Disgusted by local dealership(s) experience(s) - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service If you are having some problems with your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and need assistance in troubleshooting and diagnosing the problem, this is the proper place to discuss it. Were you treated fairly or poorly at a dealer? Warranty issues? Let us know.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By cfm56

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Disgusted by local dealership(s) experience(s)

Here's my long rant regarding Ron Tonkin Jeep and Findlay Jeep in the portland oregon area (excuse the length of this as it is a long one). FYI (i suggest to stay far away from both when it comes to purchasing anything and or getting service/warranty work done).

Back in Nov 16, we purchased our 14 jeep srt from a local bmw dealership as a low mile trade in (10k miles). After purchasing it, i noticed both headlights had the led segment go blue, carbon trim peeling off above the glove compartment (this all happened in a short time after purchasing it). We also noticed that the hvac system likes to go super hot or cold at random times after prolonged periods of driving (I've experienced this in new jeep cherokee rentals as well...). All four wheels have black chrome finish issues that look like they have been sand blasted (middle of spoke-outwards towards the lip of the wheel). My drivers seat squeaks and makes a popping sound every time i drive it.

In december we took our jeep into ron tonkin to have all these items addressed. My gut feeling when i walked in this place told me to go elsewhere but i decided to not listen and give them a chance (this dealership is like walking into a greasy shop with no person that cares to be professional, keep the place clean and presentable, care that you are a customer, speak like a professional that is handling their customer etc). Oh and the employees constantly walking into the small dingy customer waiting lounge to get coffee and snacks was very "impressive" (I'm being sarcastic). The service advisor from the moment i spoke with him spoke and acted as some "know it all" arrogant "I'm so important" "loud" type of person. It was a bit of a shock to have someone show such a lack of professionalism and crudeness towards a customer (I've never experienced this at any dealer in my life with any type of car from vw's-bmw's-to our jeep). The jeep was kept for almost three weeks (ridiculous) while they found both headlights across the country and addressed the transmission recall for the shifter issue. The tech stated that the wheels had been sprayed with something else and that they were not under warranty. The dashboard issue was blown off as normal and was told that "the other srt jeeps on the lot have the same condition". The seat was supposedly lubed up but ended up being even worse then before. I also noticed that the drivers side headlight led ring is white (similar to the led strip beneath it), while the passenger side is the normal led white that has that slightly blueish hue to it.

I decided that i would wait till spring to return to another dealership to have these items addressed again. Hence my visit to Findlay Jeep in wilsonville. I went to this dealership based off of their online rating, curb appeal etc.

Upon the initial eval of my complaints the service advisor came across courteous and professional but stated multiple insinuations to what i may be thinking or hearing.When i heard him giving me excuses at the initial evaluation on what he thinks i was hearing or feeling, i had a feeling they wouldn't "find" anything or everything would be good for them.

I brought up the wheels, they stated that i had aftermarket tires on and that the tire shop possibly caused the finish to wear off (this theory sure makes a lot of sense that 60% of each wheel and or more has black chrome flaked off due to my tire install), was told that the wheels are curbed. He stated this after seeing some color on one of the sidewalls of one tire (the wheels have no curbing damage whatsoever). He also stated that possibly the way the wheels were cleaned caused the finish to come off. I was given every flipping excuse as to why the wheels are not covered under warranty or how its my fault.

Regarding the headlight ring issue, i was told that both headlight rings look the same if you look at each light individually and that its not a warrantable item (this doesn't even make logical sense). I was verbally told by the service advisor that just because the color looks "weird" to me doesn't mean they are going to change it. I never said they looked weird, i just stated that both headlights have a different color ring and that every jeep out there with this option have led rings like the color of my passenger side one.

We had a clunk/popping sound when turning and going over bumps while it was colder outside (this was intermittent and lately has not done it as the weather has warmed up). The tech of course couldn't duplicate this.

Drivers side fender flare trim moves outwards from the bumper by an inch (if you slightly pull on it. I found this out when i washing the jeep and the flare deviated inwards with slight pressure) as though a clip or retainment hardware is worn/missing. The passenger side doesn't do this. The tech said they could not duplicate this even though i showed the service advisor exactly what i was talking about.

Brembo brake caliper up front seems to have clear coat worn off allowing for the caliper to be stained in a couple of areas. THE dealership told me the brake calipers had brake dust on them and this was normal (i had cleaned them prior to bringing the jeep in and showed the service advisor that they were stained due to lack of a clear coat). Not a warranty item i was told

On high the drivers side wiper blade hits the fuselage at the top of the stroke while driving. It did this with oem blades and the bosch ones i installed afterwards. The tech stated that this was due to aftermarket flex blades that "whip"..he recommended that i install oem blades.

Drivers door panel has wrinkles in the soft touch material where your arm normally lays. They stated they could not find a problem (i pointed it out, it is obvious and easy to see but yet they somehow couldn't see these wrinkles or defect in the material)

I mentioned the drivers seat being very annoying with its creaking and popping sounds when I'm getting into the jeep or driving it. The tech stated that he couldn't get the seat to squeak! Guess what happens when my lard ass gets in (I'm about 230), squeaks and pops! Even when i drive it!!! It is super annoying because you cannot always turn up the music to not hear the seat.

Complained about a rattle coming from the interior hatch area, of course i was told no rattle noted while they test drove it. Guess what i hear along with the seat when i get in it after picking it up? the f'n rattle

passenger side taillight assembly seems loose compared to the drivers side (you can push or pull the outboard tail light on the passenger side about a 1/8 of an inch while the drivers side is completely solid with no movement). I was verbally told by the service advisor that this is normal...he couldn't explain to me why the other side did not have such movement. The tech didn't even both writing this up in his post inspection report.

I noticed the tow receiver srt cover had the right side clip not securing in place and that only the left side did. Upon further inspection on my part i noticed that the female clip seemed worn and or that a piece of it was missing not giving the male side enough surface material to engage. When i brought this up i was told that no issue was found and that the clip seats in place and on top of this since that cover gets removed and installed often, that its not a warranty covered item. We never towed with our jeep and the receiver looks like new. After picking up the jeep, i felt underneath and felt the clip popped out again.

At this point i have the SRT customer care team involved and I sure hope they can do something for a change.

I will report back and thanks for reading my long rant/review of these two dealerships. I have one more dealer locally that i will try out, otherwise i give up on the dealership network for FCA. Had i comprehended the lack of dealership support with the jeep, i wouldn't have purchased one. Its been that frustrating. Its as if though the dealerships do not want to work on the jeep and or gives any excuse to get out of warranty work. I wonder why. We considered possibly doing a durango srt8 in the next 1-2 years or possibly gone with a track hawk. After this experience with our 14 jeep, i cannot spend that type of money on another FCA product only to be treated this way every time we go into a dealership. Even VW did a better job compared to jeep/dodge at the dealership level.
madcoder likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

I had an issue with the LED running lights or whatever they are in the sealed housing. One of the LED's turned purple. So far my dealership, not who I bought from, has been very good. The lamp to a bit to get, but was replaced. Both of my front calipers had clear come off, took a few calls but Brembo agreed to replace them. My carbon trim is coming off above the glove box, my steering wheel bottom has started to de laminate, one day i will slice a finger off on it. However the part is at the dealer, i just scheduled to get it repaired. Luckily I haven't had any seat issues. Good luck, you just seem to get crappy dealers.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Ive sent SRT Premium Customer Care photos of the cosmetic issues and hope they will get something done. Its odd that after i picked it up from the dealer and was driving home, i got a clunk/spring unsprung sound from the rear when i was turning downhill onto another hill at an intersection. Today i heard the noise a couple of times again under similar driving conditions (at 20mph or so). It almost feels as though you ran something over and its whiplashing against the undercarriage.

I cannot see anything wrong visually by crawling underneath and as its an intermittent fault, i fear that this is something else that will be hard to diagnose till it goes into a hard fault where its making this noise all the time. Anyone every experience this? (like a spring "boinging" type of sound and feel with a thump at the same time when the vehicle is rotating through a turn going downhill and turning onto another street/road)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode