Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Newbie- SRT

4K views 36 replies 5 participants last post by  TexaSRT 
#1 ·
Fellow SRT owners! I am new to the SRT community and would like to introduce myself!

My name is Scott and I am located in Houston, TX. I've owned Jeep’s since high school. I won’t date myself but my first jeep was a 3.0L, 2001 JGC. After that, I purchased a 2012 JGC Overland Edition and as of yesterday, I can say I am the proud owner of a 2015 JGC SRT.

I am looking forward to participating in the forums and please be easy on me if I ask dumb "REFER TO NEWBIE" sections of the forum.

The only thing that I think I can say about my SRT that makes it unique is.... someone installed a exhaust dump valve. I can control the loudness of the exhaust with a switch... kind of dumb.. but also kind of entertaining. It's a simple toggle switch but it doesn't indicate a direction to push it to make it louder or less loud. Not sure it's a "performance improvement modification" but it's a start!:smile2:

Reactions: Passmg2
#4 ·
The only thing that I think I can say about my SRT that makes it unique is.... someone installed a exhaust dump valve. I can control the loudness of the exhaust with a switch... kind of dumb.. but also kind of entertaining. It's a simple toggle switch but it doesn't indicate a direction to push it to make it louder or less loud. Not sure it's a "performance improvement modification" but it's a start!:smile2:
Welcome from a fellow Texan! I'm sure you will really enjoy your new SRT!

I don't know if the dump valve increases performance or not, but this type of thing is an option on some vehicles nowdays (including my '12 Corvette) and I think it is great. Provides some instant gratification and fun when you want it, but yet allows you to keep peace with the neighbors late at night. :)

Enjoy!

#7 ·
Thats funny cause me and my wife just started looking at a house over that way... West side of 288 Pearland for me.

Reactions: TexaSRT
#8 ·
Well- if you're ever back in the area, let me know! we can meet at "Down The Street" for a couple of beers and talk some SRT! Newbie question Numero Uno- Does Houston have a Jeep SRT club? Particularly GC SRT owners and not the "other SRT's"....

#9 ·
Sounds good! I was a member of spacecity lx with my 300s and seen some Jeep srt at some meets but I haven't found a gc srt only club yet. I would love to find one or if need be start one.

#10 · (Edited)
Well- here is the fun I had in the past couple of days. Best 0-60; 4.5 seconds

Also- wanted to get some videos of the cutouts open vs the stock exhaust sound. A very nice touch I must say. I am still trying to convince my wife that this vehicle is "better" than the Overland we just traded in... that's a work in progress that I feel I will not win.

Check out the videos.

Stock Exhaust

Exhaust with Cutouts Open

0-60 with cutouts open

I just uploaded them to youtube so the videos may not be "published" yet.

Attachments

#11 ·
Love the vids. Was your best 0-60 with the cutouts open or closed? Did you run it both ways for comparison?

#12 ·
I'll have to get back to you on that. I haven't found a good "spot" to really do some design of experiments. Also- did you know you can increase your launch RPMs by holding the Launch button down and turning the dial clockwise? Each click is 100rpm increase. I found at 4K RPMs the brakes become over powered while in launch mode.... unless you really MASH and stand on the brake!

This means even more design of experiments. I might need to develop an excel file and start logging! # :nerd:

#13 ·
I saw a video on YouTube about the adjustments for launch control. I just ran a 0-60 after my workout this morning 4.5 sec, 66* outside, launch mode in stock setting and traction control on (didn't try it without and don't know if it will make a dif)

Attachments

#14 ·
I think you should start a file on it, I want to do the same, we can compare the two!

#25 ·
Hit a 4.1 yesterday! That baby is going to hold up for a long time. I found the car is faster with the cutout's CLOSED and in sport mode. Track mode is crap.. i logged my worst 0-60's in track mode.

4.1 seconds (3,200 RPM Launch) exhaust cutouts closed and in sport mode @ 50degrees.

Attachments

#26 ·
Niiiiiiice! Nothing like planting your melon in the headrest with a launch like that!

Crazy you have slower times in track mode, I tried launching in sport but the brakes wouldn't hold it past 2800 rpm and I clicked off a 4.4
I just did a run and came up with a pb 4.2 using track and launch! I feel like if I adjust my launch rpm up using that method I linked then I can get to sub 4's in this great weather with no mods.

I have been monitoring my intake air temps on runs so I'm gonna post those pics every time I post 0-60's
That way I have data for when I put on the Mdesign carbon intake I just got

Attachments

#27 ·
Questions for you guys raising the launch rpm per the video instructions.... am I missing something, or is there no "indicator" of how much you are raising/lowering the launch rpm when you are turning the knob while holding the button down? Also... if you change the factory launch rpm, and make a pull... does it default back to factory setting EACH time, or if you set it will it launch like that every time until you change it again?

I tried once, and I'm not sure I got it to work right... Seems like the rpms were about the same as factory (~2200 or so). But I didn't turn the dial that many "clicks" to the right, either.

#29 ·
No there is no indicator. You need to count the "clicks". Each clockwise click is a 100rpm increase. It resets once you turn the vehicle off- which is annoying.

I wish we could have the 2016 software installed in the 2015's. They have the ability to install a valet mode, adjust the launch rpm and so much more.

#28 ·
I've noticed that my Jeep shifts really hard in Track mode. I posted a video on k-con's post asking if my car was also one of those that is shifting hard. In sport mode my shifts feel more crisp. In track mode it seems to "slam" the gears and I feel some minor hesitation.

#32 ·
I've noticed that my Jeep shifts really hard in Track mode. I posted a video on k-con's post asking if my car was also one of those that is shifting hard. In sport mode my shifts feel more crisp. In track mode it seems to "slam" the gears and I feel some minor hesitation.

2015 Jeep SRT Track Mode (Hard Shift) - YouTube
Tough to tell any perceptible difference between Sport and Track in your video of Track mode. Looks like the shifts are firm/crisp/immediate. I have found Track is terrible if you are not going WOT. Part throttle shifts in Track are abusive and very hard... which is probably why Track is for "track", although I would assume that it would be set up more for road-racing conditions than drag strip. I don't know.

#33 ·
??? For some reason, I'm not able to adjust my launch rpm given the technique described in the video. Just launches at 2000-2100rpm, regardless of how many times I turn the knob.

#36 ·
The Jeep must be at a stop, in gear, and in track mode to adjust. I believe the launch button blinks while doing it.
No it's not any good for stoplight to stoplight racing but it's a great tool for "track" drag days. Set it before you get to the line hold the brake floor it and let go when you see the second orange light! :grin2::grin2:

It does suck it clears with an ignition cycle :crying: maybe there's a loophole in tuning that needs to be found?

#34 ·
That's really strange.

1. Press launch button.
2. Hold launch button down and turn the dial 15 clicks clockwise
3. Continue holding the brake down, press gas to floor and it should work.

I'll try and post a video tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.