Stall Converters... - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Question Stall Converters...

I've heard some mention of stall converters here. What are they and how do they affect performance? Is this a mod worth while or should I be focusing on other areas first? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 01:53 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Re: Stall Converters...

A "stall converter" is usually refered to as a "torque converter" -- its basicly a device that sits between the crank and the transmission and it allows the car to "rev" to a certain RPM and keep the engine in the power band. There are different stalls (read: the range that the torque converter allows the motor to "flash" to before the torque converter starts transferring the power to the transmission) and generally speaking the higher the RPM, the quicker the acceleration as it puts you into the powerband more often then a lower stall converter.

Imagine if you punch your Jeep now at a low RPM and it doesnt necessarily kick down a gear.. you might be at 1500 RPM and the motor is lugging a bit... imagine if the converter kicked that up to 3500 RPM's instead.

Its a crude description, but you get the idea. Basicly, a torque converter is one of the best things you can do to an automatic tranny equipped vehicle that doesnt actually increase the power at all

Here's a good wikipedia article on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_converter
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Nice link, thanks ekool. So am I to understand that if you upgrade your converter then you're replacing the entire unit? If you do this how will this affect overall performance on the low and high end? And lastly could the torque converters in our Jeeps be the source of the downshift problems in the 30mph range? I have that problem in mine similar to what you just explained you punch it and the rpm's aren't high enough and it doesn't shift any lower so you just muddle along until the rpm's come up.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-30-2006, 09:08 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastJeepSRT8
Nice link, thanks ekool. So am I to understand that if you upgrade your converter then you're replacing the entire unit? If you do this how will this affect overall performance on the low and high end? And lastly could the torque converters in our Jeeps be the source of the downshift problems in the 30mph range? I have that problem in mine similar to what you just explained you punch it and the rpm's aren't high enough and it doesn't shift any lower so you just muddle along until the rpm's come up.
If you are looking towards the converter to fix the inherent ECM,TCM shortcomings, it will not. Downshifts are dictated by throttle position, vehicle speeds, torque load and rpm.Reducing the torque managment programming is the only real solution. Dont get me wrong converters would net you a reduction in 1/4 mile time if thats what your after(working within the powerband of the cam/motor) but your street driveability will suffer a little,to much stall speed and it feels like the tranny is slipping until the converters stall speed is reached. Tried to keep it simple,hope this helps.

2006 GC SRT 8(12.98@105.3-stock)-SOLD
2008 F-150 LIMITED #3449 of #5000
2006 TRAILBLAZER SS(SOLD)
2004 REDLINE SSR (SOLD)
1999 SVT F-150 (SOLD)
1987 GRAND NATIONAL (SOLD)
1996 IMPALA SS (SOLD)
1969 MACH-1 390,C-6 (SOLD)
1970 BUICK GSX, APOLLO WHITE (SOLD)
and various others

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode