Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Transmission help / Limp mode?

9K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  MJ2315 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. Completely randomly the jeep wouldn't shift out of first gear. Turned it off, drove her normally through 5 gears at highway speed and all was fine. Drove home later tonight and caught a red light. Went to accelerate and nothing at all. Put her in park, then back in drive and limped her in first gear into a Wawa. Turned her off and drove home and she wouldn't shift out of second gear the WHOLE time. Tripped a CEL and hooked up my predator - no codes available!? Can anyone narrow this down? I've read a number of threads pertaining to similar situations and there are a litany of different suggestions. Truck runs perfect before this, 42k miles. Thanks

#2 ·
First thing I would do is verify you have the proper level of transmission fluid in the transmission. Note you will have to drive the jeep for 30 mins to get the trans fluid to 160 to 170°F and it should read around 65mm with the Miller 9336a dipstick. Then go from there man.

#4 ·
Had these issues and ended up needing a new tranny. Hope it's not the same for you.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. I cleared the CEL with the predator (still showing no codes). I also pulled the F29 dude for a PCM reset. Mind you, I'm trying simple solutions first. I fired her up and she is shifting thru all the gears perfectly cold and warm. No CEL after 15mins. All power, all speeds, downshifts, etc. Will update. Wishing for the best. You guys are awesome.

#7 ·
Drove fine for another trip to a store. On the way back I came to a yield - upon accelerating it was holding 2nd? Pulled in 711 and put her in reverse - now there is no reverse. Put it back in drive and no drive. Put her in park and was ok. Still no CEL. Turned her off and back on. Reverse worked perfectly smooth and so did drive thru all the gears home. Turning on my street caught a CEL. Ran diagnostics with the predator and SHOWING NO CODES. WTF? Anyone?

#8 ·
Sounds like a faulty wheel speed sensor.

Reactions: TheBRICK
#9 ·
Reason you're not seeing codes is the Predator only reads ENGINE codes. You are getting either TRANNY, ESM, ABS, or FDCM codes. You need to go to a Pep Boys or somewhere that has a scanner that will read ALL the codes. It will tell you what is wrong. Post up what codes you are getting.

#10 ·
Thanks Harrison, I'm profoundly ignorant. Codes are p0717 and p2784. Help?

#12 ·
sounds like the same problem i had, my son is a tech at a dodge dealer, checked the codes and it ended up being the leader board inside the trans, you have to remove the valve body and it's attached to it. not saying that's the problem but it sound like the same issues i was having with my '07......good luck!

#13 ·
Thanks fellas. Worked on it with a friend last night. He cleared the codes with his scanner. Drove her around for about 20 minutes with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever, shifting smoothly, same as before. Then it went into limp mode again, stuck in 2nd gear. Scanned her again and getting the same P0717 code. The truck is cherry and all maintenance has been done accordingly, just sucks with only 40k miles. Taking her to the transmission shop tonight :-/

Anybody replace an input speed sensor? Still wondering if this is it.

#14 ·
Gonna bump this because I have a (naive) question. Could it be possible the Diablosport Johan tune that I've had on the truck for the past few years (perfect btw) could have somehow been compromised? Could going back to the stock tune / canned tune or reinstalling the cmr tune be advantageous?

#16 ·
Well, I guess I was a bit paranoid. Replaced the input speed sensor and flushed / serviced the transmission fluid / filter. Truck runs 100% perfect! Thanks everyone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.