Factory HID headlights not working properly, dealer refusing to fix under warranty - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Senior Contributing Member

Factory HID headlights not working properly, dealer refusing to fix under warranty

i have an 08 with the oem auto level hids, which are acting up & making the jeep a pain to drive at night. the sensors worked fine up until this past winter.

most of the time the headlights were pointed completely down, making it difficult to drive at night. in the rare case they were pointed up & at normal level, they would jitter & bounce all over the place. they would still auto level at startup, but otherwise they were not working properly.

the crappy weather has finally subsided where i live, so i decided to take it in to the dealer to have things checked out. i have a maxcare warranty so i figure everything will be fixed & i will be on my way. boy was i wrong.

service advisor calls me back and says: "yea the jeep has a level sensor performance code, but since your lowered theres nothing we can do about that. the module can't compensate for the lowered ride height so unless you install the factory springs your going to have to live with the lights pointed down"

i call back & state that this is a common issue with these sensors to go bad due to where the sensors are located. there are plenty of jeeps on this forum, stock & lowered who have had issues with the factory hid sensors/modules. i also proceed to tell him that there is a manual adjustment on the back of the lights & asked if he could get the tech to raise them up. i also stated that i would like more information on the code that was thrown so i can research it. he says he will have the tech look at it again.

not long after that i get a phone call. its the service advisor again. same deal as before: "yea theres no adjustment on the lights & the tech erased the code, you can come pick the jeep up"

i ended up raising the lights up on my own so i could at least drive at night. they still jitter/bounce all over & the auto level at startup has stopped working as well. whenever i hit the gas they raise up a lot, when i let off they drop. here is a jeep on youtube with similar issues:

later that day i talk to my close friend, who is a tech at another local jeep dealer. he proceeds to tell me chrysler is cracking down on claims because of issues in the past & that anything over $1000 maxcare requires a rep to come out & look at the vehicle. he agreed that the eibachs are probably not to blame, and that they probably used that excuse to avoid any type of problems that may arise if a rep were to come out for approval & find out the jeep was lowered. i told him that i am tempted to write a letter/email to chrysler, but he merely stated that I'm probably pissing up the wrong tree, as they are tired of getting screwed and are rejecting claims left & right for the simplest things.

regardless I'm kinda ticked off & seriously contemplating selling the jeep. any info from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by 2quic4u; 05-16-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:30 PM

Have you checked BOTH leveling sensors? There's one on the front upper control arm, and one on the rear above the axle. On my 08, I discovered the metal bracket was severely corroded and perforated. I could not find just the bracket, as you need to purchase the entire sensor. A few hours of metal fabrication and I made one.

2008 GC SRT8 - Kooks Jet-Hot ceramic coated long tubes with hi-flow Magnaflow cats, Borla T-type, SLP under drive pulley, Volant CAI with brake duct mod, Predator tuned, Eibach Pro-kit springs, QA1 rear shocks, twin- sub Kickers

Last edited by RamAir; 05-16-2017 at 10:35 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Both of the sensors look good. One is on the stem on the front a arm & the other one is mounted to the rear upper control arm, both on the passanger side. My money is on the headlamp mounted sensor, but i could be wrong. This is just frustrating.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

I no longer have my 08' but mine was doing this as well. I had it in the shop for other work and mentioned what was going on. They said a software update would remedy the problem. I thought for sure it was mechanical. Nope, software flash fixed the problem. They didn't charge me for it either since it was in the shop getting other stuff done.

Matt

2008 GCSRT8, Red Rock Crystal, All options except engine block heater
1998 GC5.9, Deep Slate, Sold
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate5.9 View Post
I no longer have my 08' but mine was doing this as well. I had it in the shop for other work and mentioned what was going on. They said a software update would remedy the problem. I thought for sure it was mechanical. Nope, software flash fixed the problem. They didn't charge me for it either since it was in the shop getting other stuff done.
I have heard of a software update being available when the sensors are actually fine & not shorted out. I dont think mine are bad honestly & that all it needs is a flash. Sucks cause they are basically refusing to do anything unless i ditch the eibachs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode