Thermostats - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2007, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Thermostats

I wanted to share some pix of a few t-stats that are available for our Jeeps.

The thermostats pictured below are, from left to right:
Robert Shaw (MotoRad) 383-170 (176*F)
Stock Thermostat (203*F)
Robert Shaw (MotoRad) 416-180
GSM ESP/Fan Mod Thermostat

Notice how much larger the bore is on the 383-170 and the stock unit then the other two. I have installed the 383-170 in my Jeep, and I have had no problems so far. At idle it gets up the the standard 215F, but drops down when cruising.

If you have a picture of the thermostat you are using, please post it in this thread.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 09:44 PM

anyone know a place to buy the Robertshaw or Motorad online? or from a vendor on this site? ... It seems the auto parts stores around here (Kragen & Monument) only carry Stant.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 12:49 AM
Banned

Go to Autozone and ask for T-stat part # 4127 now called the Valucraft 383-170.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 12:54 AM
Banned

Also remember you need to take it to a bench grinder or hand file/rasp for a few seconds/minutes because it's 63.5mm in dia vs. 63.0 for stock. Don't force it in or you will tear the gasket (which only comes with a new stock T-stat from your dealer), and make sure the wiggle pin/valve is at the highest vertical point when installing.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 10:07 AM
Senior Contributing Member

I always drill out a hole for the top position, I find in may cars the jigle pin is not adequate for easy bleeding and I prefer the water pump get a bit more flow when the t-stat is closed. This slows warm-up a little but down south it has not been an issue for me.

9.327sec@145.91mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode