Possible mod to the "Fan switch Mod" - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Possible mod to the "Fan switch Mod"

I haven't even changed the thermostat yet, so I don't know if this is a good idea or not. But, as I understand the situation, even after changing to a lower temp thermostat, it is still necessary to install a manual fan switch to cause the high speed fan to run so that you can take advantage of the lower temp thermostat. Here's the problem that I can see with a manual fan switch...it could be running more than needed. I know that shouldn't be a big problem but this idea might take care of that issue.
Why not install a separate water temp sending unit that is designed to send a voltage signal at a certain water temp? That signal could then be routed to a relay that would start the fans. A manual "On/Off" switch could still be incorporated into the design that would energize the whole system but the actual triggering at temp would be accomplished by the sending unit.
What do you think....Good or Bad idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Major Contributing Member

Good idea.

The problems we see with this idea were,where will you add the separate sending unit? Drill a new hole in the radiator? Most guys want it as simple as possible. I believe the B&G kicks the fans on a bit earlier, could be wrong on that. And why not just change the current one to a lower reading switch.

If you use this manual switch correctly you will have no problems. At the track, at a light, or before a race. Other wise you wouldn't want it to run all the time anyway.

FASTmade Ediff & TCM switches, 170 Stant, B&B Catback, Dynamic Heads, FRE Hellfire Cam, Kooks LT's
ARIZONA SPEED & MARINE Vortech SuperCharger Kit, ASM Phenolic Spacers, UniChip,
B&G StageII, UniChip, Kenne Bell Boost a Pump, Walsh Racing Heat Exchanger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

It has been done before using a mechanical reostat with the temperature probe inserted into the radiator fins. There are some other steps as well, there is a good write-up on the LX-forums, search for fan mods. GC

2006 GC SRT 8(12.98@105.3-stock)-SOLD
2008 F-150 LIMITED #3449 of #5000
2006 TRAILBLAZER SS(SOLD)
2004 REDLINE SSR (SOLD)
1999 SVT F-150 (SOLD)
1987 GRAND NATIONAL (SOLD)
1996 IMPALA SS (SOLD)
1969 MACH-1 390,C-6 (SOLD)
1970 BUICK GSX, APOLLO WHITE (SOLD)
and various others

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2007, 08:57 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

What happens when the AC comes on? The fan should run all the time to keep the condenser cool. I really don't think the thermostat is the answer. I really think a cold induction scoop on the hood along with a lower fan temp setting is the trick.

[B]Darrin[/B]

Refer Guy
2007 SRT8 - Black
Still Smokin'

(And no, it's not a drug reference!)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 12:46 PM

Yo

It's nice to keep this simple. Sure there are always diff ways to do things but using the ground side is the safest.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 07:23 PM

Don't know if this is the safest approach, but have run the low speed fan bypass mod along with a lower temp thermostat (180 degree Motorad thermostat) for the past 9 months. With the Dashhawk monitoring, it's clear that its not only the coolant temps and oil temps that benefit, but the transmission fluid temps stay in the high 160's to low 170's range as well. Given the wear and tear issues that engine/transmission fluids have at high temps, the low speed fan bypass along with a lower temp thermostat makes a lot of sense to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode