Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Possible Speed Sensor problem?

9K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  daveenty 
#1 ·
Had a few issues in the last few days with my 2006 Jeep.

I set off the other morning just to go to the shops and after less than a minute the dash was lit up with ABS, ESP/BAS & traction lights. these went out after a couple of minutes so I assumed that there was a bit of ice around which threw the system. It was fine for the rest of the day so I left it. However, the same thing happened the next day in roughly the same place so, when I got back home, I put a generic code reader on it. (ELM with Torque app on phone)

The codes which came up were U140B and U1417, though that's as far as my reader goes, not explaining what they actually mean. A couple of minutes Googling leads me to believe that both of these points to a speed sensor, probably left rear, though no-one seems 100% on this, and I don't want to just start throwing parts at it hoping it will cure it.

This morning I cleared the codes and disconnected the battery for a few minutes, in the hope that it may reset itself but it's actually gone worse now. I set off today, the lights did there usual thing of coming on then going off after a minute or so, but this time the traction light stayed on and my acceleration was limited as, I'm assuming, the car thought the wheels were spinning. I also got a message in the display telling me "Service 4WD" which I've never seen before.

I've tried to get it into a friend's garage today but he's booked solid and going away for the weekend, not back till Tuesday. My nearest main dealer is over an hour away and they're not the most accommodating or friendly people, so I'm just wondering if anyone had an idea what this could be and how I could get it sorted quickly, as I need the car on the road ASAP.

See less See more
#4 ·
Appreciate your prompt and helpful reply though, unfortunately, we don't have any stores like these in the UK. :(

I've decided to leave it till next week now as I'm going away for the weekend in the morning. I did want to use it really, though the weather's looking good so I'll drag the MB out of hibernation and give it a run out.

#7 ·
Just to put this to bed, I changed the left rear ABS sensor and all is now good, lights went off after a little drive round so I've now cleared the fault codes on the ECU. :)

Unfortunately, the sensor had decided that it didn't want to be changed though, and really was a pain to get out. The retaining bolt came out easily but the sensor, after moving a few millimetres, decided that it was staying. No room to get grips on it, not enough grip with pliers and eventually it snapped in half. I didn't want to drill it, as it would have left a load of plastic swarf in the hub, so decided that the logical and easiest way to sort it was to remove the calliper and rotor (which came off a lot easier than expected), move the top parking brake shoe out of the way and smack the sensor from behind. I then decided to clean the sensor ring up as it was a bit greasy and then re-assembled it all.

TL;DR: Basically a 15 - 20 minute job turned into nearly 2 hours due to one little piece of plastic refusing to move. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.