Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Why are Jeep owners such prima donna's?

4K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  Gunz 
#1 · (Edited)
Some of you may know by my recent threads over the past few months that I've been looking for a GCSRT8. But why is it when I offer a very reasonable price to a seller that I'm met with such opposition? I've scheduled three meet-ups with three different sellers and have yet to see one, and it usually goes bad before I can even go see it.... It's not my fault you went to the dealer and bought a $30k 06 with 90k+ miles on it.... One guy even caught a attitude and canceled because I decided to meet him in the town he had on his ad. One guy called the deal off and had the nerve to tell me I wasn't a serious buyer because it snowed and I was taking too long to come see it a week after contact. He even suggested Paypal'ing him the money and scheduling a meet-up at another time.. Like WTF? I'm sorry I wanted to test drive and look over the vehicle thoroughly lol. I'm only looking for an 06 around $20k or less and I don't mind the miles... But what's the deal with these entitled sellers?

#6 ·
Those prices all sound stellar... There are no used for sale anywhere near me so I bought a new one... $70,000 + tax up here in Canada land with the biggest discount I could play with.

These damn things are pricey.

@OP - it sounds like you're reaching to be honest. You're looking to buy what is probably the lowest priced GCSRT8 in the country (I have not seen many for less than $20k) and are frustrated when guys back out. Welcome to buying a used car in a private sale.

If you can, up your budget, buy one that's treated right and not abused. You're looking to spend Honda Civic money on a high cost, high maintenance SUV... The service and problems you'll see in the future probably don't make much sense if you can only afford $20k.

#7 ·
Actually you'd be surprised with prices of the sellers that actually OWN they're trucks. Some of the prices that people owe and want after a year of ownership is what baffles me. I've seen some very good rigs on paper in the $17-$20k with less than 100k on the dash. You just gotta look it's not too far fetched... It's just a shame something always happens before I can go see one.

#9 ·
is it private sellers off here? thats weird if it is, if not and you are dealing with craiglist people etc, thats normal and a sketchy source to start off with. Most craigslist exchanges I have had haven't gone smooth or didn't happen at all. No offense either but some guys with high mileage 06's I have met off the forum are guys who just hardly could afford it and stretched to get it in the first place so are going to try to pull every penny back they have spent, which we all know doesn't happen. Just keep trying man, there are a lot of good ones I see for sale on the forum time to time, just keep looking around.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109401
For example ^^^^^

Posted here in MI today, supercharged and only ~2k over your price, miles are a little higher but if you are looking 06 under 100k isn't going to be super easy to come by. Heck my 08 has almost 100k now. Thats not too far from NY/NJ area either.

#11 ·
Someone selling an '06, high mileage, low price. You ask why they are shady? You're aiming at the bottom rung.....

Those jeeps have been ridden hard and put up wet. They aren't prima donnas, they are trying to dump the truck and don't want you to take your time and see what's wrong with it.

Anyone who respected their jeep and took care of it will give you the time and courtesy. Don't go offering them 20K for a truck that's worth high 20's or 30's. That's called insulting the seller.

Pay 20K and get what you paid for, don't come out here talking like we all have unrealistic expectations and bad attitudes.

#14 ·
Very true as well.

#13 ·
Keep looking. I've seen plenty of '06s with under 100k around or under $20k in my area.

Don't involve yourself with someone who's asking more than bluebook. Maybe wait to make an offer on the vehicle after a test drive. If the owner won't let you get in and beat on it, ask him/her to do it for you.

As other's mentioned, look for people selling on the forum, they usually take care of their rides and there's info on what they've done.

#15 ·
I can guarantee you that this doesn't only occur with Jeep owners as well lol. Good luck with finding one within your budget though. It may take some time, but something will come along.

#16 ·
It is unfortunate, and you'll get this with most private sellers on anything. Most think their vehicle is worth at least clean/excellent book. In this case, I would recommend shopping at a franchised dealer. They'll be into these right and sell them accordingly. They'd also be more willing to offer a demo and address any flaws with the truck. Personally, I'd have a hard time paying over $15K for a vehicle that is 8 years old with 100K+ miles and originally only stickered for $40K. The market has definitely changed on these rigs over the last few years. Four years ago, I had a no sale on here with my '07 with 82K miles and fresh motor/tranny for $19K.

#19 ·
I bought an 06 a year ago with 28000 miles for $25000 and absolutely mint condition. I have seen plenty on this forum for sale at very reasonable prices. In fact they are so reasonable that I debated buying another one for the wife. But plans have changed. Good luck with your search.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#21 ·
I know, specially if you have an accent (LIKE I DO!)
I suggest you filter what you are looking for at CARGURUS.COM as I have found 2 of my previous cars in there at a very reasonable price, and at the end, ENDED-UP paying a couple of grand less than asked prices.
Check it out.
LCL

#22 ·
There are always people who think their vehicle is worth more than most because THEY owned it. When you're dealing with a unique, specialized, type of vehicle, there's going to be even more.

Keep looking, you can find a good one, you just have to be patient. HOWEVER, be ready to pounce when the right deal comes up.

I got lucky with mine,it popped up at what seemed to be an exceptional deal. I called and confirmed the price. drove out of province to see it. Was in very good conditon, but had about 135,000 kms (82,000 miles). It needed all new shocks/struts and springs as the old owner had put on some cheap replacements, and they were now worn out as well. Needed new front tires as they had just enough tread to pass inspection. Not a problem as I had a BC Racing setup and various leftover parts from my 05 Laredo. Already had a Borla S exhaust on it as well.

$18,900 plus provincial tax (5%) and it was mine. This was in December of 2012. Other rigs with similiar year and mileage were going for $23-$25K. Remember this is Canada so these trucks sold at over $50,000 when new.

#23 ·
1 year ago i bought a 2010 jeep srt8 with leg maker carbon fiber intake,headers magnaflow cat back,tint all around,"murdered" drilled slotted rotors,carbon fiber around the engine bay bt under hood package,rad cap ect, stainless valve covers,custom badges,and srt8 door sill plates with 48000 kms for 39000 canadian if that helps... feel free to chime in,i think i got a good deal???

#24 ·
Sounds like a clean ride, tastefully modified. That's about an average price but if it was clean then it was worth it. I paid 34k canadian 3 years ago for a 2008 with 34k km. It needed a few small cosmetic things but he was asking 39k.

Reactions: 2010jcsrt8edm
#25 · (Edited)
Usually people who sell privately are trying to get the most money for their ride. If they wanted to get market value they would sell it to a dealer. Its obvious you are trying to get the lowest possible price for an SRT, it will take a lot of no's and a lot of time. my preference would be to check out the classifieds on this forum. If you cant afford an srt8 right now, check in a year or so. Its going to be very hard to find one for under 25k, and almost impossible under 20k. Dealers alone love the SRT as they sell quickly. Im still not sure why the 06-10 srt is so undervalued. with 70k miles they should still be in the market of 40k compared to the wk2.

#26 ·
I paid 38K for my 2010 with 10,303 miles on it. It still smelled new when you opened the door.

With that being said, I feel that a truck like this, with high cost of ownership, you might wanna consider holding off until you can afford something with low miles that isn't going to need tires, brakes, and god knows what else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.