Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Big Problem....

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  SRTYA 
#1 ·
I was out driving last night, cruising at about 55 or so. Accelerated to pass a car, about half throttle. Tranny downshifted to a lower gear. As soon as it shifted, I heard a loud bang from the transmission area. Lost complete power to the wheels. Limped my way into a parking lot and had to get it towed to the dealership. I can shift the tranny from park to drive, but nothing happens. When it is in park, the car can just roll. By the sound of it, its pretty F'd up. Anybody else have this kind of issue.

#2 ·
Ouch! Sorry to hear man, let us know what the dealer tells you. Definitely sounds like a new tranny for you! Does it make any nasty noises when you roll it? Sounds like a busted yolk or input/output shaft

#4 ·
when the car is turned off, it doesnt make any noise when you roll it. When the car is on and you put it into reverse or drive, it gives a buzzing/whinning noise. (kinda sounds like the noise it makes when you miss a shift in a manual......not that I would know what that sounds like haha) Dropped it off around 830ish this morning. Still waiting for them to call me back. I have almost 20K miles on it right not....so its still fairly new.

#5 ·
wow time for new tranmission

#9 ·
I grenaded the tranny on my wife’s 07 Tahoe a couple of months ago 35,000 miles. My story exactly matches what you just said. Accelerated to pass a car on the interstate (3/4 throttle) then a big bang followed by free wheeling and whining like what was left of the teeth on the gears were rubbing together. Ended up with a new tranny under warranty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.