HIGHER TIRES/LOWER SPRINGS....tastes great...less filling!!! - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

HIGHER TIRES/LOWER SPRINGS....tastes great...less filling!!!

I feel the side wall height of the OEM tires is too small and at the same time the gap between the top of the tire and the fenders is too big.

Im thinking of going with a set of Michellins 275/55/20s that have a side wall that is 1.5 " higher than the oem 255/45s (but have the same width).

This obviously leads to the vehicule being 1.5" higher. To compenstate the added hight Im thinking of cutting .75" off both the top and bottom of the springs, (since there is no lowering kit out there and as such the JC SRT8 is already lowered 1" vs the standard JC non SRT8.)

This will give me a better looking ride, (I think), granted I will diminish a bit in handling response but gain in comfort , (as the oem tires are run flats are much harder than the Michellins).

Any comments or suggestions. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 11:07 AM
ge2
Major Contributing Member

Re: HIGHER TIRES/LOWER SPRINGS....tastes great...less filling!!!

Are you going to run the same size tire on all 4 corners instead of staying with the staggered sizes?

Also, you'll get lots of different opinions on cutting springs, depending on who you talk to, but for me personally, there are a few things I'll never do (either again, or for the first time), and cutting factory springs is one off them. With SEMA around the corner, and the SRT GC into their second year of production, lowering springs will be available shortly.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsag
I feel the side wall height of the OEM tires is too small and at the same time the gap between the top of the tire and the fenders is too big.

I´m thinking of going with a set of Michellins 275/55/20´s that have a side wall that is 1.5 " higher than the oem 255/45´s (but have the same width).

Any comments or suggestions. What do you think?

I think it would look great, I don't know about lowering though, there is not much rear travel as it is. It will look lowered with taller tires anyway.
Make sure the tire's OD is the same front and rear. If you don't you will jack the allwheel drive. You will loose a little low end (you would be changing overall gearing) but gain a little high end. Also you would need to go to the dealer to get your speedo recalabrated, until the aftermarket comes up with a reprogrammer.
I want to do the same thing except go with 22's. But I cannot find anything I like better than the stock 20's yet.

You can see Idealrides GC SRT8 at this site, he went with 1.5" taller Toyo's
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2262810/2

Good luck and keep us updated with pics.

K. Hamlet

06 Black GC SRT8, GSM ESP Mod so far.
05 Black 300C, 22's, lowered, complete audio/video, grill.
05 Black Range Rover, 22's, video, DVD Changer, wife's main ride.
04 Black, flamed Supercab F150, bagged, shaved, complete audio/video.
06 Black Scion xb, lowered, 18's, wife's toy.
04 Green (I know) Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab. 20's.

Last edited by K Hamlet; 07-13-2006 at 11:35 AM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:47 PM

You gotta go with bigger rims. If you just increase the tire size and lower it an inch your not going to get the effect you want, it's still gonna look like the wheels are to small (IMHO). Now, throw some 24's on there, lower it an inch, and you'll get the effect you're lookin for.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributing Member

with these tires there's about a 1/4" of clearance between the front tire and the splash guard at certain steering angles. Not much room for going even wider or taller unless you want to start chopping away at the fender.

The pictures on cardomain are restricted in size, and I think we can all agree that bigger is better

________
bondage girl Webcams

Last edited by idealrides; 08-11-2011 at 12:24 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealrides

The pictures on cardomain are restricted in size, and I think we can all agree that bigger is better

I completely agree!
If you get a chance, can you send me a fullsize picture or two of the front 3/4 shots on the beach? I'm really wanting to pull the JEEP off the front and want to show my wife how badass it looks.

Ken
jawsk2@hotmail.com
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Even though the front tires have a different size than the rears the diameter is the same. The only difference is the wheel width, (9" front, 10" back). This said I think they are not stagered if stagered means differrent diameter or different width tires ?!?!).

Its clear that I should not touch the springs. Thanks all for the heads up on this as well as all your other comments.

As soon as I have pics Ill post them.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 12:48 PM
ge2
Major Contributing Member

You are correct.... the OD of the tires are nearly identical (and need to remain that way for the sake of the AWD system). Staggered (in the case of our SRT GCs) would refer to different widths.
My new wheels are 22x9.5 and 22x10.5, so still staggered, but by adjusting the tire size, I'll still be within a fraction of an inch of identical OD.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 01:26 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Dont forget there is a free photo gallery here, and there are no image size restrictions.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/gallery
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 10:13 AM

If you cut that much off of your springs you might as we just take them and the shocks out and save the weight as you will be setting on the bump stops and will not have any travel anyway. Rear suspension travel is an issue with these trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode