Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Strange over temp

4K views 47 replies 8 participants last post by  ltleo 
#1 ·
Ok...hopefully omeone can shed some light on a strange situation I'm dealing with. I have gotten an trans over temp warning via the dashboard info center. No other lights, no codes, no issues while driving... here is the strange part...
It only happen while driving to and back from Del (HHP- was replacing my timing chain). Basically on the road for many be an hour and a half at the time, driving speeds from 80-100.

Now I do have a full built trans paramount C with dominator and paramount TCM and transfercase. Along with a trans cooler. All fluids were just changed again as always, including both diff and transfer. I did notice that the temp reading in the digital aspect was up to 230 and that's when the warning would come on, but the analog temp was just below the the third line after the 180 and way before the 215. I do also have a 180 temp stat, along with coolent just changed..again.. could this be a faulty sensor? Also after my dash kinda reset, the tire tps lights came on and all tires pond preasure went to dash lines.. this stayed that way for a few minutes before resetting itself. The cooler fan is working, and after talking with Bill previous he suggested the fan was blowing in the wrong direction (not sucking up) so I had it switched.

This does not happen during city driving and no issues with the trans. The fluid is a few months old and was also checked.

Any thoughts?

See less See more
#4 ·
I know the temps I'm referring to are not really the trans temps but via the engine temp gauges both digital and analog. I'm wondering if this can be an issue with the flex plate. The reason I had the timing chain replaced again is due to a intermittent tic during idle. Not the Hemi tick. Sounded like it was coming from timing chain area, as the side retainers were lose and slapped no the plate. But I still have the tic. Also only after when the jeep,is warmed up. We checked everything else and everything was good.

This would be the second time I had a cracked flex plate, and the first one was even an ATI.

#6 ·
Thank you brother. They said the level was good and all. Because it happend on the way down, I had ask them to check it as they refeverse the trans cooler as Bill instructed. They said both diff were at proper level and clean and transfercase (I just had them all changed last month) and the trans level was good. When I told them to change it and the filter they said it wasn't needed.

I'll take her in and have it changed anyway. The fluid is under a year with maybe two,thousand miles if that.

#11 ·
Yes reverse the fan I was referring to the wires correct. It was blowing down and Bill suggested it should always be blowing up or sucking up into the cooler.

Lol, no the trans cooler was installed via True St. I was at the engine installers due to a click that they looked at as they were the builders. But you could be extremely correct as it was interesting experience that I'd rather not post lol.

#14 ·
So, you guys think this is just a fluid level issue? Not actually something wrong with the Trans? I'm stuck here as not sure what else to do or who to go to? Again, no issues at all driving....grant I don't drive her much other then the last back and forth trips to HHP. But I can beat on her, no issues...fan comes on... it was just after driving 90-100 on the highway for an hour or more it gave the notice in the info center.... but still drove fine and once I backed off to 70 or so for a bit it went off.

Driving RPMs where at 3

#16 ·
Will do. I shall report back. Thank you for the guidance. Tell you one thing... once I get this figured out, I'm done adding things... time to,just enjoy her.....

#17 ·
So, just got back from having the trans looks at and fluid checked. I was referenced EMP via Paramount in NY. True Street did the install and work, but couldn't get in. So the fluid was over filled but what they confirmed was that the block temp sensor regulator was removed from my transmission and the lines are run director into,the added trans cooler and back. Basically by passing the stock set up completely. So rather then having the added trans cooler and stock cooler I'm just running on the small bm trans cooler, while also missing the temp regulation.

Baffled... smh... I just give up... can I ver have work completed correctly when I'm paying to dollar?

Still,have the tic that sounds bad also for ver since we did the heads.... If I can actually find a place that actually can mpletes work with out rushing...I'm going to have them rebuild this whole thing.

#25 ·
So, just got back from having the trans looks at and fluid checked. I was referenced EMP via Paramount in NY. True Street did the install and work, but couldn't get in. So the fluid was over filled but what they confirmed was that the block temp sensor regulator was removed from my transmission and the lines are run director into,the added trans cooler and back. Basically by passing the stock set up completely. So rather then having the added trans cooler and stock cooler I'm just running on the small bm trans cooler, while also missing the temp regulation.
While the fluid level is important, I'm pretty sure if you ask Paramount the cooler is installed correctly. Is your cooler not a thermostat style or does your fan run all the time?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: ltleo
#20 ·
Yes, def, not leak...it's a loud slap... almost like maybe a mismmeasured rod or something.. was not there before the Thitek and changing what ever a stage 4 cam to a stage 5 cam is... it's loud.. actually worse after replacing timing chain set up...

I'm really thinking of sending this Jeep somewhere and having the whole thing rebuilt... sad since it's basically new. Just tired of gong back and forth and nothing being fixed or given the attention I paid for and paying for... not to mention my time and lack of respect for my time...

I agree Tim.... not rocket science...but.... when plans are booked out and only one mechanic doing everything... what can you expect...

Reactions: mondo
#21 ·
My problem...I'm to nice and pay... I'm done... if I would let lose just a tenth of what I've seen and how I've been treated people would not believe it... but that will get me nowhere..as fanboys will just attack the victim.

#22 ·
Makes me want to find top mechanics that car and have pride... I'll tell them pick any facility you want... I'll buy it, set you up... do the work, I'll finance it all, just send me a check each month you keep,the rest... only condition.... must provide a great finished product, while supporting the customer.... not like family because lets face it... all our family's are disfunctional..who wants that..... treat them like business board members who hold your careers in your success....

#23 · (Edited)
The ticking is a loud slap...and it rings... when I was at the shop today, they were like wtf is that? They heard it before I even said anything as my Jeep was idling pulling into,the lot... every other shop ncluding builders said not a leak or manifold. I called as soon as I got,home a week and a half ago after timing chain replacement. Still waiting to,near back... called a few times with out a response. So... I have the trans temp via a install that was supposed to,be via an authoritative installer that I have a strange set up... each time I call, I get call me back next week... ..so time to move on... but that's an easy fix at least now that I know what's up... the slap tic noise during idle....I need to break down the whole motor.. or at least long block as it never did before I replaced the BES heads for the Thiteks and a perfectly good cam for I think a bigger cam...

So d, bite the bullit and have a new builder look at this and void my wrnty from original builders...or continue this back and forth...missing work driving six hrs each time... waiting 13 hrs gen when I have an appointment with out work being started as other vechicles are worked on and then being stuck out of state...then being forced to rent a room...just to,still have the same issue

#26 · (Edited)
Paramount's. cooler fan is set to come on at a set temperature and is meant only to be an auxiliary unit. The fan on the unit is a puller style fan so orientation is critical.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/de...ing-products&gclid=CLmmwffpodQCFQdWDQodZ1oETg

This is the unit or one very similar is what they use. There is a built in thermal switch in the fan. Paramount use to sell the B&M auxiliary unit that turned the fan on at 175 degrees.

Being overfilled actually has a lot to do with it. The computer determines transmission temperature via a float not a thermistor(like your coolant and oil temp). If you are overfilled the computer cannot estimate temperature correctly (it will estimate the temperature as warmer than reality) and it will affect TCC lock up and clutch pack engagement. It appears there were multiple issues that compounded this problem.

Paramount helped Lenny on fan spin direction not how to install it in line with his unit. Any decent shop should have the knowledge to do it correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 · (Edited)
"My location of the BM cooler is installed right under the engine on the cross bar. Bill has said that's wrong, but that's where True installed it. I did ask when it was installed why, and I was told it didn't matter. So again...since I was at the place Paramount sent me for the install and they do,it all the time...how can I argue?"

There is nothing wrong with the location of your trans cooler, leave it there, it is fine. You go to 10 shops and they will find 10 different places to put the damn thing. You have other issues going on that may need to be addressed. I know Jim personally and he knows what the F@Ck he is doing. I have seen him find a problem in 2 minutes that would take most shops 30 minutes to find and his team is very fast and efficient! I have no problem giving my car keys to Jim and letting him work on my Jeep, where other shops would not come within 5 feet of my ride. Different shops have different ways of doing things and different schools of thought, not to say anyone is doing it wrong, it's just a difference of opinion and practice.

Lenny, this may sound crazy, but just give "Harambe/Viking" your Jeep and keys and an Undisclosed amount of Money, explain to him all of the problems that you are experiencing, rent a car while he works on it, and I guarantee when you get it back, all of your problems will be gone/solved :grin2:

#34 · (Edited)
I have absolutely no problem with that solution at all!!! But I think we are cross country from eachother.

I haven't had any issues with Jim either. I'm just getting dizzy from the you need to do this or that. I just want it fixed. Hopefully his wife has the baby this week, and then he can get me in.

#38 ·
This is true, however, nowadays, they put them anywhere. Yes, I am quite familiar with the terminology...These so called auxiliary coolers are now so big and so powerful, they would blow you from VMP to Maple Grove Raceway to attend the MSHS Shootout there and then back home to spend time with Harambe Junior and IMO there is nothing really auxiliary about them :surprise::grin2: I hope you see what I did there since you like to play with words :wink2:

#46 ·
Anyone know if Bill from Paramount is around? I've sent a few emails along with voice messages. Strange I haven't gotten a response. Normally he always gets back to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.