NAG1 Transmission info and input torque capacity - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Elite Contributing Member

NAG1 Transmission info and input torque capacity

Ok, I'm starting to worry about the power of my 426 stroker which should be dynoed by the end of the week and then shipped to ASM for the supercharger install and electronics.
I searched out our NAG1 transmission and found the following link:

http://www.nitrox******.com/showthre...highlight=NAG1
Please remove the x after nitro in the above link. It won't let me enter the word nitro!!

What concerns me a little is the torque input rating of 580 Newton Meters which I have converted into 428 Foot lbs. (hope my math and Google is correct).

I hope we don't have this thing grenade! So far I have not heard of ANY issues with the stock NAG1.
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:24 PM

Re: NAG1 Transmission info and input torque capacity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBill
Ok, I'm starting to worry about the power of my 426 stroker which should be dynoed by the end of the week and then shipped to ASM for the supercharger install and electronics.

Please remove the x after nitro in the above link. It won't let me enter the word nitro!!

What concerns me a little is the torque input rating of 580 Newton Meters which I have converted into 428 Foot lbs. (hope my math and Google is correct).

I hope we don't have this thing grenade! So far I have not heard of ANY issues with the stock NAG1.
Bill
What disappoints me is the fact that this trans runs through alot of weaker powered DC cars. Which to me shows that DC in order to save costs at the last minute said " well lets just dump this trans in here" thats in every other car. What sucks is that we all know MB has wayyy stronger transmissions available. If this trans is near its limits than i can predict that alot of gcsrt8s' will have problems near 30k -60k miles with the trannys. It seems that these cars are coming out of the factory almost 'maxed' out. If thats the case than my next car will come "FI" from the factory.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Banned

Can't get the link to work even after removing the X.
post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBill

Bill
I wondered how long before a mildly modded SRT8 would kill the stock tranny/ TC. Guess only time will tell.... IMO the transfer case will probably be the source of more problems over time rather than the tranny....but again time will tell...

Bill since you like being a pioneer why don't you look into using the 7-speed tranny from the MB GL-class or the W5A1000 from the MB V12 Bi Turbo for us.
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:34 PM
Banned

The MB 7A doesn't have much TQ capacity either.
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
I wondered how long before a mildly modded SRT8 would kill the stock tranny/ TC. Guess only time will tell.... IMO the transfer case will probably be the source of more problems over time rather than the tranny....but again time will tell...

Bill since you like being a pioneer why don't you look into using the 7-speed tranny from the MB GL-class or the W5A1000 from the MB V12 Bi Turbo for us.
Well i already had the actuator go out in my transfer case at 12k miles.
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

So I'm guessing NAG1 is synonymous with W5A580?
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker

I'll just bet a fresh W5A1000 (738 Foot Lbs max input) is a bit pricy. I did have someone tell me about Hughes Performance transmission.
http://www.hughesperformance.com/
Until I read the trans info, I had thought that our transmission was one part we would not have to worry about if we did a few mods...like increase the hp by about 200hp or so.
Bill
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Banned

As you know this is the same tranny in the E55. Some of those guys are making over 500hp and 560lbs of torque to the rear wheels all day long and I have not heard of a single failure.......and the S/C engine has been around since 03.
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Banned

From Kleeman's site:

Engine Gearbox Constant load

All 7-Speed W7A700 700 Nm

M113 - V8 OE Kompressor 5-Speed W5A900 900 Nm

M275 - V12 N/A 5-Speed W5A1000 1000 Nm

M275 - V12 Bi Turbo 5-Speed W5A1000 1000 Nm

M113 - V8 N/A 5-Speed W5A580 580 Nm

M112 - All 5-Speed W5A330 330 Nm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode