upon ignition off, and will also swipe again upon ignition on (assuming I'm not lucky enough that one of these ignition on/off event swipes takes them all the way down). If I keep swiping in one cycle intervals until they finally park properly, then they will not swipe at ignition on/off events bat all. Hence the other half of my commitment to get them all the way down. Plus, I'm in FL where rain can be a daily thing.

ANY IDEAS?!?!?

I was thinking of trying a new wiper motor (since the park cam feature is built in) for about $50 at Autozone or wherever, but wanted to look here for guidance first (in case it's something outside of the motor). This has been going on for well over a year now, and seems to slowly get worse (worse meaning the number of one-swipe cycles before I can get them to park proper).

Greatly Appreciated!

#19 ·
snafu2dj,

I have exactly the same issue you describe. Here in the UK. I initially had the problem when the Rain Sense was turned on. I have for a few months been experiencing the issue when Rain Sense is turned off. So now no matter whether Rain Sense is on or off the wipers will cycle once. Sometimes twice. Then when they are supposed to stop in the park position till the next wipe they continue to rise and stop about 1-2 inches above the normal park position. Like you i have to manually cycle the wipers a few times to get it back in the park position.

When the wipers are in this raised position none of the intermittent wipe speeds work at all until manually cycled or i move the speed setting to the next higher level or are fully on.

When in the raised position they will cycle when i turn the ignition on or off or both until parked properly.

I am pretty meticulous when it comes to a clean windshield and its regularly cleaned when i wash the car.

From the reading i have done so far on this i had read about cleaning the wiring contacts on the motor assembly. I am not sure if this could be the issue or not.

I am wondering if you ever found the solution to your problem at all. Did a replacement motor resolve the problem? Did you replace the rain sensor? I have my doubts about changing the multi-function stalk as i think its just a switch and would just be sending the switch signal to the motor. When i select the next higher speed setting it cycles the wipers a couple of times.

If any other members have had issues like this i would be grateful to know how you resolved the issue.

Many thanks.

#20 ·
cg084!!! I've got great news!

Yes, I finally did figure out my issues after I had posted this last year!!! I apologize I had forgotten to update this thread, but I am glad you asked and gave me reason to do so. So here is what happened...

I made a friend in a local auto parts store that was letting buy parts, try them, and return if they did not solve my problem. I started with the wiper motor, but to no resolution. Then I moved on to the entire the multi-function stalk, but again, no resolution. After wasting all of this time and effort (but so glad I was able to return all for a refund), I finally got into trying to replace the relay. I finally found my resolution merely in replacing a simple relay that cost me just a few bucks! I was kicking myself for not starting there in the first place, and it was even mentioned earlier in this thread too! Before I had even bought the relay, I actually switched the horn relay to the wiper relay position in the fuse/relay box under the hood since it was the exact same part number, and VOILA!!!! So I immediately sourced the relay and made my purchase for the final fix!

Since then, I actually (just recently) sold my Steel Blue '07 WK1 SRT8 Jeep, and upgraded to a newer '14 White WK2 SRT Jeep. So far it's been great, but there are a few things I miss about the '07. The '07 just felt a bit faster as well. There are also several things I like much better with the '14!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.