Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

2015 Red Vapor - Motor Forging and Supercharging PROJECT

12K views 61 replies 17 participants last post by  Sillyhp 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

That is going to be an ongoing thread on the motor forging and supercharging + PFM Project that I'm starting today.

Goals:
- Supercharging 600+ whp
- Reliability with 600+ whp
- Daily driven car with Stock feel.
- PFM (Power folding mirrors) integrated to the car as OEM.

First I would like to say that I've been looking for the right shop\garage for a long time, I've called around to 13 different shops nationwide gathering tons of information from small and big shops.
I came across with a lot of opinions of what and how to do things in order the get the results I asked for.
In regarding to the Motor and SC I just couldn't get the right answers I kept getting general generic answers which I don't like.
In regarding to the PFM everyone (including few local and remote dealerships) told me it is IMPOSSIBLE to do.

My last call was to EMP - Extreme Mopar Performance in NY (Extreme Muscle Performance),
First call, straight answers to all my questions, Answer for every question right and on the spot, Very honest and up front person.
Which SC to go with for my needs how and what to forge, how much it will cost, what's necessary and what's not, I also asked him about the PFM he said it should not be a problem and it was already done on another GC SRT, He know all the people that have relation to any Chrysler Dodge Jeep needs, all sources to Mopar parts and also Joe from Zauto that also live and work close by.

Considering all the factors of my needs I decided to go with Mike from EMP even tough I'm from CA, I shipped the car to NY, it arrived yesterday early in the morning.

All Forging parts ordered + Whipple kit.
TaZar ordered.
Waiting for a list of parts that need to ordered for the PFM.

To be continued...

Feb-8 Update:

Motor forging parts list and cost:

MAHLE Forged Pistons
Molnar Rods
Calico Coated Bearings
Performance Camshaft
Hellcat Lifters
ARP Head Studs
ARP Main Studs
Forged Pushrods
Head Gaskets
Fresh Timing Set
Fluids/Filter
ATI Super Damper Harmonic Damper\Balancer

Parts cost: ~$5000

------------------

PFM upgrade parts list and cost:

5VB44 GW7AB - RIGHT MIRROR (The part number is for a PW7 - Bright White paint mirrors)*
5VB45 GW7AB - LEFT MIRROR (The part number is for a PW7 - Bright White paint mirrors)*

68245 458AB - RIGHT DOOR MODULE
68245 459AB - LEFT DOOR MODULE
68184 803AB - LEFT FRONT DOOR SWITCH

Parts cost: ~$1400

*If someone need the exact part number for a different paint code please send me the VIN and I'll check for you.

------------------

Feb-9 Update:

After some more research, We (Me and Mike from EMP) decided to trow in Long tube Headers to the project.

Some reasons for the decision:
Engine Efficiency.
Performance.
Sound.
Recommended on Boost \ Cam applications.
Great deal trough Mike.

ARH 1-7/8" - 3" Long tube Headers with High Flow CAT.
1 7/8 primary tubing 3 inch collectors
Equal length runners
$1600

------------------

Feb-17 Update:

Some parts arrived, Still waiting for the rest.

------------------

Mar-9 Update:

ARH Long Tube Headers 1-7/8" x 3" with High-Flow CATs

Went to go with High-Flow CATs, Want to keep the noise and smell closer to stock.
And again, Great great deal I got on those headers Thanks to Mike.

Still waiting for the Whipple kit, I placed the order on Feb-5 It's been 5 months already, Patience is the key : )

------------------

Mar-26 Update:

After almost 2 months, The Whipple kit finally arrived! 0:)
The car is in the shop.

------------------

Mar-27 Update:

Mike contacting me in regards the Fuel system, Some Previous Jeep with similar setups reporting lean mixture conditions, Apparently, The Whipple supplied MSD Boost A Pump makes the stock fuel pump weaker over time that causes low pressure in the rails what than causes to a lean mixture conditions, Decided to order new Dual pump fuel system from "Fore Innovations", Great but not cheap solution ~$2,000, But it totally worth it for the long run and GREAT deal on the kit trough Mike.

[6:35 AM, 4/12/2017] Michael Galiano EMP: Well we changed to dual pump on the red jeep same one we ordered for yours
[6:35 AM, 4/12/2017]*Michael Galiano EMP:*2.75 pulley like the one on the black jeep that made 747
[6:35 AM, 4/12/2017]*Michael Galiano EMP:*We made 826 yesterday
[6:35 AM, 4/12/2017]*Michael Galiano EMP:*Just getting enough fuel
[6:36 AM, 4/12/2017]*Michael Galiano EMP:*Meaning just by making the fuel system perfect we picked up a solid 80 rwhp
[6:36 AM, 4/12/2017]*Michael Galiano EMP:*Same 15psi

Fore Innovations L2 Dual Pump Fuel System.
$1720 Shipped.

------------------

Mar-30 Update:

The work has started, Lets get ready to Rumble : )

------------------

Apr-03 Update:

Engine out.
Crank, rods and heads behind loaded up heading to machine shop.

------------------

Apr-07 Update:

Motor build up and going back to the car.

------------------

Apr-12 Update:

Bolting and Supercharging... : )

------------------

Apr-14 Update:

PCM.
Gates HD Heavy Duty Green belt.

Starting to break in the motor : )

------------------

May-25 Update:

After a VERY long wait, The ARH cat-back arrived.
Now going back (again) to the Dyno.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you.
It's not that any of the other places I'v spoken to not good enough it is just sounded too generic, big places that work almost on any American car and probably do it right. I was looking for someone that HEMI's are his passion. : )
Mike is a and man shop, it has the pros and cons but for needs it feels the right place.

"Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

#4 ·
woow !!

Good for you man , gotta do whats comfortable for you ! Me personally prolly would've choose someone local just in case there where to be an issue, i could drive my truck rt thru the front window of his shop impailing him and a few off his staff but.. thats just me!!

Rest assured i believe your in good hands instrgam guy's zaiman and tnt6927 have both in the last few mo's done major build's w emperf and have been doing nothing but raving and posting the balls out've their cars which i'm sure your aware of!

zaiman as per his page is claim'd at makin upwards of 800+hp and tnt's srt is claim'd at 900+ both fully built the faaaack out zaiman at like 9-10 lbs ona whipple and tnt i believe on a whipple as well at like some crazzy 11-12-13 lbs !!

for anyone who isnt familiar w these guys def ck em out !

#56 ·
First off, awesome build!

As to the instagram guys, I can't help but think a lot of them are full of shit. They post 500 pics and videos a day, talk about horsepower and dyno pulls, but none of them ever visit the track or show any verified times. When someone asks them, they either ignore the question or block them. Both whipple and Ripp guys never want to show their track times. This is only addressing the instagram guys. There are plenty of whipple and Ripp guys here who post times. It just makes me suspicious as I remember a very credible source saying a lot of these builds dyno great but put down terrible times if you correlate it with their HP numbers.

I think the real test will be when a Trackhawk lines up against an aftermarket Jeep. I'm very curious to see what would happen in a trackhawk verses the 800+hp build. If I had to bet, I'd say they'll be dead even or the trackhawk may win.

Rest assured i believe your in good hands instrgam guy's zaiman and tnt6927 have both in the last few mo's done major build's w emperf and have been doing nothing but raving and posting the balls out've their cars which i'm sure your aware of!

zaiman as per his page is claim'd at makin upwards of 800+hp and tnt's srt is claim'd at 900+ both fully built the faaaack out zaiman at like 9-10 lbs ona whipple and tnt i believe on a whipple as well at like some crazzy 11-12-13 lbs !!

for anyone who isnt familiar w these guys def ck em out !

#9 ·
Mar-9 Update:

ARH Long Tube Headers 1-7/8" x 3" with High-Flow CATs

Went to go with High-Flow CATs, Want to keep the noise and smell closer to stock.
And again, Great great deal I got on those headers Thanks to Mike.

Still waiting for the Whipple kit, I placed the order on Feb-5 It's been 5 months already, Patience : ).

#13 ·
Nice build.
This might have been asked, how much boost you planning on running. Or are you leaving that up to the shop?
Leave it to the shop

[5:25 PM, 2/14/2017] Michael Galiano EMP: Well the Whipple build is with a cam and headers and ported heads as well
[5:25 PM, 2/14/2017]*Michael Galiano EMP:*So gains come from there as well
[5:25 PM, 2/14/2017]*Michael Galiano EMP:*Boost will be about 12-13

#18 ·
Mar-26 Update:

After almost 2 months, The Whipple kit finally arrived! 0:)
The car is in the shop.

------------------

Mar-27 Update:
Mike contacting me in regards the Fuel system, Some Previous Jeep with similar setups reporting lean mixture conditions, Apparently, The Whipple supplied MSD Boost A Pump makes the stock fuel pump weaker over time that causes low pressure in the rails what than causes to a lean mixture conditions, Decided to order new Dual pump fuel system from "Fore Innovations", Great but not cheap solution ~$2,000, But it totally worth it for the long run and GREAT deal on the kit trough Mike.

Fore Innovations L2 Dual Pump Fuel System.
$1720 Shipped.

Attachments

Reactions: 5000XD
#30 ·
I asked Mike about his issue, he responded:
"not an issue I've seen, Sometimes on the cars the fuel level sender has to be wired in perfectly otherwise it's a little funky"

I will test this issue when we will get to this part of the upgrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.