Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Arrington blower ordered

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  WA 2 FST 2 
#1 ·
Just passed 500 miles on my new '15.

Got the base kit (6psi) Arrington blower setup ordered. Also going to install SW headers w/ hi-flow cat mid-pipe, but leaving the stock cat-back exhaust to keep noise at sane levels. Adding a catch-can too, but otherwise, everything else will remain stock.

Arrington Performance HEMI 6LB Supercharger Kit - shopHEMI.com

Hoping to get it in and installed over Thanksgiving. Will report back with dyno#s, and impressions once it is done. Not looking to break any power/speed records with this vehicle, so hopefully a safe and conservative tune will yield reliability, but still a nice boost in HP/TQ.

#5 ·
Well, the headers still haven't come in, and Arrington has not sent out my new PCM yet. I just hope I don't screw it up and ruin a great vehicle. I just got back from a 500 mile trip, and I am so impressed with this Jeep. Now that the weather has cooled down, I've done a few more 0-60 runs, with a best of 4.2 bone stock. This thing is a great 0-80mph vehicle, the ride is great, steering response and handling are incredible for a vehicle this size... the engineering is spot on.

Hoping for install first week of December now.

#9 ·
My hope is that (like other vehicles I own/have owned with headers and stock mufflers) it will be louder at full throttle, but very stock-like under normal driving/idle.

#13 ·
Hopefully tomorrow is the day I bring her home! I've got a very busy day, as my Wednesdays usually are, so there won't be any real play time. (drive home will be with stock intake manifold, misc parts and OEM exhaust in the back) Then it turns extremely cold Thurs and Fri here in N. Texas, so it may be a few days before I get to open it up.

The shop doing the install does not have AWD capability on their dyno, so I will not have #s til I take the time to get to a shop that has an AWD dyno... and as long as the thing runs well, I really don't care. I've been around since the first Dynojets became popular among hot-rod shops... what is important is street/track performance.

I've got some baseline 0-60 times, so I should be able to measure that.

Reactions: mikew2069
#14 · (Edited)
Just got the Jeep home. Impressions on 25 mile hwy/city driving... at idle/part-throttle/cruise, it runs and sounds stock. Drivability is excellent...OEM-like. Cannot tell there are headers on the car. Good for some (me), but bad for others who might want noise. I went with Stainless Works headers + catted mid-pipes, and left the stock OEM mufflers/resonators. It may be a little louder, but not noticeable to someone who thinks the vehicle is stock.

Unloaded the OEM parts and took it for a more spirited spin. Did two 0-60 launches on the same road where I have previously tested at 4.3 seconds in 55^F air. Today the air temp is about the same, didn't check baro pressure, but it is a fair comparison based on my experience. 0-60 in 3.8 seconds now. I think that is pretty respectable. Not barnstorming, but should be good for high-11s in the 1/4. I can tell that the Arrington tune is very conservative as far as TM on upshifts. Even in S mode with the trans, it does not hit quite as hard as OEM. It's not horrible, but having some experience with auto trans performance vehicles, I can tell it is there. Maybe that is something I can control with the Diablosport Trinity tuner... but I will need some input from Arrington. There's a reason they have it this way, and I really have no interest in scattering my transmission with 1300 miles on the clock. :)

As far as exhaust note at WOT, it is a little louder than stock, but really didn't change the note/tone of the exhaust at all that I can tell. Granted, I've only owned the truck for 2 months and put 1300 miles on it, so I'm not going to be as dialed into the vehicle as someone who has had their vehicle longer. But there is no drone at cruise at any rpm that I can perceive.

Now, I'm just going to enjoy it.

Attachments

#15 ·
Awesome, congrats! I'm a little bummed that you didn't notice a little increase in volume and/or a little change in the tone from the headers but oh well, at least it lets her breathe a little better and isn't droning. Pay attention when you cold start in the morning and see if you can hear anything. Have fun!

#16 ·
It is a little louder. I've driven it some more this afternoon and can tell a difference. Start up is definitely a notch louder. But for the untrained ear, they would not think it has an aftermarket exhaust. At full throttle it sounds very good. But I thought it sounded good bone stock as well.

#20 ·
I wholeheartedly concur. The packaging is OEM-like. Looks right at home under the hood with it all buttoned up. I am sure an aftermarket AFE, or the like, air box would work fine and probably help performance a little too by allowing more air into the blower. That may be something I try down the road.

#22 ·
Interesting that your kit has a few things that are placed differently than mine (tensioner pulleys, intercooler reservoir tank are two things I can see). But regardless, the blower is the same. I don't have the tuning experience or capability you do, so I will always be behind the curve, and will have to be happy living there. The shop that did my install is extremely experienced with GM offerings, and they did a top-notch job on the install of the kit. However, they used the canned Arrington tune and didn't waver from that. I also needed the vehicle back to make some Christmas deliveries, so that cut any potential tuning time short. Now that the PCM is unlocked, I'm wondering if I can use HPTuners vs. the DS Trinity tuner that comes with the kit. ??? Also really would have to find a tuner that has AWD dyno capabilities.

#23 ·
The HP Tuner is more for someone that knows how and/or understands the concepts of tuning. You will be better off staying with the Trinity as it is just as capable as the HP...maybe more so depending on who you talk to...My 2013 Challenger 426 stroker puts down 552 HP at the wheels...no supercharger just all motor...It is tuned with the Trinity and I dont know of anything more I need as far as a tuner..car runs low 11s and gets 22mpg highway...

If you want to further tune you can do email tunes with an experienced tuner. You never want to use someone that is great at tuning Fords and GM for tuning but has little or no experience with Mopars. A Mopar is a different animal. You want an experienced Mopar tuner. The tune can be done using the data logging feature of the Trinity. No dyno needed.

One of the best and most experienced Mopar tuners is AJ Berge aka Hemituner. He actually was the head tuner for Arrington a few years back before he went on his own. He has tuned a number of the record breaking Hemis and was one of the first to develop tunes for the Hell Cat. He will already have a tuning file for your application that he developed tuning other Jeeps with the same mods as yours.

His number is 516-603-9276

Web Site: HEMITUNER Performance - Superior HEMI Performance, Calibration, and Installation Services

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.