Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Mopar CAI Fitment Confirmed for 2017's

15K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  pnut 
#1 ·
I just spoke with Steve White Motors to confirm fitment of the Mopar CAI, part #77070054, on the 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT. They have confirmed with Chrysler that it does fit, and that is does not affect the factory warranty since it is a Mopar part.

They also advised me heavily against any oiled filter, as it always carries the possibility of affecting the IAT sensor. The Mopar CAI uses a dry filter and retains use of the OEM intake tube. The real benefit of this is that the OEM tube was designed to keep out as much heat as possible, being made of rubber. Gains are minimum with any intake. It's mostly for a little added sound and better under-hood aesthetics. I included some pictures of it below.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
UPDATE...installed today....one thing is different on the 2017. The spot for the hex bolt to screw in was moved on the 16-17's. You just can't put the one supplied bolt in. It's in there really solid without it, so I am not worried. It seems that the 2017's also don't come with the rubber seal that directs air into the newly opened inlet. It is part # 68102338AB. I am going to pick one up locally tomorrow and add it on, as everything is there for it to fit...they just don't include it on the 17's...unless they forgot to put on on mine LOL. I'll post some pictures when I get the Jeep back tomorrow from my detailer. I am having CQuartz Finest paint protection put on, as well as Suntek clear protective film on the front bumper and along the entire rocker panels, mirrors, and door sills.

FYI, the Mopar CAI retains use of the air inlet that was under the airbox. You don't touch that and it seals using the OEM rubber grommets. There are two ways air gets in now...through the inlet opened up just inside the hood, and from the existing airbox inlet underneath. The heat shield is also VERY sturdy and solid...not a cheap plastic feel.

Steve

#4 · (Edited)
Below are pictures of the Mopar intake, and the installed pictures on my 2017 WK2. You can see that on the 17's they moved that bracket on the right where the rubber grommet is. It's still in there really tight and it's a very well made CAI. It sounds the same as stock when you're just driving around town, but when you stomp on it, everything is deeper and it sounds great. The Jeep runs just as smooth as before too. Overall, I am happy that I tried this on the 2017 model. I had to purchase that small styrofoam piece that directs air into the intake...I think it was on earlier models up to 2015. I picked it up from my local Mopar warehouse for $8. It fit as if it was supposed to be there (maybe it was LOL). The part # for it is in my third post. Cool air can now get to the intake from below (keeps OEM lower air duct) and from the new opening in front.

Attachments

#11 ·
Also, another note about water being a possible issue: The heat extractor on the hood, when the hood is closed, is over the wiper fluid reservoir. The Mopar intake has a shield just to the right of the wiper fluid reservoir, so I would not be worried at all about water getting to the filter.

#12 ·
I just got back to the truck now. The seal was installed. Oh well now I'll have an extra. It was only $5.

#14 ·
Installed mine today. No bracket for the hex bolt, as you said, but see no need, it's tight enough. Had the mopar cai on my 2008. This one I like better. No aluminum tube to heat up and installed in 10 minutes. Makes a nice sound too.

Reactions: GOINGSOLO2
#18 ·
You can find them for a little over $300. Well worth it in my opinion. Its a great look...like it was meant to be there. It does not look like an after thought. Plus, no issues with a dealer denying to work on the car because of something aftermarket. They can't void the warranty, but they can get around that by simply refusing to work on the vehicle. Been there, done that.

#22 ·
I just looked it up again and the prices went way up!! I paid under $400 for it..I think it was like $379...and it was cheaper a few months earlier. I guess now that they have less units left, they are raising the price. I would never pay $549 for it. This is the ugly part of the supply and demand concept sadly.

#28 ·
Spoke to a few ebay vendors and dealerships and no one can really explain why the prices nearly doubled for a filter and shroud. Just BS lines like... "FCA raised the prices so we must pass on the increases" and "our prices are competitive, blah blah blah"

So who knows what the really happened, but whatever the case this is now a $500+ filter and shroud that really does not even fit 14+ because SRT is stamped on the side.

Go f**k FCA :nofu:

#29 · (Edited)
Is the filter placement right below the heat extractor vent? Does it look like water can drip on it if parked in rain?

Ha, I somehow missed the water comment on page 2! Still seems shady that the open filter is so close to the vent. Although it is a mopar part I keep thinking what if the water doesn't drop straight down? Like when it had been raining and you drive off... anyhow just thought the shroud would have a top at an angle shredding the water away from filter.

#31 ·
Because of the car moving, very little water gets in there to begin with. It's not near the filter as well, so I don't see any way that water can get to that filter except if you blow in water with a hose from an angle actually trying to hit the filter.

#33 ·
I paid $380 just a few weeks ago. Must be a supply thing. As soon as they make more and they get into dealer inventory the price will come back down below $400.

#36 ·
Just installed this on my '17. Install was exactly as the OP described. It went smooth and the bolt was not needed.

I went with this CAI because I live in Cali, and this is the only one I could find that is CARB approved. Most companies won't even ship to CA these days. My dealership threw it in for free as an incentive. Their list price was $466.

My only complaint with this CAI is that the box and filter are one piece. When it comes time to clean it, you have to pull out the whole box! I'm going to see if I can find a pre-filter jacket that fits...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.