Magnaflow exhaust better than stock? - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 01:04 AM Thread Starter

Magnaflow exhaust better than stock?

A good freind of mine owns a chain of exhaust shops. He's completely sold on this exhaust and insists that it will out perform the factory exhaust from SRT. Claims existing system is baffled and the Magnaflow is not. I must say that even at idol the exhaust from my SRT8 sounds weak compared to my '98 5.9 limited stock exhaust. I would like a better sound but I'm more intersted in the performance gains. Is it reasonable that the Magnaflow would give better Hp gains over the stock "baffled system"? It's about $1,800 for the Magnaflow Cat-back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 04:17 AM
Major Contributing Member

Re: Magnaflow exhaust better than stock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastJeepSRT8
A good freind of mine owns a chain of exhaust shops. He's completely sold on this exhaust and insists that it will out perform the factory exhaust from SRT. Claims existing system is baffled and the Magnaflow is not. I must say that even at idol the exhaust from my SRT8 sounds weak compared to my '98 5.9 limited stock exhaust. I would like a better sound but I'm more intersted in the performance gains. Is it reasonable that the Magnaflow would give better Hp gains over the stock "baffled system"? It's about $1,800 for the Magnaflow Cat-back.
I'm not going to get into debate about performance, loudness, drone etc., but lots of feedback here and on the blue site about gains, losses, dragstrip runs etc with both stock, and many other exhausts. Search.

BUT...don't know where you got that price. Magnaflow themselves lists MSRP at $1128. Lots of better pricing available than even that from several vendors, and several for sale used.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
I have a complete magnaflow system # 16709 possibly for sale. Used less than 200 miles. I have decided to do my own custom exhaust. The system is off and in original box. PM me if interested. Will hit E-BAY soon.

2006 GC SRT 8(12.98@105.3-stock)-SOLD
2008 F-150 LIMITED #3449 of #5000
2006 TRAILBLAZER SS(SOLD)
2004 REDLINE SSR (SOLD)
1999 SVT F-150 (SOLD)
1987 GRAND NATIONAL (SOLD)
1996 IMPALA SS (SOLD)
1969 MACH-1 390,C-6 (SOLD)
1970 BUICK GSX, APOLLO WHITE (SOLD)
and various others

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 08:25 AM

$1800 for the Magnaflow cat-back? That guy is not your friend.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 09:16 AM
ge2

I have the magnaflow c/b and absolutely love it. I have no idea about real gains or not, but I do know at $1800, you could almost have two, if you shopped around.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Sorry buddy but there is no way in hell that your 98' 5.9L with Stock Exhaust sounded better then the Stock Exhaust System on the Jeep SRT8. There's just no way. I've never heard a stock Exhaust sound this good. JMTC.

Mike B. GO Cleveland Clowns, OH
mabosc223@hotmail.com
06' Bright Silver GC SRT8
08' GT500

Last edited by mabosc223; 11-08-2006 at 09:51 AM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:48 AM

I have to admit at idle or coasting my 98 5.9 Limited sounded better than my JGC SRT8 at idle or coasting, but when you step on it the stock SRT8 exhaust kicks the 5.9 limited's a**

Black 2006 JGC SRT8, K&N filter, GSM phenolic intake spacer, Sylvania Silverstars, cabin air filter, aluminum stubby antenna, rear fog lights rigged as extra brake lights and turn signals
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabosc223
Sorry buddy but there is no way in hell that your 98' 5.9L with Stock Exhaust sounded better then the Stock Exhaust System on the Jeep SRT8. There's just no way. I've never heard a stock Exhaust sound this good. JMTC.

I've owned both vehicles and my '98 had a much deeper rumble than my new SRT8 outside of the vehicle. I always turned heads when I started that thing up. I will admit that while driving the SRT WOT or not it sounds much better than the 5.9, it reminds me alot of the old HEMI's. I just feel it lacks the deep rumble at start up I had with my 5.9. BTW that 5.9L ZJ came stock with a Gibson exhaust and it really does sound great. Thanks for the feedback on the price. That was my bad, I checked with him and I missquoted his price. He's still a bit over the $1100 mark so I'm going to shop around a bit. He agreed I should shop around. Again I'm more concerened with performance than sound. Don't really want to spend even $1100 for something that sounds better but does little for performance. My '98 ZJ sounded great but couldn't touch my SRT8.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I've owned both vehicles and my '98 had a much deeper rumble than my new SRT8 outside of the vehicle. I always turned heads when I started that thing up. I will admit that while driving the SRT WOT or not it sounds much better than the 5.9, it reminds me alot of the old HEMI's. I just feel it lacks the deep rumble at start up I had with my 5.9. BTW that 5.9L ZJ came stock with a Gibson exhaust and it really does sound great. Thanks for the feedback on the price. That was my bad, I checked with him and I missquoted his price. He's still a bit over the $1100 mark so I'm going to shop around a bit. He agreed I should shop around. Again I'm more concerened with performance than sound. Don't really want to spend even $1100 for something that sounds better but does little for performance. My '98 ZJ sounded great but couldn't touch my SRT8.
Is that a special model for that year. I did not know it came with a Gibson Exhaust. I was gonna say, you know how the stock mufflers sound on all cars. There is no sound. And if I were you I'd look at a Corsa Exhaust. It's well worth the money and the sound is tuned so perfectly. . JMTC.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-08-2006, 03:51 PM

Here are some thoughts from other forum members, as far as exhausts are concerned...

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/p...sults&pollid=6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode