180 Thermostat install DONE . . . . - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

180 Thermostat install DONE . . . .

. . . and what a friggin pain in the arse it was.

Don't be a bonehead like me and leave your CAI fully installed while you attempt to do this. I have (and love) the GSM CAI and like the stubborn a-hole that I am, decided to embark upon this 5 minute job (yeah right) without removing things to make my life easier.

Thanks again to the good ole fella that made the video clip which I referenced twice to complete this cheap mod.

Here again is the link to the vid: http://media.putfile.com/Changing-the-LX-Thermostat

Working around the CAI obviously made access to the bolts more difficult as well as placement of the bag for collecting coolant that ended up mostly on my garage floor.

Now the good news . . .

The part itself (Autozone part #: 4128) manufactured by Motorad was only $15.99. So far, no CEL issue or any leaking.

Make sure you have backup shop towels, a 13mm socket, preferrably with an extension, a regular screwdriver to gently pop out the stock t-stat and plenty of patience . . . oh, and a cool garage or cool temp whereever you decide to do this because you will drip if its over 75*

Most importantly . . . DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS MOD UNTIL YOUR RIG HAS COOLED OFF FOR MANY HOURS . . . preferably overnight.

I did this in the morning and the block was still warm to the touch, don't rush into this after you pull into the garage tonight.

We'll see if it makes a difference after some driving time . . .

Cheerio,

Phil

2007 Grand Cherokee SRT8 black
2000 Ducati 996 Red biposto (modded out)
2000 YAMAHA R1
2005 Big Dog Ridgeback - Mono Metallic Silver
2003 Honda Oddysey Burgundy -hers
2006 Jayceman - (July 2 model) little boy (Jayce)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Garage
I'll second the bonehead comment.

Steve
'15 Black over Red Vapor WK2 SRT-8 (It's got a trunk mat!)
SOLD '06 Silver WK1 SRT-8 (Borla Type-S, Predator, K&N, Eibachs, S6M Shocks, JBA A-arms, 275/315)
'06 White E55 (STAR dropped, iForged Imolas, Eurocharge tune, HE - 483whp)
'94 Black Mustang GT (cam bearings spun/scored...new HCI 331 stroker coming soon)

PITTZ said I am special
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 08:25 AM
DMB

T-stat

Changing mine this weekend- glad you got it done- thanks for the tips- does anyone know where to get a new stant cap- went to 2 auto stores they couldnt help me and couldnt pull anything up on computer- strange. I am in the NY area.
Thanks,
DMB
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB
does anyone know where to get a new stant cap- went to 2 auto stores they couldnt help me and couldnt pull anything up on computer- strange. I am in the NY area.
I'm in CT and picked mine up from Pep Boys if you have one of those near you. In stock too.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 08:43 AM
DMB

t-stat

Hey Jay,
do you know the part # on it at pepboys.
Thanks,
DMB
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB
Hey Jay,
do you know the part # on it at pepboys.
Just ask them for a Stant 11334.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 11:58 AM

Quick question---does the 180 Therm mod do anything to the warranty?
Say for instance something really crazy happened and the engine overheated and got damged, and it wasn't the therm---they would more than likely void the entire cooling sys, no?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKSRTEIGHT
Quick question---does the 180 Therm mod do anything to the warranty?
Say for instance something really crazy happened and the engine overheated and got damged, and it wasn't the therm---they would more than likely void the entire cooling sys, no?
The MotoRad/Valucraft T-stats fail (if they fail) in the open position, so this won't happen.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 01:25 PM

Question Tstat Install ?

Once you put the new tstat in do you have to turn the heat on full for the tstat to open and close, I did this on changing a tstat on my old 99 jeep? What is the best tstat to get stant or motorad 180*.

Thanks
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 01:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWK
Once you put the new tstat in do you have to turn the heat on full for the tstat to open and close, I did this on changing a tstat on my old 99 jeep? What is the best tstat to get stant or motorad 180*.

Thanks
Motorad/Valucraft > Stant due to a larger diameter opening, and the failsafe feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode