Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Crankcase Breather?

8K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Rabbit 
#1 ·
Anybody use a passive crankcase breather with their supercharger application? Like the Metco kind?

Wondering if it could cause a significant vacuum leak and compromise a sealed PCV system?

#4 ·
I've got a CFM Performance breather on my set up. I can really hear my engine breathing through this thing while running.

Some guys run a small K&N filter on the neck of the oil fill instead of this. Some guys run a small filter on their Catch Can. It's all about preference.

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
For N/A its detrimental. You want some crankcase vacuum. In a boosted set up you cannot rely upon intake manifold vacuum to supply the required vacuum to scavenge the increased crank case pressure. Thus the simple answer is vent to atmosphere. A real racing set up one would use a mechanical vacuum pump to set the proper crank case vacuum.

If you notice the line next to the oil fill goes to your intake piping. This accomplishes the same thing as those breather caps and then some.

http://nutterracingengines.com/racing_oil_pumps/crankcase_vacuum_facts.html

#18 ·
What are you planning on using for the 2 catch's? I was looking on Arrington's website.

Also not sure how to apply that stage 4 with my current setup...add some ducting to separate the blower and intake? View attachment 191690

company called racetronix makes a dual catch can setup on 1 bracket. my procharger intake has a 90 degree elbow on it.

Reactions: NachoSRT
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.