Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

HOW TO: WK2 Black Ops End Links

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  cmn1 
#1 ·
Tools needed: 18mm deep socket (or wrench if you prefer for some bolts), various extensions to help reach some of the bolts, vice grip pliers, crescent wrench (possibly a 17mm wrench), torque wrench, loctite blue (optional).

At least one jack (totes obvs), but I used a second jack to move the lower arm up and down. You could easily do this with one jack and just use jack stands to hold the jeep up.

Be safe. Use jack stands.

Step 1: Jack up the SRT and remove the front wheel.

Step 2: Place the vice grips on the inside ring of the end link. You’ll see it spin as you remove the bolt, otherwise. As you loosen the bolt, the vice grips will make contact with something and hold it in place so you can completely remove the bolt. Repeat for the bottom bolt.

Step 3: Remove the factory end link. You’ll need to place the jack under the lower control arm and jack it up. Watch the end link as you raise the arm, you’ll eventually see the tension on it be relieved and it can easily be removed.

Before placing the jack.

After:

*NOTE* You shouldn’t need to fight to get these things out OR IN. If so, you need to either raise or lower the arm using the jack.

Step 4: Insert the Black Ops end link. I put a dab of Loctite blue on the nut before putting it on the link. I then took my crescent wrench and placed it on the inside of the end link. This is the same principal as the vice grips before. The stud will rotate when you try to tighten it. I BELIEVE it's a 17mm. So using a 17mm wrench would be way easier. I didn't have one, but the crescent wrench worked fine.

Step 5: Torque to 75lbs. and put your heavy ass wheel back on.

Now on to the rear link.

Step 6: Repeat steps 1-2

Step 7: Repeat step 3, but removing the rear end link can be tricky. It bumps into the axle, so I found it easier to pull the bottom out then spin it up to pull the top out. Reinstalled the same way.

Step 8: Repeat steps 4-5.

Take the SRT out for a test drive. Take it over some bumps (I like to find some speed bumps where I can take one side over at a time) to see if you hear any popping (maybe didn’t get it seated well when tightening).

See less See more
#3 ·
^^^^ Ditto, what he said!!! LOL ^^^^

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.