heads and cam... reliable? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Contributing Member

heads and cam... reliable?

I would really like to do dr heads and cam in my jeep... does anyone know how a mod like this holds up over time...? pros/cons? what issues are most common and how soon??? is this a mod you can do, drive the truck hard, and not worry about things breaking in the motor?? any detailed advice and past experience would be greatly apreciated. thanks

2007 GC SRT 8 (sold)
2004 SRT 4 (sold)
2005 E55 ///AMG
2003 SVT COBRA 660/654wheel
2006 Lincoln mark LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 03:40 PM

Re: heads and cam... reliable?

Yeah same here.Is HHP a good company to use?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 08:13 PM

i want heads and cam also want to hear more info
and as for hhp josh is a real good guy bought alot of stuff from them and will be getting more HHP IS A++ IN MY BOOK
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Banned

As far as reliability is concerned, you're not going to hurt it much if at all. The stock bottom end can take the kind of power (and you're still running the same rpm) H/C provide N/A.
Going H/C N/A is much safer than running a power adder on the stock bottom end, no question.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 09:09 PM

Have had heads/cam for 5k miles now and they work perfectly. It is fun to smoke first gear now and then but I would not do it again. Too much money for not enough gain.
I do not race but I wanted a downright scary fast car. After it all, my supercharged '90 mustang coupe solves that need better. I'd save my money next time.
My $0.02
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 09:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tainui
Have had heads/cam for 5k miles now and they work perfectly. It is fun to smoke first gear now and then but I would not do it again. Too much money for not enough gain.
I do not race but I wanted a downright scary fast car. After it all, my supercharged '90 mustang coupe solves that need better. I'd save my money next time.
My $0.02

What kind of gains did you net, and whose heads/what cam did you use?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Major Contributing Member

I am doing a ton at once so it will be hard to tell the gains just from the head and cam. But this is my take.

If you go with a mild cam you will not affect the over all drive ability and durability of the it. Going to a heavy cam yes you will have problems.

With the head more than likely your putting better springs, retainer etc. in so your duability should be fine. As long as you use quality head/machine shop.

The only bad i see is trying to keep your foot out of it

FASTmade Ediff & TCM switches, 170 Stant, B&B Catback, Dynamic Heads, FRE Hellfire Cam, Kooks LT's
ARIZONA SPEED & MARINE Vortech SuperCharger Kit, ASM Phenolic Spacers, UniChip,
B&G StageII, UniChip, Kenne Bell Boost a Pump, Walsh Racing Heat Exchanger.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode