Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Canadian Custom Class III Hitch

28K views 40 replies 23 participants last post by  Resaletech 
#1 ·
Well it took a few months for me to line someone up, but through some contacts, was able to find a guy not far outside of Toronto who is a fabricator that builds race cars for CASCAR (Canadian Stock Car Circut). Has been building hitches since before Reese and Hidden were around and everyone got custom fabricated hitches. Nowe he builds full race car frames and this project was a little "simple" for him, but he was happy to do it.

I have been looking to design a true "hidden" hitch, but one that was at least a Class III rating with a 2" receiver so that I could tow my boat as well as attach a motorcycle carrier to the receiver and haul my bike.

My original idea that some of you may remember me posting had the hitch receiver up by the floor pointing toward the ground and used an "L" removeable draw bar attachment to bring the receiver out under the exhaust. The idea being that if this piece was removed, the hitch could not be seen. The problem was that the guy who built my hitch didn't like the design because he said it would not be strong enough for what I needed.

We followed this principle though and still installed a receiver back behind the exhaust and at about the height of the tailpipes so that it could not be seen when looking at the truck, but points toward the tailpipes. Then we designed a bar with about a 2" drop that attaches up underneath and behind the tailpipes, but comes out below and in between the exhaust. This gives me a 2" receiver that will accept a standard draw bar with a trailer ball, or will accept my motorcycle carrier (or any bicycle rack). There is also a round loop for safety chains.

We also bulid a separate bar that hooks underneath as well, but this one longer and will have a trailer ball on the end which can be used when I am towing the boat. The idea of this is there will be no need to futher attach a draw bar with a trailer ball, so there will be one less joint to make noise while towing. I will attach 4 pics in this post and 8 more in the next 2 posts.

This setup is exactly what I have been wanting, it is very strong, braced at the side subframe rails and also at the back bumper where there are 2 - 9/16" metric equivalent bolts to tie into. This gives a triangle "T" design. Best of all, when the bar is not attached for the receiver end, no one would know there was a hitch on my truck. Again, the guy who fabricated this builds race car frames by hand and knows his stuff. Sorry for the dirt....

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive exterior

Water Automotive exhaust Auto part Exhaust system Muffler

Tire Automotive tire Auto part Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Vehicle Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Bumper

See less See more
#35 ·
I'm interested

#36 ·
No it doesn't work with Corsa or Borla.

With some modification to the square bar that runs up to the exhaust hanger, changing that to 1/2" flat stock, it will work. But not as designed because the Corsa cans are right where that bar goes up between the stock tips.

#37 ·
I like it....Good job man!

#39 ·
Yeah but I want to buy one (or get the drawings for it) or something that can support 500 lb tongue weight

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.