Head&cam Help!!! - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Major Contributing Member

Angry Head&cam Help!!!

Finally I need some help from all of you with heads and cam. My shop is having a hard time with the install. The Jeep has been torn down for almost a month now. Here is the break down.

Tear down went fine, flow test had some impressive numbers.

Reinstall Not so good. I get a call telling me the valve to piston clearance was almost non, and the cam was the problem. We called and got a new cam to test. Same problem with this one. So now they start testing the head.

In testing the head vs the factory head it seems it has a good amount of clearance with factory not so much with the P&P heads. So it seem that the mill is wrong but they all specs seem to check out per the porter and my shop.

So my question is, did anyone run into something weird while doing these?
Did your install shop test clearance?

My first thought was the cam timing, but now I have no clue.

I would like to PROP up the DR, Franks Racing, they have been overly helpful trying to resolve this over the phone. Franks Racing shipped a cam right out for us to test to insure it was not the wrong one.
Matt at DR, is confident that the heads were not milled and is willing to help however he can. He would like to see both his heads and mine for comparison. But this puts the Jeep down longer.

My next step is to ask you guys first, then test a thicker head gasket, then send the heads back if needed.

I HATE THIS!!! (insert smiley with tears)

FASTmade Ediff & TCM switches, 170 Stant, B&B Catback, Dynamic Heads, FRE Hellfire Cam, Kooks LT's
ARIZONA SPEED & MARINE Vortech SuperCharger Kit, ASM Phenolic Spacers, UniChip,
B&G StageII, UniChip, Kenne Bell Boost a Pump, Walsh Racing Heat Exchanger.

MOD DIRECIONS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 06:50 PM

Re: Head&cam Help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastSRT8GC
Finally I need some help from all of you with heads and cam. My shop is having a hard time with the install. The Jeep has been torn down for almost a month now. Here is the break down.

Reinstall Not so good. I get a call telling me the valve to piston clearance was almost non, and the cam was the problem. We called and got a new cam to test. Same problem with this one. So now they start testing the head.

In testing the head vs the factory head it seems it has a good amount of clearance with factory not so much with the P&P heads. So it seem that the mill is wrong but they all specs seem to check out per the porter and my shop.

I would like to PROP up the DR, Franks Racing, they have been overly helpful trying to resolve this over the phone. Franks Racing shipped a cam right out for us to test to insure it was not the wrong one.
Matt at DR, is confident that the heads were not milled and is willing to help however he can. He would like to see both his heads and mine for comparison. But this puts the Jeep down longer.

My next step is to ask you guys first, then test a thicker head gasket, then send the heads back if needed.

I don't know if it helps but I am going to have H/C done at high horse performance (HHP) in delaware. I think they are the only guys that have chrysler mechanics. Don't know if they can or will help but its worth a shot to see. Good luck.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

This is my problem, I found guy willing to work on it, in fact very excited to work on it. He normally works on Grand National, GTO, VETTES and TBSS. But he just purchased a R/T and was interested.

I just hope something is wrong with the head or cam timing, otherwise I dont know what to do.
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 06:53 AM

Quote:

?Safest to have DR modify your heads? More down time, but then you know that it's not a head problem should the clearance problem not resolve. Would Matt help you in expediting this? I'd rather do that than use a thicker head gasket that would drop the compression ratio. Good luck in getting this resolved
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 07:19 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Quote:
This is my problem, I found guy willing to work on it, in fact very excited to work on it. He normally works on Grand National, GTO, VETTES and TBSS. But he just purchased a R/T and was interested.

I just hope something is wrong with the head or cam timing, otherwise I dont know what to do.
Sorry to see this post FAST.
I sure am at a loss to the incompatibility of the new pieces.
I'll bet you are not the 1st to have these issues, some people do not post the problems that they encountered with their installs.
What a great forum though....no smart a** comments on your dilemma.
Keep us posted...this will help someone in the future.
What a pain to be without your ride. Glad you have a good installer that checked the clearances.
Bill
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Garage

Wow, sounds like you got a real winner of a shop there.....

I just had to throw in a sarcastic comment since it seems Bill was feeling lost without one.

Steve
'15 Black over Red Vapor WK2 SRT-8 (Borla Type-S axleback, resonator delete, & a trunk mat!)
SOLD '06 Silver WK1 SRT-8 (Borla Type-S, Predator, K&N, Eibachs, S6M Shocks, JBA A-arms, 275/315)
'06 White E55 (STAR dropped, iForged Imolas, Eurocharge tune, HE - 483whp)
'94 Black Mustang GT (cam bearings spun/scored...new HCI 331 stroker coming soon)

PITTZ said I am special
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Yea Bill, This really sucks. But your right, I am glad that they took the time to check everything rather then just bolting it up and going.

My problem is i have nobody to blame, till i find out exactly what the problem is.

I can rule out the cam.

I can not rule out the head yet. Matt at DR has been great with support on this issue and is very confidant the heads are not the problem. But they are cores that others send in so the possibility for something being done before Matt received it is a possibility.

I also can not rule out the shop, this is all new to them. Working with GM then working on a Mopar might be two different animals. But his reputation on the GTO forum is excellent and the fact that he measured all the tolerances speaks volumes.

So here i sit banging my head
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonSRT-8
Wow, sounds like you got a real winner of a shop there.....

I just had to throw in a sarcastic comment since it seems Bill was feeling lost without one.

YEP, either they are top notch by checking everything before they installed it or they don't understand mopar. I HOPE for the first option.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 09:12 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

The Hellfire should not have a clearance issue-if the install is correct.(given the heads are not milled) GC

2006 GC SRT 8(12.98@105.3-stock)-SOLD
2008 F-150 LIMITED #3449 of #5000
2006 TRAILBLAZER SS(SOLD)
2004 REDLINE SSR (SOLD)
1999 SVT F-150 (SOLD)
1987 GRAND NATIONAL (SOLD)
1996 IMPALA SS (SOLD)
1969 MACH-1 390,C-6 (SOLD)
1970 BUICK GSX, APOLLO WHITE (SOLD)
and various others

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 09:52 AM

Chris I have a couple tricks up my sleeve.
When we go over there today we will figure something out.
cya around 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode