Sylvania Silverstar Ultras - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Sylvania Silverstar Ultras

I just installed these on my 07 GC and I was really blown away by the difference. While they are not in the same league as HID lights, the improvement over stock is dramatic. Sylvania claims a 20% improvement in brightness and range, which seems accurate or close to it. They certainly throw a much whiter, wider and significantly longer beam than the stock lamps. Hopefully Sylvania’s claim of a 30% longer bulb life will turn out to be equally accurate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 10:27 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Re: Sylvania Silverstar Ultras

I have the SSU's & would not say they are that much better than the factory Sylvania's. They are whiter & wider , but not much longer. I'm not saying I don't like them, just that they aren't quite what I expected. They seem to have a very defined cutoff point on the length of the low beam(maybe I need to ajust the bulb alignment). I'm not sure for the $$ that GE NightHawks may be as good(I've never tried NH's). I know that GE HO sealed beams worked well on older cars.

'06 GC (Laredo) SRT8 InfernoRed EntryLevelJeep
'70 Charger R/T (under construction forever)
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
I just installed these on my 07 GC and I was really blown away by the difference. While they are not in the same league as HID lights, the improvement over stock is dramatic. Sylvania claims a 20% improvement in brightness and range, which seems accurate or close to it. They certainly throw a much whiter, wider and significantly longer beam than the stock lamps. Hopefully Sylvania’s claim of a 30% longer bulb life will turn out to be equally accurate.
How difficult was it to install these lights, and do you need two sets one each for high and low beam. It has been many years since I have done any work on a car,and do not want to screw it up.

07 GC SRT8, 08 Honda accord coup 6 cyl
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops
How difficult was it to install these lights, and do you need two sets one each for high and low beam. It has been many years since I have done any work on a car,and do not want to screw it up.
You need a set of 9005's & a set of 9006's. They just unplug from wiring, then twist the bulbhousing left, reinstall the new. Do not touch the bulbs. It's much easier than the older seeled beam type.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8
You need a set of 9005's & a set of 9006's. They just unplug from wiring, then twist the bulbhousing left, reinstall the new. Do not touch the bulbs. It's much easier than the older seeled beam type.
Exactly right. The whole process took perhaps 5 minutes with no tools required, although you do need to be a bit of a contortionist to reach the low beam bulbs. Again, SRT8 is 100% right, DO NOT TOUCH THE BULBS! The oils in your hands will cause them to die a swift death.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Thanks for the info guys, my last bulb changes were the sealed beams.I thought my eyes were dull, no it is the lights, will give them a shot.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 03:39 PM

How do the Ultras compare to the regular SilverStars?
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT8
I have the SSU's & would not say they are that much better than the factory Sylvania's. They are whiter & wider , but not much longer. I'm not saying I don't like them, just that they aren't quite what I expected. They seem to have a very defined cutoff point on the length of the low beam(maybe I need to ajust the bulb alignment). I'm not sure for the $$ that GE NightHawks may be as good(I've never tried NH's). I know that GE HO sealed beams worked well on older cars.
How about 9005's (65 watt high beam bulb) for the low beam, the high beam, and the fogs? Search the forum, with a little "surgery" to the plastic mount, the 9005's work at all three sites, and the 9005 has close to twice the light output of the 9006 bulb. Mine are the GE Nighthawks 9005's all around, and I have no complaints (color temp is more white than stock, but less white than the Silverstars). The combination of the fogs and low beams puts out a carpet of light on the back roads I drive to and from work.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Not to sure i want hi-beams in the low beam units...kinda blind the oncomers. Also, my fogs are always on when the headlights come on...wouldn't the 65s hurt the housings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotStroked View Post
No kids, don't have the patience...Notice a recurring theme? Hey just saw your wife at Big Lots, she thinks you're an idiot as well.
The Fastest Realtor in Houston!
Have-08 Titan, 06 GCSRT, more to come.

H2 gone, but not forgotten!

Had-5 T/As, 4 CobraStangs, 2 Expys, 1 Navi, 4 Camaros, Taurus, T-Bird,and other stuff i can't remember...

Want: Syclone, Viper, Ubbercaddy!
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 12-03-2006, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjvreede
How about 9005's (65 watt high beam bulb) for the low beam, the high beam, and the fogs? Search the forum, with a little "surgery" to the plastic mount, the 9005's work at all three sites, and the 9005 has close to twice the light output of the 9006 bulb. Mine are the GE Nighthawks 9005's all around, and I have no complaints (color temp is more white than stock, but less white than the Silverstars). The combination of the fogs and low beams puts out a carpet of light on the back roads I drive to and from work.
Why not just drive with your high beams on all the time? Isn't what your proposing virtually the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode