392/426/440 N/A SC decisions New guy needs help - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK2 SRT8 Engine Performance/Superchargers/Turbos/Nitrous Discuss engine performance enhancing modifications, superchargers & turbo applications specific to the WK2 SRT8 here.

62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

392/426/440 N/A SC decisions New guy needs help

Hello guys
First post and trying to get a better handle on what route is best for me...
I'm picking up a 2014 GC SRT soon and I'm trying to decide what route is for me.
This truck will be my daily driver for work and family, about 15k miles per year.
Currently drive a Ford Explorer sport TT tuned by LMS with all the good stuff (not built or meth) pushing 345 AWHP.
It's tons of fun but I'm want something a little smaller and more power.
This won't be a D*ck measuring contest for me.(I have a crazy boosted custom motorcycle for that) But I want a bad ass ride and I would like something a little different without being a maintanice nightmare.

Again, I'm not knowledgeable about the mechanics so explain any tech advice.. I just love performance... most of my performance I xoerience was with motorcycles, just getting into car stuff now.. and I want to learn what I'm doing so, I'm not just a checkbook dick head

Sooooo

(Disclaimer*** my "wants" are not from experience, just guesses, not from experience, of what I think I want)

First idea was 650 WHP, I think 1000HP would be wasted with me most of the time..
Not a track guy except maybe for fun once..

My first thought was a badass 440 stroker? I like he idea of a NA motor as it is not as popular as PC or SC?
Can I get a NA 440 to 650WHP safely with street manners?

What are pros/cons?? I think one con is if it's high comp, it can't be boosted, and I think I could be happy with that?

Same question with a 426?

Or what would a forged 392 with whipple get me?

My thought is if I build a monster 440 to NEVER be supercharged... then what compression do I run and what WHP could I expect and what would the street manners be like.

If the 440 is possible to get over 600WHP and have good manners and not a maintainance trap I think this is the right way for me...

Thanks in advance

Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 01:09 AM

I think a big loud 11 to 1 comp motor is not as fun because you run out of room to grow. Unless u spray, but not to many people wanna be filling bottles and going that route all the time. I think the fastest route and most enjoyable would be a forged 392 or 419 or 427 whatever u want that doesnt really matter and boost it. I kno you say ull be fine at 600 ish hp but if your like most gear heads you will want more. Its a whole lot easier changing the head unit of your blower or changing the pulley then it is to drop compression. Forge your motor put a blower on there and u got 600 hp without breaking a sweat. I also know people that build bad NA motors and then got bored and went the FI route and were surprised with how that power curve changes under boost.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sillyhp For This Useful Post:
Bigmoneycloser (01-29-2017)
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 05:39 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,798 Times in 1,199 Posts
Garage
I agree with Silly. The NA route will be an expensive one to get to the hp goals you want and beyond. I say go forged motor and throw some boost at it. Best thing is there are some great vendors on here that can help you get to your goals. I would start a conversation with Demon Performance and let them help you out. You can have a badass 10s NA motor but it will be $$$$$$ and probably some nitrous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Procharger F1a, Paramount Conquerer, Wavetrac, LED's, rear fogs activated, bwoody links, Borla S, Tooned, R1 cross drilled, slotted and cryo treated stoptechs and lowered on Eibachs sitting on FR 22"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New block waiting for some love
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jfra For This Useful Post:
Bigmoneycloser (01-29-2017)

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Ok let me pose a few specific questions and another statement.
Not ever going Nitrous. This car will be daily driven 15k-20k miles per year for work and family.
I have no plans to make this a 1000hp truck or track it. Not EVER..

I just want a badass bullet proof daily driver.

Here are the options I think I am considering based on what I have read...
Assume each will have proper supporting components like headers back exhaust, intake, possible fuel support. And I want to stay away from HP numbers that require me to upgrade Drivetrain parts.

1. At what HP #'s do you have to look at upgrading drivetrain parts for safety??

2. Forged 392 with whipple

3. 427 stroker with whipple

4. 440 stroker

So with options 2-4 what kind of HP/TQ numbers can I expect and what kind of ballpark costs?
Also what kind of street daily driving manners would each have?

Here is my UNEDUCATED take on my options... which is why I'm looking for experienced answers to these specific questions and not different options....

The 392 with whipple is the easiest road to go down and would get me 600+ pretty easy with room to grow HP with changes to fuel and such.....
Without disrespecting anyone, or myself this road seems most commonly traveled which makes it less appealing to me.... although this still could be the road I take...

The 426 with whipple I like th idea because it is different, but how much more is the expense of adding the 426 to the whipple, compared to just the forged 392?
Also what kind of #'s are we looking at here?
His also could have more power down the road with the same upgrades as above..

REMEMBER I DONT WANT TO GET TO THE AREA WHERE I NEED TO UPGRADE DRIVETRAIN...

The 440 NA... I love the idea because it is very different from what most do...
Assume this I'm never gonna want more..
What kind of #'s will this do with high compression? What kind of compression?
Assuming 12 is the comp #, what would the Hp #'s look like??
And how would the street manners be on a 440 NA running 12 compression??

I have searched the forum and haven't found these answers, so all the help is welcome for some me one who is trying to learn enough to make the best decision for himself..
And so far I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions... so I would rather more fact based answers based on experience and or past builds and such..

Sorry to be a pain in the ass guys, but the only way to learn and do it right is to ask all the dumb questions..
I think I got plenty.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 08:36 AM
DONE

Thanked 1,253 Times in 879 Posts
Too bad you couldn't swap a hellcat motor in there. It would be one of a kind for now. And just saw a2speed had them on sale for 10k for a long block.
Jfra likes this.

PWR/STAGE6/SHR/FTI/JerseyBoy tuning.....PB-10.31@131..1.51 60ft-10# full street trim
PB-10.01@141..1.53 60ft-18# race gas

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:38 AM
Thread Derailer

Thanked 1,239 Times in 861 Posts
We have 448 11:1 6.4 based stroker in a 16 R/T Ram tuned by JerseyBoy that runs like a dream and should run low 12s high 11s. Before JerseyBoy starting tuning it my business partner ran a 12.5 smoking a cigarette, reading the newspaper and doing a big burnout and it ran like crap with a 5.7 intake. Quite the sleeper regardless.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4100 (1).jpg  
mondo, Jfra, SRT8Ray and 1 others like this.

-MichiganMan-

Last edited by Passmg2; 01-30-2017 at 02:54 PM.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 09:50 AM
DONE

Thanked 1,253 Times in 879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passmg2 View Post
We have 448 11:1 6.4 based stroker in a 16 R/T Ram tuned by JerseyBoy that runs like a dream and should run high low 12s high 11s. Before JerseyBoy starting tuning it my business partner ran a 12.5 smoking a cigarette, reading the newspaper and doing a big burnout and it ran like crap with a 5.7 intake. Quite the sleeper regardless.
That would be a fun tire roaching ride right there George! I wish they would come out with the Ram Srt with the Hellcat motor
Jfra and Passmg2 like this.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:31 AM

Going to have to heavily mod a N/A 440 to get 650 rwhp out of it. I have a 6.4 based 426 in my 2013 Challenger. It pumps out 552 rwhp on a Mustang dyno....might be closer to 575 rwhp on a dyno jet...It has large cam and is just barely able to be a daily (which it isn't). Any more cam and it would not behave well on the street. A comparable 440 would have another 50 rwhp..

Your best bet as some have mentioned is to forge the 392 and whipple it...or better yet stroke it to a 426 and whipple.. 650+rwhp will be easy to obtain and the engine will behave like stock as far as normal driving goes..
Bigmoneycloser likes this.

Last edited by TNMOPAR; 01-29-2017 at 12:09 PM.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:48 AM

That truck is so sick! Listen man u wanna be different throw a turbo on that thing. But its hella expensive and u can acheive your goals with that whipple. The price from goin from forged 392 to 427 isnt really anything. Not to many guys running twin screw blowers out there. Like i said again i think u will like the street manners more then a NA motor. But like jfra said start a convo with skip at demon. Hell walk u down that road. It sounds like ur kinda wanting to validate ur own theory's. Either way NA or forged induction shell be fun. I would save urself the future expense and just throw some boost at it. I like the idea of going with a whipple. I was looking in to being first to throw a kenne bell on a wk2. But u gotta do some fab so the price would be more then getting a whipple kit.
Bigmoneycloser likes this.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 11:17 AM
Thread Derailer

Thanked 1,239 Times in 861 Posts
Viking has drove my 392 Jeep and it daily drives perfectly and probably able to use 750-800awhp before the 'nasty woman' tranny pulls timing and closes the throttle. I went with a stock sized motor because that's how SRT designed it and I ended up with a brand new block instead of a used one. Mine is 9.07:1 and what I lack on compression and cubic inches is made up with boost. It has billet mains and arp fasteners. I wish I had Joe's heads. Viking says there's a lot left in her. My mom could drive this thing. Same with the pick up. JerseyBoy gets all the credit for that. Not only does he get the most out of a vehicle sometimes we forget how nice he makes 'em drive... Tim gets credit for working with Joel on the tune too.
mondo, Rabbit, WA 2 FST 2 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Passmg2; 01-29-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode