So I installed a Borla Atak on my 16' SRT... - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
 40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

So I installed a Borla Atak on my 16' SRT...

...and holy crap is it loud!

I have had some loud cat-backs over the years, but this 392 absolutely screams with the Atak. Cold start is ridiculous, I am sure my neighbors hated me this morning at 6 am, and WOT... well let's just say I've had many thumbs up from other drivers. Inside the cabin it sounds great too, enough of a rumble to remind me it's not stock, but not overbearing at all. I absolutely love it, and the novelty is never going to wear off! The SRT is my daily driver, I do have a professional type career and my clients are always asking me to drive.

The Cold Start bark for those interested...

cmdwolf and jSeReTp 16 like this.

2016 SRT Night

Last edited by JonniMR; 04-14-2017 at 10:45 AM. Reason: #1 Atak Fanboy Status
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:43 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

keep it, if you like it now you will continue to like it....yeah, I feel like a 21 yr old sometimes but my wife says I have always acted that way so.... I am 52 and white collar and I just chill when needed and I have to start it with garage door closed at 5:30a due to that wonderful cold-start bark FWIW, it's not that "loud" when cruising like a normal driver but you always know hooligan mode is "on tap"...try this and I swear you won't be able to part with it....find the right situation be in Track mode and bomb into a tight turn or two and when she rev matches on aggressive braking/downshifting it's awesome ---

2015 Bright White JGC SRT Red Vapor...Borla ATAK Cat-back w/ ceramic coated axle-back, aFe Momentum GT Pro 5R Stage-2 Intake & Billet Tech Oil Catch Can
The Following User Says Thank You to GoPlzGo For This Useful Post:
JonniMR (04-03-2017)
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Man, you summed it up perfectly! The 392 burble when I let off the gas alone makes me all giddy. And I absolutely agree it is very subdued while cruising normally, but that cold start and WOT is just intoxicating.

GoPlzGo, did you have a chance to hear the cat-back version of the Type-S? In cat-back configuration, I really wonder how different they are from one another?
GoPlzGo likes this.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:07 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

nah, not in person, I actually came close to getting the GT Haus ROAR..muahahah
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 03:28 AM

I had one on my 2016 for 2 weeks. I loved the way it sounded at start up and around town. But when my right foot was planted to the floor, it was a deal breaker for me. I went to an AFE, and frankly I wish it was louder around town, but at WOT it's plenty loud enough for me...
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 05:24 AM
The ModMan

Thanked 1,047 Times in 845 Posts
Garage
To answer your question, no! Keep the ATAK. Don't you dare go with the S. The S is for old guys wearing red loofers and yellow khaki jeans. Haven't heard the S in person but I bet it sounds very stockish from what I heard over my crappy speakers and intraweb. I am the ATAK fanboy on these forums by the way. So every thing I say is heavily biased. Had it on the Jeep for over 2 years and it gets a tad louder. But nothing crazy, so don't worry. I am also a "professional"(George will approve), in the medical branche but could really give a shit what clients think, a guys got to have some fun right. And for the neighbors, they just know when I got out of the wrong side of the bed. WOT morning! By the way my neighbors love me!
The Following User Says Thank You to 5000XD For This Useful Post:
Passmg2 (04-04-2017)
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:22 AM

This is actually a helpful thread as I am curious about conference calls with the exhaust. I don't roll with clients much, 1-2 times a year, but I do take important calls... would be interested in hearing your feedback on that after you drive a bit.

2016 White Night
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:28 AM
The ModMan

Thanked 1,047 Times in 845 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy99 View Post
This is actually a helpful thread as I am curious about conference calls with the exhaust. I don't roll with clients much, 1-2 times a year, but I do take important calls... would be interested in hearing your feedback on that after you drive a bit.
Hahahaha, come on man the Jeep doesn't become a methanol funny car with the ATAK! I have no problems using the phone while driving mine.
Passmg2 and GoPlzGo like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to 5000XD For This Useful Post:
Anarchy99 (04-04-2017)
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:44 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote:
I have never had anyone tell me I have too much background noise when I am on con calls, always handsfree speaker, but also don't know how it really sounds and if my car sounds like chit and they are just putting up with it...guess is it sounds at least ok but not because of the ATAK....my 14 Summit 5.7l (Corsa cat-back) sucked bad on background handsfree noise since non of the JGC's have very good sound proofing but I know for a fact the 15 SRT is far better on that point due to acoustic glass and ANC...

Regarding the ATAK cat-back effects on ambient noise....In S you get the "good" noise since the cargo bay transmits every exhaust note so even in cruise you have some background exhaust noise. However, in D/Eco she's 99% as quiet as OEM with the only exceptions are temporary slight drone during MDS transitions that would likely come thru as ambient noise vibrations but only if you are lugging along at 35ish/55-65ish....it goes away once ANC catches it but usually traffic/conditions/slight grade changes cause MDS to go in and out, therefore, the drone is in and out....it's not bad and should not be an issue if on earbuds/earpiece, just if using car handsfree mics....FWIW, IMHO, SMH, our Bluetooth seems "noisy" and/or the handsfree mics suck more than others....just not impressed with my 14 Summit (partial acoustic glass/ no ANC) nor my 15 SRT (full acoustic glass and ANC) handsfree sound qualities....

net, net...I don't think the ATAK will cause probs on con calls just be in D/Eco especially if using car handsfree...it's just a somewhat noisy vehicle, which is a good thing of course!
5000XD and cmdwolf like this.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5000XD View Post
Hahahaha, come on man the Jeep doesn't become a methanol funny car with the ATAK! I have no problems using the phone while driving mine.
Inside the cabin you'd have no idea how loud it actually is. Driving into work this morning, windows down roof open, I actually wanted to hear it more.

Now the cold start is a hell of a bark! Even my boss asked about it (with a huge smile on his face). Couple days on, and I have had lots of thumbs up and positive comments, though I haven't talked to my neighbors yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode