Misfire on cylinder 8 - spark plugs no gap - Cherokee SRT8 Forum
WK2 SRT8 General Performance Discussion Discuss WK2 SRT8 general performance enhancing modifications here.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Misfire on cylinder 8 - spark plugs no gap

Ok - Here goes! So I got stuck behind someone who was driving a little slower then I liked. Tried to pass the guy and suddenly he wasn't having it. Needless to say I stomped on the gas and SHOULD HAVE blown his doors off. But that's not what happened my SRT let me down. Wound up with check engine light coming on for a misfire on cylinder 8. No problem right, just pop some new plugs in and its good to go. Except not so much. I'm not sure about the plug order on my jeep, but the two plugs on the driver side closest to the firewall had no gap left. They were smashed pretty good. Now my poor SRT has a new ticking/tapping sound from that cylinder. It still runs good hasn't slowed it down. Just doesn't sound right and I'm afraid to drive it. To make matters worse my warranty expired in Jan. Anyone have any ideas what it could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 01:11 PM
Contributing Member

Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,141 Posts
That would be cylinder #7. So you did already replaced those plugs with new ones?

Only good thing to come out of this would be a bigger and better motor.
Passmg2 likes this.

Maggie w/ 2.9 Pulley and 80lb injectors.
Kooks Headers
B&B Exhaust
PWR 224 Cam
Ported Heads
Meth Injection
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to PITTZ For This Useful Post:
Momisfast (03-07-2017)
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:17 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Thanked 1,802 Times in 1,202 Posts
Garage
Sounds like you may have some ring-land failure. Hopefully not but smashed spark plugs doesn't bode well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Procharger F1a, Paramount Conquerer, Wavetrac, LED's, rear fogs activated, bwoody links, Borla S, Tooned, R1 cross drilled, slotted and cryo treated stoptechs and lowered on Eibachs sitting on FR 22"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New block waiting for some love

The Following User Says Thank You to Jfra For This Useful Post:
Momisfast (03-07-2017)

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 02:28 PM
Thread Derailer

Thanked 1,244 Times in 866 Posts
You have ring failure. I lived that myself. Who knows how long it will run like that. I take it your Jeep isn't stock?
Poorboy likes this.

PB 10.998 @ 126.8
2015 Jeep GC SRT
The Following User Says Thank You to Passmg2 For This Useful Post:
Momisfast (03-07-2017)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Yep, replaced all the plugs. I don't have any major mods. Just the basics, catch can, Hennessey cold air induction, and diablo trinity tune. Wouldn't have thought trying to pass a guy on the highway would cause such an issue. These things are made to go fast, I'm a little disappointed.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 03:19 PM
Thread Derailer

Wow, how many miles on it? First one I've heard of let go that's basically stock, do you drive it hard? Sorry to hear, I know how much it sucked when I did it... although Pittz nailed it - here's a chance to do up the new motor.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Misfire on cylinder 8 - spark plugs no gap

It only has about 65,000 miles on it, nothing excessive. I've never taken it to the track or street raced with it (boring I know). It's my baby and I take it easy most of the time, but I do count on the power being there when I need it. Engine upgrade sounds fantastic and expensive. Finding a trust worthy mechanic who knows what they are doing is my next problem.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Oh and I did buy it preowned from a car dealer. So I'm sure it was used and abused.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 PM
Thread Derailer

How long have you had it? Any chance the previous owner had a blower on it and caused the damage, then put it back to stock and you inherited the problem? Like I said, I've never heard of a stock motor letting go and it only has 65,000 miles on it. Maybe some of the more experienced guys will jump in with their opinion but from what you're saying it shouldn't have let go. Signs that it was used and abused?

Last edited by Passmg2; 03-07-2017 at 07:29 PM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 07:37 PM

Thats what i thought previos blower on it. Or someone messing around with the fuel tables or timing or something. Ive never heard of this without some boost but I guess it could happen. Is it under warranty? And I think u should build her now. Just in case u wanna put a couple hair dryers on there! Sorry brotha good luck
Passmg2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode