Engine Dyno:How do you run the Hemi to have any REAL world numbers? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Elite Contributing Member
 
BuilderBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 5,781
Thanks: 235
Thanked 881 Times in 395 Posts
Engine Dyno:How do you run the Hemi to have any REAL world numbers?

Hey guys,
My 426 stroker engine was run on the dyno at Indy Cylinder Heads. They used a mechanical linkage and FAST electronics / fuel management. That ain't the way I will be running the Hemi now is it???

Anyone else have their mighty Hemi engine dyno tested any other way?

ASM is about done with the technology to dyno test our Hemi's more realistically:
  • They have my PCM (thats where one of many went ).
  • They have a complete wiring harness fabricated.
  • The throttle is being activated by our actual jeep accelerator pedal assy.
Don't you thing that is is a more realistic (yes, a ton of work) way of dyno testing our Hemi's....use real world fuel & spark management rather that a FAST system with a mechanical throttle.

My 426 should be running on the engine dyno there soon...any bets on whether it makes more or less hp than at Indy????
Bill
BuilderBill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes the numbers at Indy are going to be higher. The only way to truly know will be to run the complete induction/exhaust setup you'll use on the road paired with the engine management system/tune you'll also use in the real world.
It would be neat if possible as we could then see a true figure for actual driveline loss (I believe 25% through the trans, transfer case, two diffs, and heavy 20" wheels with runflats), but I don't know if it's possible.
ps, good info for you in my last post in the SWorks vs. Kooks thread
GotStroke? is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Contributing Member
 
BuilderBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 5,781
Thanks: 235
Thanked 881 Times in 395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotStroke?
Yes the numbers at Indy are going to be higher. The only way to truly know will be to run the complete induction/exhaust setup you'll use on the road paired with the engine management system/tune you'll also use in the real world.
It would be neat if possible as we could then see a true figure for actual driveline loss (I believe 25% through the trans, transfer case, two diffs, and heavy 20" wheels with runflats), but I don't know if it's possible.
ps, good info for you in my last post in the SWorks vs. Kooks thread
Stroker...got your Sworks post. I will most likely go with them do to the no cel's and the way they respond to our needs.

I am trying to get the engine dyno testing as close as possible to real life. I will see after the last engine mods on the engine dyno, the engine will be installed and the jeep driven outside to the ASM chassis dyno. That should give us a very realistic number between the engine dyne and chassis dyno.
Bill
BuilderBill is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 04:42 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,169
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBill
Stroker...got your Sworks post. I will most likely go with them do to the no cel's and the way they respond to our needs.

I am trying to get the engine dyno testing as close as possible to real life. I will see after the last engine mods on the engine dyno, the engine will be installed and the jeep driven outside to the ASM chassis dyno. That should give us a very realistic number between the engine dyne and chassis dyno.
Bill
That's going to be some interesting info, we've been guessing at DT losses for quite a while. Thanks again for your contributions to the "cause".
GotStroke? is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Blown7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Woodstock, CT
Posts: 2,831
Thanks: 3
Thanked 101 Times in 64 Posts
Well at this point your comparing apples to oranges IMHO.
If the engine ran at Indy normally aspirated and now at ASM it's running with a blower then the numbers will be all over.

What you should do now is run the engine without the blower with the OEM PCM take the numbers, compare, then hook the blower up.

Then chassis dyno, you'll have all the info you could ever want.

Jeff

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which unskilled people make poor decisions and reach erroneous conclusions, but their incompetence denies them the metacognitive ability to realize their mistakes.

"I'm a greedy old man. Life's been good to me, and I want some more of it."
John Wayne
Blown7 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Contributing Member
 
BuilderBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 5,781
Thanks: 235
Thanked 881 Times in 395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown7
Well at this point your comparing apples to oranges IMHO.
If the engine ran at Indy normally aspirated and now at ASM it's running with a blower then the numbers will be all over.

What you should do now is run the engine without the blower with the OEM PCM take the numbers, compare, then hook the blower up.

Then chassis dyno, you'll have all the info you could ever want.

Jeff
Jeff,
The engine has NOT been touched as far as any upgrades like a supercharger yet. This is why I want to run it vs. the dyno at Indy. Sorry for the confusion! Then the supercharger, cam etc. etc.
I need to give you a buzz regarding your gage.
Bill
BuilderBill is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 05:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
Blown7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Woodstock, CT
Posts: 2,831
Thanks: 3
Thanked 101 Times in 64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBill
Jeff,
The engine has NOT been touched as far as any upgrades like a supercharger yet. This is why I want to run it vs. the dyno at Indy. Sorry for the confusion! Then the supercharger, cam etc. etc.
I need to give you a buzz regarding your gage.
Bill
K gotcha. Then your just going to run the engine at ASM with the OEM PCM tuned by B&G.
Well that will reflect what the FAST vs B&G controllers will provide for power.

Jeff
Blown7 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Elite Contributing Member
 
BuilderBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 5,781
Thanks: 235
Thanked 881 Times in 395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown7
K gotcha. Then your just going to run the engine at ASM with the OEM PCM tuned by B&G.
Well that will reflect what the FAST vs B&G controllers will provide for power.

Jeff
Actually, the Hemi will be run with the STOCK PCM 1st.
Then, the ASM user PROGRAMMABLE PCM (piggybacked) will be tested. This will be revolutionary and use a reluctor on the back of the balancer and it will be manufactured so you do not have to drop the crank and change reluctors....which obviously makes for a simpler install. The dropping of the crank is NOT a backyard project.
A work in progress photo of the reluctor wheel to balancer is attached.
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Reluctor wheel on balancer.JPG  
BuilderBill is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 07:03 AM
Lifetime Premium Member
 
gculver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 1,231
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bill, Good Luck! I'm most interested in the nuts & bolts(so to speak) of ASM's new tuning package!! GC
PS: did you get my PM about the box?

2006 GC SRT 8(12.98@105.3-stock)-SOLD
2008 F-150 LIMITED #3449 of #5000
2006 TRAILBLAZER SS(SOLD)
2004 REDLINE SSR (SOLD)
1999 SVT F-150 (SOLD)
1987 GRAND NATIONAL (SOLD)
1996 IMPALA SS (SOLD)
1969 MACH-1 390,C-6 (SOLD)
1970 BUICK GSX, APOLLO WHITE (SOLD)
and various others


gculver is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Elite Contributing Member
 
BuilderBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 5,781
Thanks: 235
Thanked 881 Times in 395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gculver
Bill, Good Luck! I'm most interested in the nuts & bolts(so to speak) of ASM's new tuning package!! GC
PS: did you get my PM about the box?
GC...I replied pm'ed right back to you. The Volant & ram setup is yours. Glad I can help the cause. It may be 60 days or so.
Bill
BuilderBill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultimate Prowertrain Control Module thread and my problems. Blown7 WK1 Troubleshooting / Problems Discussion / Dealer Service 549 02-18-2013 02:43 AM
6.4 - 392 HEMI Challenger Unveiled! Black_SRT8 WK1 SRT8 General Discussion 12 07-30-2009 11:10 AM
NITROUS Hemi Zex kit and questions. onehothemi WK1 General Performance Discussion 1 06-11-2007 08:34 AM
Break-in Procedures AaronC WK1 SRT8 General Discussion 2 08-05-2006 07:03 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome