Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

So I installed a Borla Atak on my 16' SRT...

29K views 99 replies 29 participants last post by  Ssbuilt808 
#1 · (Edited)
...and holy crap is it loud!

I have had some loud cat-backs over the years, but this 392 absolutely screams with the Atak. Cold start is ridiculous, I am sure my neighbors hated me this morning at 6 am, and WOT... well let's just say I've had many thumbs up from other drivers. Inside the cabin it sounds great too, enough of a rumble to remind me it's not stock, but not overbearing at all. I absolutely love it, and the novelty is never going to wear off! The SRT is my daily driver, I do have a professional type career and my clients are always asking me to drive.

The Cold Start bark for those interested...

#2 ·
keep it, if you like it now you will continue to like it....yeah, I feel like a 21 yr old sometimes but my wife says I have always acted that way so.... :) I am 52 and white collar and I just chill when needed and I have to start it with garage door closed at 5:30a due to that wonderful cold-start bark :) FWIW, it's not that "loud" when cruising like a normal driver but you always know hooligan mode is "on tap"...try this and I swear you won't be able to part with it....find the right situation be in Track mode and bomb into a tight turn or two and when she rev matches on aggressive braking/downshifting it's awesome ;)---

#3 ·
Man, you summed it up perfectly! The 392 burble when I let off the gas alone makes me all giddy. And I absolutely agree it is very subdued while cruising normally, but that cold start and WOT is just intoxicating.

GoPlzGo, did you have a chance to hear the cat-back version of the Type-S? In cat-back configuration, I really wonder how different they are from one another?

#5 ·
I had one on my 2016 for 2 weeks. I loved the way it sounded at start up and around town. But when my right foot was planted to the floor, it was a deal breaker for me. I went to an AFE, and frankly I wish it was louder around town, but at WOT it's plenty loud enough for me...

#6 ·
To answer your question, no! Keep the ATAK. Don't you dare go with the S. The S is for old guys wearing red loofers and yellow khaki jeans. Haven't heard the S in person but I bet it sounds very stockish from what I heard over my crappy speakers and intraweb. I am the ATAK fanboy on these forums by the way. So every thing I say is heavily biased. Had it on the Jeep for over 2 years and it gets a tad louder. But nothing crazy, so don't worry. I am also a "professional"(George will approve), in the medical branche but could really give a shit what clients think, a guys got to have some fun right. And for the neighbors, they just know when I got out of the wrong side of the bed. WOT morning! By the way my neighbors love me!

#14 ·
It's fun, in a juvy kinda way, to remote start just as someone approaches the rear or close enough....heads turn and when they see it's a Jeep, they do this...
Literally just happened to me on site. I didn't remote start, but there was a group of people walking by as I started the Jeep. A few of the people jumped and laughed then everyone realized it was a Jeep and they all had confused looks on their faces.

#15 ·
hahaha, had a buddy try to sneak up on me from behind while engine was running...I caught him directly behind me crouched down like 1 foot from the exhaust tip....gunned that beotch, he shat himself and was partially deaf half the night...it was poker night...I am never gonna grow up!

#18 ·
Laqualo here,

So i did a lot of research . I have the type S catback and love it . I spoke with Borla directly and they helped me with my decision . They are basically just as loud as each other .but the tone is different . the type S is described as more of a old school muscle car sound . ATAK is more Raspy . The type S is still loud at cold Start and WOT . Subtle cruising its quiet and not annoying .

The guy saying its silent and for old guys has no idea. My neighbors here it ever time i start it . I also have to start it with garage door closed . A lot of people get confused and compare to the axwl back ones on the market . They are munch quieter especially on a cold start .

My advice would be keep what you have . Since the only thing you would be changing is the tone and not how loud it is .

#24 · (Edited)
Directly from Borla...

The S-type system defiantly does not sound stock, it still provides a very noticeable increase in the sound even at idle. The S-type Cat-Back is about as loud as the ATAK; however, it also important to consider that there is a difference in the tone overall other than just loudness, the ATAK system provides more popping where as the S-type system is more of an even sound.

The Atak burble is pretty much my favorite aspect of this system. Thanks to laqualo and his video, to me anyway it sounds like cold start and overall volume is indeed the same (in cat-back configuration), so it really comes down to personal preference in the tone desired, and the Atak burbling, gurgling, and popping when off throttle is intoxicating.

• The Atak system is more raw engine tone, and there is plenty of burbling, gurgling, and popping when off throttle and rev matching.

• The Type-S system is more even tone, still aggressive with plenty of volume, burbling, gurgling, and popping when off throttle is minimal due to the tuned rear mufflers.

Hopefully this information will help anyone interested in a Borla cat-back system for a WK2 SRT. :)

#27 ·
As much as I'd like to hear the Type-S in person before I decide, since I have the Atak and like the burble and popping I think I am going to keep it. I'm not sure if 32 years of life is considered old, but I have gotten way more compliments than dirty stares, so maybe I was overthinking how loud it actually is.

Best comment thus far from one of my superintendents "Jeeps are not supposed to sound that pissed off!" :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.