Jeep Dealers Caught Tacking on Unnecessary Charges in "Today" Show Exposé - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
Cherokee SRT8 News This section contains news relating to the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 as well as site news. Only administrators may START threads in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Jeep Dealers Caught Tacking on Unnecessary Charges in "Today" Show Exposé

We've all heard the horror stories about women who take their cars into a mechanic to fix a minor problem, only to be charged outrageous fees for non-existent or small issues. A national news program went undercover to get the scoop. After placing hidden cameras at several dealerships, the show's decoy was overcharged for service work.

The MSNBC "Today" show sent a producer with a functional, out-of-warranty 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee to five New York-area Jeep dealerships. Before sending her on her way, the network hired a mechanic to install a faulty air conditioning relay, so warm air would blow out of the unit. This problem would cost you about $100 to fix.

When the producer took her Jeep to four of the five garages, mechanics found the faulty relay, but they tacked on extra services to the bill. When the show interviewed third party repair experts, they said these extra services were considered unnecessary. At one dealership, the producer was told her air conditioning compressor had blown up and it would cost $2,000 to fix.

But hopefully some good will come from this news segment Chrysler spokesman Gualberto Ranieri issued a statement to MSNBC: "I can assure you that we are investigating this case."

More: Jeep Dealers Caught Tacking on Unnecessary Charges in "Today" Show Exposť on Autoguide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Premium Whore (Lifetime)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGuide.com View Post

We've all heard the horror stories about women who take their cars into a mechanic to fix a minor problem, only to be charged outrageous fees for non-existent or small issues. A national news program went undercover to get the scoop. After placing hidden cameras at several dealerships, the show's decoy was overcharged for service work.

The MSNBC "Today" show sent a producer with a functional, out-of-warranty 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee to five New York-area Jeep dealerships. Before sending her on her way, the network hired a mechanic to install a faulty air conditioning relay, so warm air would blow out of the unit. This problem would cost you about $100 to fix.

When the producer took her Jeep to four of the five garages, mechanics found the faulty relay, but they tacked on extra services to the bill. When the show interviewed third party repair experts, they said these extra services were considered unnecessary. At one dealership, the producer was told her air conditioning compressor had blown up and it would cost $2,000 to fix.

But hopefully some good will come from this news segment Chrysler spokesman Gualberto Ranieri issued a statement to MSNBC: "I can assure you that we are investigating this case."

More: Jeep Dealers Caught Tacking on Unnecessary Charges in "Today" Show Exposť on Autoguide.com

And that's why its called a stealership.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:20 PM
PWR - Boosted & Stroked

Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangSlayerMA View Post
And that's why its called a stealership.
Have to agree. I just paidn $1k to have the sunroof on a 04 Neon fixed worth maybe 3k. Yes it needed fixed & I told them to proceed but still DAMN. Should have taken it neighbor hood sunroof shop.

Jim

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:30 PM
Administrator

I wouldn't characterize this as being unique to Jeep dealerships or any brand for that matter. It's a rampant problem throughout the whole auto repair industry. Always has been and I don't see anything changing.

Bernie

WK2 SRT8 Owners - Please post in the WK2 SRT8 Registry thread!

2005 300C SRT8 - #72 of 252 (excl. 11 pilots) - #10 of 35 Canadian SRT8's built
2008 Harley Davidson FLSTF Fatboy - Vance & Hines Big Shots STGD with FuelPak tune.
2008 Jeep GC SRT8 - Custom Build/Custom Delivered by SRT - 1 of 1 in Canada
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Major Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambit View Post
I wouldn't characterize this as being unique to Jeep dealerships or any brand for that matter. It's a rampant problem throughout the whole auto repair industry. Always has been and I don't see anything changing.

Bernie
This ^^

poeple just dont know these days ... and sadly enough, most businesses will take full advantage of that. My neighbour had his cutouts welded in and the shop tried to tell him it took 6.5 hours @ 95$/hour .. total bill after tax of 691.60... I volunteered to make the trip down to the shop to set things right. ended up refunding him $500 for " additional work required for install "

We live in a twisted world.

| Eibach/Bilstein - 275/315 Proxes II | R1 Premium Cryo S&D w/Hawks | K00KS LT-DMH | BT-Catch | CAI | Pred | DC Custom |
Innocent victim of the "Buy Now" button.
07' Fully Built STi - Rotated GT35R- 545AWHP on pump
08' Sierra Denali - 6" BDF Lift
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Price gouging at its finest

Jason
2009 Silver Jeep Srt-8
419 ci with 88mm Precision turbo, Paramount driveline
DTP Racing

RIP RoKDoG

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 02:14 PM

My buddy works at Chrysler dodge jeep dealership and a few months ago a new manger started and he had a huge meeting about how this dealer need to up sell basically wanted them to find 100hrs worth of labour a week on customers cars that had came in for regular maintaince... Everyone was pretty pissed this new guy wanted to do this

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandm3 View Post
Price gouging at its finest
Damn right, that is how America is today unfortunately

2008 Jeep SRT-8 Red Rock 2.4 Whipple SOLD
2013 Ford Raptor Super Crew 6.2 SOLD
www.youtube.com/BOYCHIKS
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 10:36 PM

I once witnessed a Chrysler (Dodge) dealer quote an older woman $500 to install a serpentine belt. I told her to meet me at AutoZone with $50 and I'd do it while she waits. The sad thing is, she didn't believe me and probably paid the $500.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to Toothmonger
I was charged 5 hrs labor on replacing an alternator on my boat a couple years back. 3 bolts and a belt :\ Mechanic must have been that guy Harrison Ford was chasing. Learned my lesson of leaving credit card on file.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode