Head & Intake Comparison - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Head & Intake Comparison

Hi I am wondering if anyone has done comparison on the different heads offered for the 6.1L Hemi. Specifically the GS Motorsports Heads and the Power Ported Heads. I was just wondering which one is better if any. Or if they are pretty comparable. I know the Power Ported ones are a little cheaper, but price is not the concern. So any one that has some proof or opinions on the two please let me know, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks Everyone!

Mike B. GO Cleveland Clowns, OH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06' Bright Silver GC SRT8
08' GT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Re: Head & Intake Comparison

I too would like to know more about the differences between the suppliers. I do know that some are hand ported & others are cnc ported. Lets get a list of the venders offering heads/intake/cams: PPP, GSM, Frank Racing, Dynamic, Heat, & TheHEMIShop.

Those who do strokers: PPP, TheHEMIShop,

'06 GC (Laredo) SRT8 InfernoRed EntryLevelJeep
'70 Charger R/T (under construction forever)
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-10-2007, 11:30 PM
Banned

Any reputable head porter can work wonders with a 6.1 head. By just looking at the brand specific guys you're missing out on the best in the business.
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotStroke?
Any reputable head porter can work wonders with a 6.1 head. By just looking at the brand specific guys you're missing out on the best in the business.

Okay "Gene", who is the best in the business?
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 01:34 PM

this thread may interest you

Dynamic Racing SRT-8 Heads/cam dyno
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
Okay "Gene", who is the best in the business?
I'm not saying you should use any one specific porter, just that you need to broaden your scope to encompass more than just Hemi specific porters/builders.
Don't assume that the 6.1L Hemi was forged in the hands of Zeus. It's a 2v pushrod moderate displacement V8, guess what, they've been around for over 50 years. Do some homework to see who's done what in the world of motorsports. Start by checking out Reher Morrison, especially their tech talk section. You'll begin to see why porters like Heat/Ported Power have such dismal results, with pictures of port cross sections to help you understand exactly why, and explanations as to why valve jobs are as critical as they are.
I personally use a world class builder (Al Papitto, google him and see what you get) who makes 600rwhp from steel rod N/A 5.4L 4v Ford, 440rwhp from steel rod N/A 4.6s, 1500rwhp+ from twin turbo Ford GT/GT500s, has built world record holding NHRA ProStock bike/blown alcohol funny car engines, NMRA PS/FS/Renegade motors, ex F1 V8s, etc etc.
After I do H/C (Mid Feb) I will post results. I'm certain Al will make me more power (no disrespect to anyone else) than others are seeing with their H/C packages because again he is literally a world class builder--there are maybe a handful of guys in the country that could possibly duplicate his work/results, then again, maybe not.
If you don't want to wait, do some research and see what you come up with. It took me several years and tons of $ down the drain before I ran into Al and realized what I do now--90%+ of the aftermarket doesn't have a clue, they're just out to get your hard earned money.

Last edited by GotStroke?; 01-11-2007 at 03:57 PM.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotStroke?
I'm not saying you should use any one specific porter, just that you need to broaden your scope to encompass more than just Hemi specific porters/builders.
Don't assume that the 6.1L Hemi was forged in the hands of Zeus. It's a 2v pushrod moderate displacement V8, guess what, they've been around for over 50 years. Do some homework to see who's done what in the world of motorsports. Start by checking out Reher Morrison.
I personally use a world class builder (Al Papitto, google him and see what you get) who makes 600rwhp from steel rod N/A 5.4L 4v Ford, 440rwhp from steel rod N/A 4.6s, 1500rwhp+ from twin turbo Ford GT/GT500s, has built world record holding NHRA ProStock bike/blown alcohol funny car engines, NMRA PS/FS/Renegade motors, ex F1 V8s, etc etc.
After I do H/C (Mid Feb) I will post results. I'm certain Al will make me more power (no disrespect to anyone else) than others are seeing with their H/C packages because again he is literally a world class builder--there are maybe a handful of guys in the country that could possibly duplicate his work/results, then again, maybe not.
If you don't want to wait, do some research and see what you come up with.
No disrespect, but I guess my point was if you're going to leave it open by saying something like "you're missing out on the best in the business...." that's not really helping much. Why even post that if it takes a second post to find out what you really mean?

Yes I know there are others out there, and not all porters are the same....but wasn't that the original question? (I didn't even ask it, I was just trying to help fish for more information...)

You also fail to mention that going the "professional" route tends to be more pricey and gains aren't that much more over the "non-professional" porters. For those guys who have a ton of money and want that extra 5-10 HP you're right, going with guys like Al Papitto is the way to go. But then again I've seen many guys go fast with "out of the box" style heads/port jobs too.

http://www.ls1speed.com/shopcar.cfm

995 RWHP / 8.93@153mph 370c.i. LS1 motor, iron block, stock crank, eagle connecting rods, and diamond pistons. Out of the box AFR 225 heads

Take it FWIW. Just trying to help everyone to make it a better community.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
No disrespect, but I guess my point was if you're going to leave it open by saying something like "you're missing out on the best in the business...." that's not really helping much. Why even post that if it takes a second post to find out what you really mean?
Sorry you didn't get it. I'll try to spell it out more clearly for you next time. I left my post open since I didn't want anyone to think I was plugging one specific porter. From now on maybe you should do your own homework.

Quote:
You also fail to mention that going the "professional" route tends to be more pricey and gains aren't that much more over the "non-professional" porters. For those guys who have a ton of money and want that extra 5-10 HP you're right, going with guys like Al Papitto is the way to go. But then again I've seen many guys go fast with "out of the box" style heads/port jobs too.

http://www.ls1speed.com/shopcar.cfm

995 RWHP / 8.93@153mph 370c.i. LS1 motor, iron block, stock crank, eagle connecting rods, and diamond pistons. Out of the box AFR 225 heads

Take it FWIW. Just trying to help everyone to make it a better community.
LMFAO that was one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read on the net. Letting anyone but a pro touch a set of cylinder heads is the worst mistake anyone can make. The avg. joe or even enthusiast doesn't have a damn clue how to make a set of heads flow better. I don't mean flow bench results because a sewer drainage pipe will flow 1000cfm with zero velocity. Quite often quality porters add as much material via weld/epoxy as they remove from other sections of heads.
The example you cited is USELESS, why? Because it's a forced induction motor. Forced induction is an outstanding band aid in compensating for shortcomings a motor may possess. You can hog the **** out of a set of heads used on a FI motor or even leave them stock because the blower/turbo creates the velocity/flow. Get it? Throw those heads on a N/A H/C motor and it will lift its leg to piss.
Finally, where do you get off saying a professional porter can only make 5-10hp more than a novice at much reduced cost? Where are some legit examples to cite reg. the differences in power made? Hint: There aren't any. Al makes 350HP from a 1.5L naturally aspirated 2v/SOHC small bore bike motor, even a "really really good" porter can't do that, let alone a nobody. LOL, when was the last time you called Al for a price quote? His pricing is industry standard, $750 for basic work (milling if applicable, Serdi 5 angle VJ with hand blend, short turn/bowl/exhaust work and assembly/disassembly), race porting is $1500 for more extensive porting plus the basic work. Those prices are for DOHC/4Vs so 2v stuff is also substantially cheaper since there are only half as many valves/seats to work. If you think that's too expensive, just remind yourself that anything worth a **** in this world costs money, you always get what you pay for.
The bottom line is that the potential HP any motor can make is in the cylinder head. Cam/intake determine how much of that potential is reached and where in the rpm band. When building a house you start with a solid foundation, in the case of a motor, the heads are the basement.
The best thing you or someone as blatantly ignorant as you can do for this forum is to not post when it comes to topics you don't have the first clue about. Crap/misinformation like you've just posted will do nothing but wrongfully distort the views of people that are truly trying to learn.
Anyone in the Ford camp knows that I've authored the most complete/comprehensive and accurate Modular head guide to date--it's actually 4 years old at this point but no one else has even bothered to better it. I plan on doing some in depth documentation with Al with the 6.1 heads when the time comes, simply because legitimate information on them is impossible to find at this point.
Sorry if I came off a little harsh but I hate misinformation, and I'm still sleep deprived from Vegas/Glendale.

Last edited by GotStroke?; 01-11-2007 at 05:57 PM.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Major Contributing Member

Can't wait to see the results, Andy. Keep us posted...
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 01-11-2007, 06:23 PM

I just looked at the locally done heads, not 6.1. (They call them junk, wrong shaped intake ports, lack velocity because of their shape, and don't really make HP until way out of the RPM Band of the 6.1 Hemi.) They also modified the shape of the intake ports. They should be tested soon as the final mods were just done to them. Spendy, but if they work they will be worth it. As far as other versions go, I can't say but according to them the stock 6.1 heads can't be improved any just made more sluggish by porting. These heads are CNC machined with several size valve options. Different valves completely, better shaped that should really flow. (341" at .500 lift, intake) I saw the flow charts. They are mostly only Mopar Engine Builders but the head porter knows other engines as well. I'll post more later when this information is available. Gene
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode