Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Question concerning Stage 2 VB

2K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  machwon04 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, in my last thread, I was asking for help identifying a noise: http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/8-wk1-troubleshooting-problems-discussion-dealer-service/218770-help-identifying-squeal.html

I believe I am getting closer. I know I have a Paramount Stage 2 VB installed (previous owner). We have pinpointed the "squeal" to the transmission. It isn't making any vibrations, clunking, I can't feel anything etc - with foot on the break, going from P to D or D to R or R back to D, without releasing the break, it makes a low-volume squeal as it goes into the selected gear. IT does nothing when going into N. It'll also do it upon shutting the ignition off. It sounds hydraulic in nature - like liquid or air squeezing past something. My guess is this started after the install of the Stage 2 VB - whether it be the VB itself or one (or both) of the pressure solenoids. The trans fluid has been changed and it made the sound before and after with no changes. I have taken 2 vids, though I have no idea how to get them on here. My mechanic and I are thinking the brown top pressure solenoids need to be replaced. Would these be the cause of such a noise? Is it more likely that the VB itself is the issue? I've used the "contact" page on Paramount's website asking for an email address I can send the vids to, but haven't gotten a response yet. I will call them later if they do not respond soon, but I wanted to get this out there and see what thoughts/ideas came back (I'm sure Paramount is going to try to say it isn't their VB so....)

Uploaded a vid:

See less See more
#5 ·
Paramount is saying that the addition of a deep sump trans pan could be the fix, due to the fact the VB exhausts pressure out the bottom directly at the pan. I'm not sure I believe that is the problem based on the sound of the noise itself, but does that sound plausible?

#6 ·
I guess that could be it, but I think many have the aftermarket VB and I can't say I heard of anyone reporting this issue (I very well could be mistaken). Believe me I am sure they would if there was an issue. Don't get me wrong, paramount is a great company and they build some great products. I have a conquerer trans from them with whatever upgraded VB that goes in it and my pan is normal size and not deep sump. Did you send them the video? Typically they are very responsive and helpful. Bill has called me in between races to answer my questions after my purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I have this same exact noise (maybe a bit higher pitch). Original owner since 2007, never had this noise before. Did the VB upgrade in 2014. Shortly after I noticed this identical noise while waiting at a drive-through. Bill told me it's probably a resonance due to the different pressures within the modified VB. It performs great so I haven't thought about it and can't hear the squeal unless I specifically listen for it. I think it gives it more character!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.