Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Ptcm

11K views 57 replies 12 participants last post by  MattSRT 
#1 ·
Hey guys/gals

Jim, you might want to chime in here,,,,,,need some local help, about to purchase Builder Bills PTCM. Read the forum about pulling down the piece underneath the steering column blah, blah...Now, am I taking apart from the front where steering is or the back close to the pedals?? How about this:D I either can meet someone, someplace and they can show me how this is done:eek:......Let me know how I can re-pay you for this favor!!!! I'm in the Los Angeles area, but willing to drive a bit if I need to....So what do you say folks?? Just would like to get this thing outta here so when my new unit arrives I can just slap it in

Thanks in advance,

Mack:cool:

#2 · (Edited)
All you need to do is to pull down the panel underneath the steering wheel. The TCM is going to be near the back right. Pull it forward slowly paying attention to the connecting wires. Unclip both wire connectors from the TCM, one is a simple push clip, the other one you just need a small screwdriver to push the button like clip in and just detach it from the TCM. When you get the Paramount PCM just put it in in the same fashion, slide on both connectors until they click and you are finished. Don't forget to set your axle ratio to 3.73 on your trinity/predator. If I was nearby, I would put it in for you in just a couple of minutes. The only tool you should need is a small ice-pick or screwdriver.

#7 ·
Thanks Speedemon,

I wish you were close as well, looks a little intimidating don't want to pull anything loose, will try tomorrow, having a little something installed so will try when I return.....

Thanks all, will let you know

Mack

#5 ·
Pretty much!
Yes, same location. The only difference is the Mopar TCM doesn't work. :D

And to the op, it is a lot easier if someone shows you where the TCM is from the factory. I think it also has a insulating panel around it making even harder to spot. Like Speeddemon said, its a 5 minute job when you know where to look.

#4 ·
Pretty much!

Reactions: jumpback
#9 ·
As BJB said, look for the insulation panel. Remove it and you'll find the TCM above the steering wheel about the level of the speedo.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the help guy/gals seem to have another problem, PO 174 lean Bank 2, have replaced the o2 sensor and it still show up after a couple of days.
Any thoughts, suggestions?
Stock 2010 srt8 just a Cai and canned tune should I put the stock tune in and see if it still throws the cel?

Thanks
Mack

#17 ·
Mack, how did everything turn out with this?

Where are you located? There are a few jeep owners here in San Diego. If your ever around, down this way, give me a shout and we can possibly meet up.

Ray

#18 ·
Hey Ray,

The PTCM is a great mod!!, i also installed Bill's Stage II valve body. Its mild if you leave it in drive, but auto stick shifts quick and hard. What year is your rig??? i'm a little distance from you in Los angeles......What mods do you have so far??

Mack:cool:

Reactions: Raymond Bunch
#23 ·
Hey Mack,
Quick question, did you install your PTCM? Or did someone else do it for you?

I'm asking because mine should be here tomorrow sometime as it was overnighted to me.

If you did install your own, how did you do it? Step by step please...

I already have an idea how to do it through searches on this site, but just wanted to know what worked best for you.

Ray

#24 ·
Remove the old TCM from under the dash. The key for me was getting up high enough under the dash to see the insulation panel. The module sits right behind the panel. Unplug the old one and plug in the new one. The instructions, once its plugged in, are printed on a label attached to the PTCM. It will tell you to return your shift points to stock, if they have been raised, and to set your axle ratio to 3:73. When you check the axle ration on the trinity, you are good if the 3.73 is flashing, if not it needs to be reset.

#25 ·
See post 2 also.

#26 ·
Great, thank you!

#29 ·
So if I read this right.

1. Load up my "stock" tune.
2. Put in the PTCM and go through the steps to set it up for the 3.73 gears.
3. Back it up.
4. Now load my last custom tune that makes my go fast parts work.

Now I should be good to go from here on out?

#30 ·
So if I read this right.

1. Load up my "stock" tune.
2. Put in the PTCM and go through the steps to set it up for the 3.73 gears.
3. Back it up.
4. Now load my last custom tune that makes my go fast parts work.

Now I should be good to go from here on out?

Your close but not quite.

What you want to do is load in your stock tune with the stock TCM still installed and untouched.
Once you have gone back to stock and your Trinity or predator or whatever it is you're using is now officially unmarried, then you are ready to begin.

You want to remove the stock TCM and plug in the PTCM.

Then when you go to load your new go fast tune, it will need to take a backup file.
Then it will pull a backup file off of your jeep and pull the data off of the PTCM, essentially fooling the computer into thinking that it is the stock TCM.

So that new "stock" back up actually has what you need for the PTCM in it.

See what I mean now?

Once you have that new stock back up that was pulled from the PTCM keep it in a separate file I suggest naming it "stock PTCM backup file" or something and always use that as your stock backup file every time it asks you to select it when uploading a revision or a new tune.

So really what you were doing is you're creating a stock backup file that isn't going to screw up your expensive PTCM.

At that point you can load any go fast tune you want into it and you should be just fine.
And yes check that your gears are 3.73 etc. I believe I checked that mine were correct after I had my performance tune in and loaded. I'm not sure if it matters regarding the order for the 3.73 gear etc. I think you can check out anytime as long as you do it before you start driving around.
Anyway I hope that helps I know it's super confusing.

#32 ·
This is all pretty technical... :D

Diablo doesn't write / read anything about the TCM. Just the PCM.

As I've said before, I've left my PTCM in and have flashed many cal's with no issues. The only thing that bricks these is adjusting the shift points.

Reactions: MattSRT
#33 ·
I think that protocol does apply to the MTCM according to Johan or it gets bricked. My understanding with PTCM is that it is unaffected.

Reactions: MattSRT
#34 · (Edited)
That could very well be because I started with an MTCM and Johan tunes mine too. I just assumed it must've taken information from the TCM I didn't know for sure but why else would you have all those steps is basically what I was thinking lol it's probably for the MTCM.
I guess I'm being overly careful but I sure don't want to pay for another one! ha ha

Reactions: jntdysf
#36 ·
I'm sorry, but I held off putting my PTCM in due to all the conflicting information above. Do it this way, do it that way, ect...

Can only ONE person WHO HAS installed the PTCM reply as to how to you installed it in detail. I will follow your detailed instructions to a tee. Thanks. ~Ray

#37 ·
Yes there might be some confusing information listed. Both ways work. BJB, I met the guy and he knows his truck and the products in it. MattSRT, he has overcome some big hurtles with his jeep and has given in depth threads as to how and way things happened. He also gave solutions to fix the problem.
But when in doubt go to the source and the source for the PTCM is paramount performance (builderbill).

Reactions: MattSRT and roadboy
#40 ·
Thank you for the kind words. You guys can definitely listen to Brian (a.k.a. BJB) on this one. He's one of the ones that helped me out originally when I was wondering.

OK I figure I better clear this up. The procedure I told you to do is originally for the MTCM and it is directly from Johan who tunes many many of our vehicles.
When the time came for me to switch to a PTCM I just did it the same way to be careful.

The original thread is here:

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-58721.html

Anyway I hope that clears up the confusion, it's a lot easier with the PTCM and it's a much better unit overall anyway.
All the other steps aren't really necessary and were originally for the Mopar TCM I guess.
So listen to Brian here guys, what I told you certainly won't hurt it and it's what I did but it is overkill and not necessary.

#43 ·
You will like it :)

#45 · (Edited)
Hey guy's, I finally had time to install the PTCM today. It really wasn't all that bad, honestly, I expected worse being that it was way up top under the dash. However, I had to become a contortionist to get under the dash just right to switch it out. It wasn't an easy feat being that I'm 6 2" 240lbs. I'll probably be sore in the morning. lol

Thanks again guys for all your help and advice!
Ray

#47 ·
Good News!!! Enjoy It!!!

#48 ·
Just took it for a drive to pick up some groceries and what not... Didn't got WOT yet though, but plan on testing it out tonight sometime after my son's football practice. I can defiantly tell the shifting is faster in drive while just driving normal.

How much do you guys pick up mph and ET wise while racing with the PTCM?

So far I have ran pretty consistent 7.4 - 7.5 @95-96mph in the 1/8 with the stock TCM going into limp mode. Just wondering what I can expect this Friday when I go racing again?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.