PCV Oil Seperator - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Exclamation PCV Oil Seperator

I just had a shop fabricate me a oil catch can or seperator between the PCV valve and the throttle body. The next few days to weeks will reveal how well it works. The trick is to fit it close and in the spot between them.

The reason I did this was all the oil found in the intake and throttle body area. This oil was on the head and along the intake. Oil in the intake track will cause detonation and dilute the intake charge causing substantial power loss.

Also I know I had it and others as well.........the blue puff of smoke at start up, that isnt our motors its the heavy oil being sucked into your manifold! Open the valve body and drag a rod or probe along the bottom and you will get oil dredge.

Anyway this problem is common and a not talked about problem until the intake valve is gummed up and the entire intake tract is saturated.

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/c...n/catchcan.php
http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm
http://www.lnsauto.com/articles/ford..._article.shtml
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:55 AM
Elite Contributing Member

Garage
Re: PCV Oil Seperator

The oil catch-can is a very popular mod on the Harley F-150s & Lightnings.

Steve
'15 Black over Red Vapor WK2 SRT-8 (Borla Type-S axleback, resonator delete, & a trunk mat!)
SOLD '06 Silver WK1 SRT-8 (Borla Type-S, Predator, K&N, Eibachs, S6M Shocks, JBA A-arms, 275/315)
'06 White E55 (STAR dropped, iForged Imolas, Eurocharge tune, HE - 483whp)
'94 Black Mustang GT (cam bearings spun/scored...new HCI 331 stroker coming soon)

PITTZ said I am special
post #3 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

....I didn't realize this would be a problem, on a "non-blown" vehicle.

I had them on my Lightnings & Cobra.....

Go to Walmart, buy an air compressor (Campbell-Hausfield) seperator and
fittings, that is what I did. I also like the idea of a clear one.

thanks for the tip.

2007 Red Rock.... slightly modded, but BAD 2 the BONE!
post #4 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 11:57 AM

here's what alot of Lightning, Harley, Corvette and LSx motors run:

http://www.midwestpd.com/catalog/pro...db15b019fb320e

ran one for over a year and not a drop of oil in my intake. (Lightning)

have one on order now.

Dave
2007JGCSRT8
post #5 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesSRT8
here's what alot of Lightning, Harley, Corvette and LSx motors run:

http://www.midwestpd.com/catalog/pro...db15b019fb320e

ran one for over a year and not a drop of oil in my intake. (Lightning)

have one on order now.

Dave
2007JGCSRT8
I just ordered one of these to take a look. The point is our manifolds are drenched in oil!!!! This will cause detonation and loss of power.
post #6 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalconfusion
I just ordered one of these to take a look. The point is our manifolds are drenched in oil!!!! This will cause detonation and loss of power.
i hope they have enough of them because i ordered one about an hour ago.

on a side note, i had recently had my oil changed (1st one) at my dealership. i checked the oil level the next day cold & it was spot on. a week or so later i was looking inside my stock air cleaner box just poking around and i noticed engine oil puddles in the square pockets at the bottom, inside the box. the clean oil was coming from the crankcase breather vent tube right below the filter. it had even washed off some of the red oil from my K&N flat panel filter as it was being sucked up through. i wiped up as much oil as i could with paper towels (took about 8 paper towels) but i couldnt get all of it out of the molded squares.

i removed the vent tube completely & added a breather filter (where the fitting comes out of the oil filler tube) that i picked up from my local auto parts store. i've been running the breather filter for about a week now & no more oil in my air cleaner box & it's running fine.

now i dont know if it was actually sucking oil through the breather tube while the engine was running or the oil may have gotten down the tube when the oil was being filled during the oil change, but in any event no more oil is getting into my air cleaner.

2007 gcsrt8

Last edited by SRedrockT8; 04-27-2007 at 04:07 PM.
post #7 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 04:34 PM

Be VERY careful when running a breather on the crankcase. It can throw off the air/fuel big time. On Lightnings, they require a custom tune (reflash) of the PCM to accomodate the change - you MAY lean out, so watch your A/F.

The catch cans I posted used to be made by AMW, but now the midwest PD folks took over. They probably are on backorder.

Inside the catch can, you will find something that looks like stainless steel steel wool. Works very well, but you will have to make your own mounting bracket. I used pretty heavy gage steel to make mine, as these are pretty hefty and will wobble around if not mounted correctly.

the LSx motor guys swear by these, as do Lightning/Harley folks. The nice thing is you just put a baggie under the pet**** and drain it every once in a while.

Even if on backorder, they are worth the wait. VERY well made.

Dave
post #8 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 04:47 PM

Steve great find!

When I removed my manifold for the spacer install and turned it upside down it was dry so I was pretty happy about that. Looked inside all ok. No oil.

2012 300 SRT
2010 Challenger SRT8: SOLD
2008 Charger SRT8: SOLD
2006 Jeep SRT8: SOLD

Last edited by Inferno SRT8; 04-28-2007 at 12:16 AM.
post #9 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesSRT8
Be VERY careful when running a breather on the crankcase. It can throw off the air/fuel big time. On Lightnings, they require a custom tune (reflash) of the PCM to accomodate the change - you MAY lean out, so watch your A/F.

The catch cans I posted used to be made by AMW, but now the midwest PD folks took over. They probably are on backorder.

Inside the catch can, you will find something that looks like stainless steel steel wool. Works very well, but you will have to make your own mounting bracket. I used pretty heavy gage steel to make mine, as these are pretty hefty and will wobble around if not mounted correctly.

the LSx motor guys swear by these, as do Lightning/Harley folks. The nice thing is you just put a baggie under the pet**** and drain it every once in a while.

Even if on backorder, they are worth the wait. VERY well made.

Dave
They are still made by AMW, I contacted them directly today to see if I could order through them (texas). They directed me to Midwest and told me the turned over the sales portion to them but they still make them.
http://www.accmachtech.com/pcvcatchcans.htm

2006 Jeep SRT8
post #10 of 100 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 10:33 PM

I'll be checking my TB for oil residue soon. Those of you that ordered the catch can let us know how you like it(if it works well)?

'06 GC (Laredo) SRT8 InfernoRed EntryLevelJeep
'70 Charger R/T (under construction forever)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode