Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

intake and headers with stock exhaust?

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  catmanmoo 
#1 ·
Looking at sticking with the stock exhaust due to the fact that so many have had so many issues with back pressure and loss of power etc.

Has anyone run a CAI and headers with high flow cats on a WK2 2015 with results? I just don't want a loss in power, but better sound without waking the neighbors. Even thought about trying that and removing the resonators too at the same time. Seems like AFE makes a good CAI and Headers with the high flow cats.

Can I run this without a tune or would that help even more?

I found one other member here who has dyno'd with results on this.

Thanks in advance.

#7 · (Edited)
^^^ I have complete Kooks exhaust - 1.875" headers, green cats and 3" exhaust and it is loud. I added resonators and still fairly loud. I would remove the resonators (I did before and liked it) and straight pipe them or remove the suitcase and replace with an x pipe. Save money. Unless you have 550awhp or more or whatever you will not see any performance improvement. Low end torque loss comes from loss of exhaust gas velocity from larger header primaries and exhaust pipe and has nothing to do with back pressure. SRT designs the daylights out of the factory headers and 2.75" exhaust. I am curious what headers and stock exhaust sounds like but z28plus said it wouldn't bolt up to the Kooks headers. IMO, CAIs will not gain hp either but go for it if it's about the sound.

#8 ·
I'm running the AFE headers & their CAI with great results & I love the sound, it's not to loud but when people come up & listen to it they know somethings different & as you know when you romp on it the sound & performance is definitely there, I have 25k miles with this set up with no tune & no issues or MIL light & I'm running an unlocked ECU for the sole purpose to adjust the fans for my 180 Tstat, a good tune will definitely gain you some performance. It might have been me who posted dyno results if not then somewhere on the site I posted before & after dyno graphs.

#10 ·
Mine isn't actually as loud as I thought it would be. Love the sound. The kooks wouldn't mount up direct without creating a custom flange to the stock exhaust. I went ahead and did a maganflow cat back instead of spending more on custom work to get it to mount to the stock exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I have Stainless Works headers w/ high-flow cats and CAI. Needed a tune to keep CEL off and remove MDS to take away drone. I have the HP Tuners tune. Sounds nice but I am researching exhausts to add some more noise. I can tell a difference on cold start from a stock jeep but otherwise its not too loud or noticeable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.