Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

New Wizard Cooling WK1 Radiator!

16K views 75 replies 21 participants last post by  BJB 
#1 ·
My Jeep runs hot when temps are above 80 degrees. I've replaced every part of the cooling system and it is no help. I'm tired of not being able to use the AC in the summer... when I need it!

I believe our radiators just don't cool well enough. And I've heard mixed reviews about the Fluidyne radiators.

After a Google search for "custom radiators" I called Wizard Cooling. The guy was just uploading the pages for their new radiator for the WK1 Jeeps.

Here's the link: https://wizardcooling.com/2006-2010-jeep-grand-cherokee-2005-2010-jeep-commander-aluminum-radiator/

I'll post a review when I get it installed. They said it will be about 3 weeks.

#2 ·
That is a hefty price for a radiator! In for review though, the summer heat in Colorado is insane!

#7 ·
My sentiment exactly! I just changed the original radiator on my 06 and thought our only choice was that and the Fluidyne which is near impossible to find. However, Fluidyne had a problem with electrolytic corrosion inside their radiator which caused failures and they never fully solved it. I hope these guys have so we have another viable option.

#5 ·
Subscribed for updates!

#8 ·
I might be doing a cam soon, this looks like one of those "why not do it while youre there" upgrades Ill give them a call!

#10 ·
Schweeet! Can't wait to see how this looks and works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Are you guys actually overheating?
Buffalo isn't known for its heatwaves... but 90+ in the summer isn't unheard of.
The Jeep always ran "hot" but never overheated. There are several threads on here simply stating that the vehicle is designed to run over 200* and that it may feel or look weird to most of us because we are used to 160 or 180* thermostats and trying to stay under 200. Unless you're actually experiencing problems, I wouldn't let 200+ degrees in traffic on a hot day scare you even a little.

If you've already done the thermostat and adjusted the fans accordingly, and you still have HIGH temps - have at it. I just don't want everyone to think they need this stuff because they are scared of 200* temps.

#13 · (Edited)
What exactly designs it to run at 215? The tune? If the thermostat and fans are set to come on at a lower temp, but the radiator/fan simply cannot dissipate the heat adequately... that is a problem. And I believe that is THE problem.

If this radiator doesn't fix the problem I am ditching the factory computer control and getting a DC Controller from Welcome to Delta Current Control

My Jeep runs stronger at a lower temp and I can tell it gets sluggish when hot.

#12 ·
I'm not overheating but during 100 degree days I'm close to 215 in traffic.

#15 ·
I agree on the fan issue. The thermostat and fans are set to come on lower.

Reactions: kevmster_k
#16 ·
Subscribed

#18 ·
I already do, that's why I'm interested in this new radiator.

#22 ·
The UPS guy dropped off the radiator at 5pm today. I finished installing it by 10. I also installed a 1-piece upper radiator hose and 180 thermostat curtesy of SPEEDDEMON. Earlier today I was running to nearly 230 degrees. After installing the new radiator, letting it warm up, and going for a good drive I never got above 177! I'd say my problem is solved!

Everything went well, especially for no instructions and figuring this out myself. 2 issues tho: 1. The overflow fitting on the new radiator is not present. There is a threaded hole, but nothing for my hose to attach to! So I put a screw and nut with some rubber material on the back to seal it through the hole for now until I get a better solution. It doesn't leak but in effect have no overflow for now. Issue #2 is the fan shroud does not sit flush against the new radiator. I'm not sure what the deal is but there is a good 1/4 or 1/2" gap from the radiator face. It may not be a big deal, as my temps are WAY WAY down. Also, since the radiator is thicker and the fan is closer to the engine, my Cold Air Intake tube is a bit squished. I may have to trim the shroud.

The Wizard radiator is easily twice as thick as the old one. It looks so great! My cooling system holds at least 2 whole containers of antifreeze now. That's about 50% more than before.

You have to re-use the "bushings" from your old radiator (2 circular ones at the top and 2 square ones at the bottom).

The radiator fit great. Pulling the fan and old radiator out was a PITA but could have been worse. I found when re-installing, once you get the radiator and fan in the engine bay it is much easier to get under the Jeep and massage them into place than from above. I have some $25 AutoZone ramps that I drove the front wheels up onto and that gave me plenty of room to work under the Jeep.

My initial impression is: I'm super happy with the Wizard radiator!

Standby for lots of pics of the install...

Attachments

#23 ·
Trimming the fan shroud for the 1-piece radiator hose. I used a dremel. Worked pretty well. Then I split a vacuum hose and used it to cover the edges and make it look nicer. I also had to hack off about 2" of the 1-piece hose (the end that goes into the water pump).

Some pics of disassembly and removing the fan.

Attachments

Reactions: SRT4IVA
#24 ·
Removing the radiator, and a side-by-side. The Wizard just dwarfs the stocker.

Attachments

#25 ·
More comparison pics, and initial fitting of the new radiator.

Attachments

Reactions: Jfra
#26 ·
Some pics of the radiator from under the Jeep.

The bottom 2 bolts that attach the AC condenser to the radiator gave me problems because there is not much clearance without taking off the front bumper cover (which I did not do). It was the hardest part of the install. I threw my wrench across the garage. But I managed to get it done. I will admit, the driver's side seems to be stripped.

The last pic is the bushings you have to re-use from your old radiator. The attach to the bottom of the radiator. I found this out the hard way.

Attachments

#27 ·
First pic shows the upper radiator bushings you have to re-use from your original radiator. They are circular. The long screws will not screw in all the way without them. I found that out the hard way.

2nd pic shows the fill tube/whatever it is called where the radiator cap goes. You can see the threaded hole where there should be a bung for the overflow tube to attach to. I'll call Wizard tomorrow and ask WTF.

The rest of the pics are from under the Jeep of how the fan shroud mates to the radiator. It sits a bit away from it towards the corners. Probably not as bad as I initially described.

Attachments

#28 ·
Almost done. Fan shroud in place.

Thermostat install. I accidentally put my original one back in and had to re-do it after re-filling the radiator. Suck.

You can see how I trimmed the fan shroud for the 1-piece radiator hose. It worked great when I had the stock radiator, but I need to re-do it for the thicker radiator.

Last pic you can see where I put a bolt and nut through the radiator overflow hole to seal it up. Seems to be working for now... no leaks. I'll get a real fix soon.

Attachments

#29 · (Edited)
1st pic: you can see how my CAI doesn't have much room, but I crammed it in there for now.

2nd pic: all buttoned up and ready for a test drive!

3rd pic: here are the results! 174-177 degrees driving and idling. I'll post more updates when it is hotter out.

Here are the fan settings I programmed into my Trinity:

Cooling Fans AC Off

High MPH HS Fan On

LS

MS

Low MPH HS Fan

LS

MS

Cooling Fans AC On

HS Fan On

LS

MS

I may need to bump-up these settings a bit. We'll see.

Shout-out to SPEEDDEMON for tele-helping.

Attachments

#30 ·
Great job and write up!

Reactions: BeefSRT
#32 ·
I called Wizard. The missing part was in the packing slip in the box. Duh.

Everything is good to go and it is working amazingly. 179 was the highest it got yesterday.

I trimmed the fan shroud more and now my CAI and the upper radiator hose are not touching anything.

Attachments

#43 ·
Spoke with them the other day plan on doing one here shortly, on a side note what ATI are you running? 5% overdrive?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.