Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Procharged and Forged 2014 Build

16K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  patrickmurray 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just picked up my 2014 from HHP in Smyrna, DE and wanted to share first impressions on the Procharger and forged engine build. Josh and the team were superb and gave great advice. I've read all of the stories online about blown up 6.4Ls (RIPP, Whipple, Procharger, whatever) even just running 6-8lbs of boost on stock internals, some guys are are OK, others blow up after a few months.

I decided to spend the extra coin to forge the motor which may be overkill for my intended daily driver but the wife approved it :) I researched the forged drop-in pistons and rods but the labor and parts cost to remove the engine and do that job wasn't too far from just doing the fully forged 392 short block with lower compression piston set up from HHP/BES. Josh recommended that given the stock compression is so high already at something like 10.5:1 (or 10.9:1, I can't recall). I can go larger on boost if I want down the road but of course the next limiter is likely the transmission, t-case and/or axles. I don't intend to track it or drag it given it's a daily driver with a loan on it but I suppose everyone says that right.

Specs:
2014 model year - daily driven to/from work, kids, etc.
Procharger D-1SC (upgrade from the standard P-1SC)
Diablo Trinity Tuner and Custom Dyno Tune by Josh at HHP
Set up for 91 octane (crappy gas be me, 93 not always available)
11 psi
Forged 392 HHP/BES Short Block with 9.5:1 compression pistons, stock cam and heads
ATI 5% super damper harmonic balancer
MDS-lifter delete kit
Stock 8 speed Transmission (hope to make this last given the cost of an SHR War Viking at ~$7k installed)
Dyno'd at 610 rwhp and 516 tq, very smooth curves thanks to Josh (so ~700 crank HP depending upon your assumed drivetrain loss)

First impressions (still on break in 500 mile so going somewhat easy) are near-stock driveability around town but clearly a beast if you get on the gas. A little twitchy in 1st gear but that's what I wanted and to be expected and the sound is fantastic even with the stock blowoff valve. Will let the tranny re-learn and change the oil in the motor and SC soon....then get more impressions on harder launches. No CEL codes or other funny behavior thanks to custom tune by Josh, very smooth curve. Looking forward to hitting it more after a few weeks and would expect to get high 3s to 60 but haven't tried that yet. Driving home in the rain last night, easily spun all 4 tires in 1st and 2nd gears until the TC kicked in. Wife will complain until she learns how to drive it :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats.... but we need pictures

Sounds like you did it right.... I know what you mean... the engine break in absolutely killed me as well not being able to boost.... :( Pays off in the end

#7 · (Edited)
Probably has base tune installed. Engine break in should be 1000 kms then should returned back to the shop for final tuning and WOT. Also advised that engines should not be running full synthetic for break as well.

#9 ·
By no way a professional engine builder in any way. These were just my instructions from my builder and what I have also read kn the net from my research. Maybe a true engine builder will speak up

#15 ·
Here's a few pics and the dyne chart…sorry they aren't great (phone). So far it has been fantastic and no problems at all….early days so will post up more as the miles go by with some real world experience.

Attachments

#19 ·
Hey guys, here's a few more observations on the Procharger kit for those looking at it.

-I went with the Tuner kit so Josh at HHP could do his magic on things like injectors, MAP sensor, custom tune, etc. and would absolutely recommend this route over the standard kit with base tune from PC. You will get it dialed in which is critical especially if you have stock internals, have a Trinity tuner to monitor/log going forward if you need to, etc.

-The PR base kit needs a small bit more engineering on clearances....the head unit is too close to/rubs the AC line that comes across the top of the engine bay from back to front so that needed to have a small piece of fuel hose wrapped around the AC line to protect it. Demon gets around this on their kit by selling you a new custom bent AC line to re-route that. Not a huge deal but could be improved upon by PC. Also, there is tight clearance directly below the head unit (no surprise in these Jeeps) with the brake lines and other things that need to be watched when the installer is doing his thing. Check it, because my installer didn't and we had a brake line that was too close.

-Drain line kit from Procharger: I would say to avoid it, even though it is convenient. Josh at HHP has had several customers come in to have the lines removed because they leaked....and mine leaked to from day 1, so by end of the 1st week I was back in the shop to have the line removed. Sure fluid changes are now a PITA because you can't get to the bottom of the head unit easily, which means no bottom draining but rather suction of the fluid out the top. I'll take that PITA over the leakage I had of the fluid which if not noticed for a while would destroy the head unit at some point. Some guys love the drain line but I've seen posts on various forums about leaks also with the gasket on the drain line where it installs into the head unit, and also the sharp edges that can exist down there where the braided drain line can get cut or scraped up. Save yourself the $50 and skip it.

Gas mileage impact from stock: don't ask but it went down considerably (which I don't care, I expected it), but that's made worse in my case by the lower compression motor, no MDS, and the fun of getting on the gas which is impossible to avoid now. :)

Overall, these things are small and the setup is perfect for my street use and daily driver. Will have to get some times at some point on 0-60, etc. to help verify the claims made by PC and the few youtubes etc. that are starting to pop up. Will also watch how the 8-speed is doing (temps look good but I'm a somewhat conservative driver most of the time and haven't tracked it yet)

-Very smooth power delivery across the RPM range, I suppose in part from the centrifugal design of the supercharger, but also a great tune by Josh

-Intake Air Temps around 10 degrees F above ambient air temp both in city traffic and highway traffic. I haven't had huge spikes in IATs and know that some guys have seen problems there. So far the standard intercooler is great in my setup and that's with summer temps in Philly so somewhat warm at around 80 degrees F. Will keep watching that. I know PC is now selling a larger IC but it's expensive if you do it after install as a whole unit upgrade.

-Air filter provided is the K&N oiled type, will change that maybe for a dry flow from AEM....tight fit that rubs the hood but no big deal there or could go to a 5 or 6" filter from the provided 7" long filter.

Will send other updates as I put on the miles and see how it behaves.

#20 ·
One other thing....install an oil catch can (I did the billet technologies version). I've seen some oil now in the catch can that wasn't there before, not a lot, and will monitor that every few weeks. Josh felt that the higher oil pressure from running boost is contributing to that but also true that these hemis are known for having some oil blow by.

#23 ·
Quick update after about 2,000 miles of daily driver use. Still running very smooth, huge amounts of power. When cold at startup the throttle is twitchy but it abates quickly. Auto, Sport, Snow/Tow mode on the dial selector work as before with no issues. No false indicator lights. BT oil catch can working for sure and had about 1.5" worth of oil in the cup after a month, so more than before but I've read that the SC install and resulting heavy right foot I now have can generate more blow by. Will watch that. In wet weather will easily spin all 4 tires in 1st and into 2nd until TC system tries to retard things. Ultimate sleeper suv for all but true car guys who know what to look for and hear the subtle whine. Tranny good so far but I haven't tracket yet and it's early days on longevity there anyhow.

#29 ·
Out of all the systems sold and installed we have not seen this issue.
If you have an image of these "recall" ABS lines that you speak of that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

The only clearance problem I have is the AC line which just slightly contacts the SC head unit.
We felt not changing an AC line helpped speed up the install, as well as less chance for leaks.
So just a slight "push" on the line, and it clears with ease... even larger F series headunits.

#27 ·
Sorry man, I didn't have that issue. The only clearance problem I have is the AC line which just slightly contacts the SC head unit. The kit from Demon reroutes the AC line for those that want that option. My ABS setup is stock. I would call HHP or Demon. They do a lot of these Jeeps and may have seen the issue and have a solution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.