? about the famous fan mod - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Contributing Member

? about the famous fan mod

i just finished installing my 3pole switch 1=12volt power for the led, 2=signal 3=ground in the center of the cup holder wired everything up as described ..well my question is when the jeep is off i can turn the high speed fan on and off and it works no problem but the relay clicks rapidly.but when i turn the jeep on i can no longer turn the fan on.so my question is..is this normal or did i do something wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Major Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreeze
i just finished installing my 3pole switch 1=12volt power for the led, 2=signal 3=ground in the center of the cup holder wired everything up as described ..well my question is when the jeep is off i can turn the high speed fan on and off and it works no problem but the relay clicks rapidly.but when i turn the jeep on i can no longer turn the fan on.so my question is..is this normal or did i do something wrong?

The 12v serves two purposes on that type of switch, one for the accessory, two for the light. In the case of the fan mod you DO NOT want to wire that switch to 12v at all. Just a Negative. So you will loose your fancy little light but you will not mess up your Jeep. The wiring should look like this...

1(labeled as 12v)= GROUND
2= wire out to the relay pole.
3= N/A its the ground for the light.

Your actually using the switch as a ground interrupt and noting else. Get that 12v off of your switch before something fries!!!

FASTmade Ediff & TCM switches, 170 Stant, B&B Catback, Dynamic Heads, FRE Hellfire Cam, Kooks LT's
ARIZONA SPEED & MARINE Vortech SuperCharger Kit, ASM Phenolic Spacers, UniChip,
B&G StageII, UniChip, Kenne Bell Boost a Pump, Walsh Racing Heat Exchanger.

MOD DIRECIONS
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastSRT8GC
The 12v serves two purposes on that type of switch, one for the accessory, two for the light. In the case of the fan mod you DO NOT want to wire that switch to 12v at all. Just a Negative. So you will loose your fancy little light but you will not mess up your Jeep. The wiring should look like this...

1(labeled as 12v)= GROUND
2= wire out to the relay pole.
3= N/A its the ground for the light.

Your actually using the switch as a ground interrupt and noting else. Get that 12v off of your switch before something fries!!!

thanks man i just went outside and switched the wires along with pulling the 12volt source off problem fixed..this is why i like this forum
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Major Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreeze
thanks man i just went outside and switched the wires along with pulling the 12volt source off problem fixed..this is why i like this forum
Did you use my directions? I want to make sure there is nothing in those directions that imply to put 12v to that switch! This is the second time this has come up. Just want to make sure my directions are easy to follow.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2007, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastSRT8GC
Did you use my directions? I want to make sure there is nothing in those directions that imply to put 12v to that switch! This is the second time this has come up. Just want to make sure my directions are easy to follow.

ya i follwed your directions..the switch i bought has a led in ,my dumbass not thinking wired up a 12volts to the switch ,but in the end it works well now..just took the 12volt off the #1 and moved the ground to #2 and the signal to #1..thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode