Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

The Dreaded Service 4WD Message

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Hartsa69 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,

I originally posted this is the wrong forum, mods feel free to delete the posting in the performance forum. I started getting the Service 4WD message on my dash a few months ago on my 06 70,000k SRT. No noticeable changes when driving the Jeep. The message would come on randomly upon starting the Jeep and would disappear if I turned it off and then back on again. Being the overly cautious person I am, I took the Jeep to the dealer a couple weeks back and was told that they believe it was the Transfer Case Motor actuator and that it would be $600+ to replace. Thanks to this forum, I learned it was a simple swap so I did it myself. I am still getting the message on random start ups, even after putting in a new transfer case actuator. Does the code need to be reset? If so, how is that done? Everything is working fine. I did a test launch and it gripped just fine. No weird noises with TC on/off. No weird grinds when making sharp turns. I am baffled. The only symptom is the Service 4WD message is coming on randomly when I start it up. TC fluid was changed last year.

Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Mike

#2 ·
Does the code need to be reset?
I don't have a WK1 but the standard answer to that question on WK2s is to disconnect the battery for 5 minutes so it reboots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.