LED mod, resistor needed? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 Interior/Exterior Visual Modifications If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a visual enhancement, please discuss it in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

LED mod, resistor needed?

Hello All,
I searched the forum and didn't see any answers... I swapped out the interior lights with Putco LED's, and the lights stay on all the time but are dim. Is a resistor needed?

If so, how many ohms and what is the power rating (watts)? Does it wire in series or parallel with the cargo lamp?

Thanks!!
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Garage
I bought the Can-bus safe led they have a little one built into them .

07 SRT8 Silver Cam,PP heads&intake BT CC ,Borla S ,Eibach, Volant CAI Hid's all around Smooth and logoed moldings , Carbon Medic V2 ,Stillen's,Mopar Spoiler , TS led Rear fogs,Quad Projectors, 275/315 Dueller HP Sport ,Eibach's.Tuned By Diablo and CMR by OVERKILL, R1's StopTech's
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Straight Up Beast SON!!!

Thanked 1,229 Times in 992 Posts
Not sure what size is needed, but put a filament bulb in the glove box and that will get rid of the glowing effect....

Knuckles
Mods: Bwoody CAI/FRI Lil boy Cam/ SW Headers/CORSA exhaust/SLP UD Pulley/Black Ops Autoworks Ported Intake Manny/Built Trans with FTI 3600 stall/ Johan aka Diablotoona Custom Tune
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

The only regular filament bulb I have left is already in the glove box, still have the problem.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Straight Up Beast SON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Fanatic View Post
The only regular filament bulb I have left is already in the glove box, still have the problem.
Oh ok... Well might need to add one other filament bulb then...I would try the one in the trunk and see what happens...
The Following User Says Thank You to Knuckles For This Useful Post:
SRT8Fanatic (12-05-2012)
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Major Contributing Member

Garage
I swapped out "All" interior lights with LED bulbs and did not require any resistors. But i bought "super bright"(High Intensity) LED's and have no issues.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Straight Up Beast SON!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBugnitz View Post
I swapped out "All" interior lights with LED bulbs and did not require any resistors. But i bought "super bright"(High Intensity) LED's and have no issues.
Yeah have VLEDS 6k lights inside my Jeep and and they work just fine with no issues and they have been in there for over 2 years...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8Fanatic View Post
Hello All,
I searched the forum and didn't see any answers... I swapped out the interior lights with Putco LED's, and the lights stay on all the time but are dim. Is a resistor needed?

If so, how many ohms and what is the power rating (watts)? Does it wire in series or parallel with the cargo lamp?

Thanks!!
John
Although I can't answer all your questions, I just did this and the resistor fixed my issue. My buddy had everything needed to do this. There is a DIY floating around somewhere on this very topic.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM
The Traveler

Has anyone seen some of the new LED bulbs Vled is starting to offer? Looks like they have resistors built right into the bulb for easier plug and play installs.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

Zac
2012 WK2 SRT8 Mineral Gray | BT Catch Can | BT Underhood Goodies | Painted Engine Bay | Bwoody CAI | Custom Washer Setup | Shaved Jeep/Color Matched Liftgate Brow| Chrome Delete | Debadge-ReBadged | 5% Tint All Around | 78% Windshield Tint | Passport 9500ix | TLS Rear Fogs | 5k HID Fogs | 6k LED Running Lights | 8k Bi-Xenon | 6K LED Plate Lights | 6k Interior LED Swap | Borla ATAK | WK1 Borla Reso Swap | Matching eBrake Pedal | Trinity | Modified DS 93 Tune
SOLD 2007 Silver Jeep SRT8

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorSRT8 View Post
Although I can't answer all your questions, I just did this and the resistor fixed my issue. My buddy had everything needed to do this. There is a DIY floating around somewhere on this very topic.

Thanks! I figured I'd just do some measurements and calculations and go from there as to what size I will need. I can't seem to find the thread.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
interior, led, light, resistor, watts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode