Borla S Catback review - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Borla S Catback review

Hey guys . Finally got it installed on Friday so thought i would tell you my experience so far with it .

My Jeep is a 16 SRT and i bought this exhaust slightly used ( about 5000 km in it )

First off i am about as OCD as they come .That being said i had a really good exhaust shop do the install . I was adamant about having the tips fit snug and flush ( sorry bout the pics the car is filthy as its Calgary ) . The shop said it was a bit of a pain to get them perfect but they pulled it off .

Now for the sound . It sounds amazing . It isn't raspy at all and can report 0 drone . Driving softly is quiet and not annoying . Start to get on it and and it really comes alive. Probably one of the best sounds vehicles ive owned ! I would say regular driving maybe 10-20 % louder . Under heavy acceleration about 50 %
Its crazy how much more fun it is to drive .

Now for the OCD side of things . These are not deal breakers but thought i would mention so theres no surprises for anyone .

Cold Start / Here in Calgary it gets really cold. Over the weekend it was about -20 c . So like most cars in the cold they are louder on start up . With this Borla the cold start is at least 50 % louder . It sounds really cool but it is loud . I have a detached garage and can here it the moment it starts . After a couple minutes of warming the idle drops and it quiets down a lot .

MDS/ The MDS is annoying right out of the box . The first day of owning a SRT i noticed it right away . The slight boomy sound of the switchover is annoying but i live with it as i like the mileage i get on the highway . Because everything is louder with the Borla so is this . The switch over is more pronounced and the odd time if your in a super low rpm with MDS active under load its a very low sound . This is pretty normal when dogging it in such a low rpm . My challenger had a Magnaflow on it and on highway in 6th it would do the same but louder .

Overall i would say the Borla type S is amazing . It makes me want to drive . The sound is perfect and adds alot of new personalty to the Jeep . The Cold Start thing is pretty Normal . I had a Corsa on my Denali and it was too quiet . But at cold start it sounded much louder . As for the MDS . Its annoying stock and annoying with the exhaust . Anyone looking for a really loud exhaust this is not the exhaust for you . Anyone wanting a really quiet exhaust this is not for you . This is a moderate catback that sounds great . People looking for less then this should probably stick with Stock . For me this was exactly what i was looking for .

P.S
Anyone in Calgary wanting great Exhaust work see Jody at Minute muffler on 32ed ave . The did a perfect job and i couldn't be happier .
Attached Thumbnails
borla.jpg   exhaust 2.jpg   exhaust 3.jpg  
5000XD and PBGas like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laqualo For This Useful Post:
Kongamonga (03-13-2017), PBGas (03-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:54 AM

Looks great!!!

I went the Atak route myself and glossed the the tips black. Haven't had time to install it, but hopefully in the next couple weeks.

2016 SRT Night
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 12:02 PM
Snail On Board

Garage
That looks really nice!!! Great job on the coating and the installation!!!

-Silver 2010 Jeep GC SRT8: BT Catch Can & Underhood Accessories__T-Stat 180__BWoody 4" CAI__Borla S__Shorty Antenna__Complete LED Interior + 5000K HID Xtreme Fog Lights by Xenon Depot__Taillight Solutions Rear Fog Conversion__Tuned by Jerseyboy__Headlights By Viking 757__B-Woody SwaybarLinks__QA1 Shocks__Demon Performance Turbo Kit__Autometer Cobalt AFR Guage__Vredestein Vorti 315/275__PML Polished Diff Cover__R1 Premium Mopar Engraved Rotors__B-Woody Panhard Bar__Stage 6 2-Step__Canton Overflow Tank__Stage II Valve Body & PTCM__Rear Wavetrac-

-Triple Black 1966 Corvette Convertible-

-2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland High Altitude-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the review and install looks really good. Some of the borla installs I've seen look terrible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:05 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Thanked 1,028 Times in 695 Posts
Great fitment. 👌 we should start a picture thread showing detailed instructions on how exhaust should look. Clearly 40% have absolutely no clue

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

2014 SRT - Forged Internals, Supercharged,Headers, 22" Rims, Borla S exhaust.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 11:56 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Congrats on the new sound. My Atak was an easy install, but did need 2 spots welded. Seemed a little overpriced considering that.

Took 1000 miles or so for break in.......either that or I have some hearing loss from it.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:57 AM
The ModMan

Thanked 1,047 Times in 845 Posts
Garage
Well, it should not be a secret that Borla f-ed up numerous wk2 exhausts in the early days, reason why so many people had problems installing these, mostly aligning them. I am one of the idiots who got one early on and had to buy a new one just because I loved the sound. The second exhaust I had on the Jeep in under 10 minutes.

Looks great! Also happy you are enjoying it.
NachoSRT likes this.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 07:33 PM

Thanks for posting your thoughts and pics. I'm picking up my new 2017 tomorrow and was considering an exhaust but probably will just leave it as is for a while.
NachoSRT likes this.

2017 JCGSRT - Granite Crystal
2006 JGCSRT8 (sold!)
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

Update ,

After spending more time with it i have to say the MDS is driving me a little nuts . Every other aspect of the exhaust is great . Just the MDS . Im on the highway 80% of my driving so using it is very usfull for mileage . But anything around 120 km the mds drones. The switchover has got louder and can kinda startle you .

IM thinking installing the factory suitcase mid muffler replacing the borla x pipe would remedy this . I figure that suitcase muffler is there for this reason . I know the system will be quieter overall but hoping this combo still has more growl then stock . I will still be using the Borla cat back rear section maited to the suitcase muffler .

If anyone can weigh in on this it would be much appreciated .
J-Cooz likes this.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:14 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

I'm 80% hwy also with a Borla Atak. It's a catch 22: drone = slightly better mpg. Honestly, just put the shifter in S and be done with it. With my SC in and MDS gone, my avg MPG has gone down ~15%. Adds up with all of the hwy driving.

Another thought...if you're hearing drone, you're driving slowwwwww.

Last edited by NachoSRT; 04-11-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode