Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

New SRT owner but feeling slightly disappointed

21K views 104 replies 32 participants last post by  Hoonlo 
#1 ·
Just bought a new 2016 JGC SRT! I had to order it because the dealer could not locate a local one with the options I wanted. I picked it up back in June (same month it was built!) and babied her through the 500 mile break in.

Overall I really like the vehicle, the looks and sounds are menacing. The feature set is great too. The seat bottoms aren't made for a 200 pound guy but assuming they will break in with more time -- I am at about 1600 miles today.

So why disappointed? I wish it was consistently faster. It's a pretty quick car, but most of my launches are 4.9 or even 5 seconds. I managed 4.6 once and 4.7 once but never smelled them again.

If I could get 4.6/4.7 routinely I would be loving the car, but at 4.9, with the occasional 4.8 or 5 seconds to 60, that's just OK. And reading stories about stock SRTs doing it at 4.5 or even 4.4 routinely seconds just makes matters worse.

Anyhow, I am wondering if you guys think it might need a few thousand more miles to really break in? Or maybe that's just the way it is... after all Jeep advertises 4.8 and I can hit that every couple of runs so maybe I just need to take that and deal.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Congrats on your new SRT. I just finished breaking in my second 2016 (long story), and I suggest that perhaps you're not quite far enough out from the technical break-in to experience optimal driving dynamics.
Manual says, "Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during the first 1,500 mi (2,414 km)" and you're just past that point now, so considering your break-in is still in a transition phase (it's not like you cross a line at 1,500 mi), I reckon your engine, tranny and exhaust still have much room for adaptation and performance improvement. I'm at 3,800 km and my exhaust is just now starting to snap, crackle and pop the way I envisioned. I only recently did a launch control run and clocked a 4.7 with nowhere near a perfect set-up.

#4 ·
I agree 100%. The heat seems to kill the performance of these 6.4L's. My experience is the same as El Jefe's here in MI. I did consistent 4.9-5.0 in summer and as low as 4.3 in 30 degree weather and an empty gas tank.

Reactions: anxiouz
#5 ·
I'm in PA and the temps have been in the 90's. Got a 4.9 today it was around 84 degrees and humid. It has been a hot summer and I agree that likely could be a factor.

Let me ask you guys. I assume you put the launch rpms to max at 3500? Does it matter if you are in Performance or Track mode? I assume either mode is is fine? Also, are you manually shifting? I am not.

Ideally I'd like to hear some tire squeal. On the 4.6s launch I heard it for sure, it pounded hard off the line and was noticeably different from the rest of my launches. I don't think I let the car sit at the set rpm range, rather as soon as the tach needle swept to 3500 I let off the brake and it really jolted forward. But I have been unable to replicate that other than the one other 4.7s launch, with most launches feeling like the engine is a little behind its sweet spot from the gitgo, playing catch up.

In fact sometimes when I just tap the throttle off the line (not doing a launch) the car seems to snap forward faster than using the launch control. I haven't tried not using the LC, perhaps I should.

I probably just need more time to figure it out, the car needs a few more miles on it, and the conditions need to be better.

#6 ·
If you're hitting 4.9 now you will for sure see 4.2 or better in a few months. Some guys have hit 3.9

Sport and Track both netted 4.4s for me. I havent adjusted the launch control RPM and tested it but others seem to get better times without launch control. Manually shifting is slower for sure

You won't hear tire squeal until you supercharge it or buy a Tazer Unlocker which has a RWD mode for rolling burnouts like I did here

#7 ·
If my 15' is any indication of performance while stock for 15000 miles it never went under 4.8 in summer (avg 90*) & 4.6 in winter months (avg 50*) in Florida, only after i bolted on some Headers, CAI & throttle body did it go down to 4.5 & 4.3 respectively, i have now 35000 miles on it with no tune & still running those numbers consistently, no glitches, hiccups or issues & I'm very happy with it.

#8 ·
As others said, heat kills the performance. In the winter (sub 60's) and a low fuel tank, I'm usually around 4.2 to 4.1 consistently VS summer where I'm around 4.4 evening to 4.6 to 4.8 during hot days. If it's in the upper 90's I'm seeing high 4's to low 5's. Lastly, as you get past the mileage break-in it will drive even better. For an SUV, it still kicks the crap out of pretty much every other except for a very few...and still smokes a lot of cars especially, off the line. Corning? One of my favorite attributes as I've had a lot of fun dusting cars in corners but I have a slight advantage as I've spent a lot of time on tracks so, I know the lines to take. IMO...I love this Jeep so far.

#9 ·
I think if you knew the impact DA has, especially on naturally aspirated engines, you would not have posted this in the first place.

#10 ·
I just got my 2016 a few weeks ago and love it. It's been hot as hell in Toronto lately and you can definitely feel its a bit slower but that's expected. Watch your IATs if you're doing launches. After a couple minutes of sitting in traffic they will get pretty high which will further hurt performance.

#11 · (Edited)
Its only not the weather ( DA ) its the pcm pulling timing. On the street if you can get the tank down as low as you can get at least 5 gal of 100 octane and then try it.Even on a stock tune higher octane will help as i been there done that here in CA with my bone stock 2012 BUT I USED a 50/50 mix of 91 & VP109 AND AT 3500 FT DA i pulled a 4.3 0/60 at the track at 5490 lbs.

#13 ·
Don't even be slightly disappointed. If you're staying stock just enjoy the car. It's one bad ass SUV to bee bop around town in b

2014 300 SRT8 / 2007 JEEP SRT8

#14 ·
Guys don't get me wrong, overall I do REALLY like the car. It's bad ass. Looks bad ass. Sounds bad ass. Handles WAY bad ass.

I suspect driving it in this extreme Summer is not indicative of where it will be when the temps are in the 50's and below. Its hard to rationalize that now and I'm just giving you my gut. I also don't think I fully appreciate the fact that this is a 5K lbs SUV. Take that into consideration and even 4.9 is amazing.

I also think part of my problem is where I came from. While the Jeep is better in every way (except comfy seat bottoms, lol) I had a 12 Genesis sedan r-spec which was like 429 ponies. I wasn't as fast as the SRT but it was close.

I think if I was coming from a noticeably slower car I would never have posted.

I do appreciate the comps and thoughts and it has made me very eager for Fall, when there will be cooler weather and more miles are on her.

#15 ·
I hop in my 300 SRT and it seems like driving a 6 cylinder compared to the jeep. Sometimes I think I want to mess with it and then sanity takes over![emoji6]

2014 300 SRT8 / 2007 JEEP SRT8

Reactions: Passmg2
#17 ·
Remember tires and road condition make a difference as well too.

#19 ·
No enough difference between those to have a big effect.

#22 ·
These stories about low 4's area exactly that IMO. My truck stock ran high 4's in perfect condition. My best IIRC was 4.8 and was consistently running low 13's at the track. Get some boost if you want gains. Remember it weighs over 5000 lbs and is naturally aspirated. Pretty respectable. You are coming from a car with almost 1/2 the weight.

#23 ·
I run my Jeep across the weigh scales often enough and it weighs 5,500-5,600lb depending on how much gas and how loaded with other stuff it is. I think the weight (dry?) on the sticker is 5,150lb. A stock 2015 will run 13 flat anyway in heat. Mine did it and so did Ray's. Cooler temps will get 12.67 stock with air filter removed. Ray proved that at St. Thomas Raceway when we were there.

#29 ·
Best times for me have not been using launch control but instead using my foot to brake so I can hold a higher RPM. Keep in mind in the 2016's you can adjust the launch RPM for launch control.

At any rate my best in the 2014 is 4.2 with temps in the high 80's. I've never been over 4.6 with the launch control. The launch control is more about "set it and forget it". Its great because you can launch without displaying tire squeak or losing traction without even thinking about it. For the ultimate launch, I still think better times are had without it. I in fact can match launch control by just mashing the pedal and not holding rpm most of the time.

Experiment with sport and track mode. I believe my 4.2 was on track mode, traction control completely off, and high enough RPM to where the car really wants to move. Best mashing launches for me are just simply in sport mode, no launch control.

Keep in mind sometimes the time picks up the delay between holding that pedal (launch control or not) and the start, which since we are talking 10ths here can easily be 2-3 10ths off your time. A sub 5 sec 0-60 is fast on the street. Getting close to 4 seconds is really fast. The AWD really works quite well in the jeep. For the weight of the vehicle it launches very fast. I had a 2012 300 SRT, and even though its supposed to sport a similar 0-60 sprint as the jeep, its nearly impossible to get in that RWD platform especially with the 5 speed. I loved the car, but it was a spinning slug trying to launch on the fairly skinny stock tires. Now with the 8 speed I'm assuming the newer SRT sedans are a bit quicker, but the 392 isn't an easy car to launch on typical uneven dirty streets - THATS were the jeep is going to kill it, and why its so fun. Its so fun in fact, that it will be hard for me to consider another RWD car.

I drove a 2011 CTSV coupe for 3 years, and the Jeep is significantly quicker and more planted in typical daily driving fun. The CTSV has so much power it simple can't utilize it on typical streets. It certainly pulls harder on the highway, but not so much that I miss it for most of my driving. Giving up 10% of that edge in performance of the V, I get: the ability to pull stuff, plow through snow, go over speed bumps worry free, lower risk of curb rash, full acceleration on shitty streets, no traction issues in rain, quick solid left hand turn launches without worry of the rear end getting lose, space for a roof rack, more storage etc etc.
Now I'm not going to down play the V. It was and still is the best bargain performance car you can buy used for 30-40k especially if its not your only car, and you want to mod into hellcat range of power. They are reliable and not overly expensive to fix (other than electronics which is why I got out of mine - radio start going bad and $1500-2000 repairs for NAV radio shit ruined it for me but its pretty rare).

I've even looked at a couple of Hellcats, because well Hellcat, but I live in Iowa, and the thought of driving a nearly 800hp manual car (cause I'd have to have a manual) in the snow and rain just doesn't sound like a great idea for ones only car. The idea of a Hellcat jeep is just that more tasty. Now if Jeep goes the crazy route like Cadillac and thinks they can charge $90-100,000 for a ****ing domestic car, then I'll be sticking with my plan to get into a Panamera in 2 or 3 year....because welllllll Porsche.

#30 ·
"Giving up 10% of that edge in performance of the V, I get: the ability to pull stuff, plow through snow, go over speed bumps worry free, lower risk of curb rash, full acceleration on shitty streets, no traction issues in rain, quick solid left hand turn launches without worry of the rear end getting lose, space for a roof rack, more storage etc etc."

Well said. For the reasons you stated above and more, I purchased my Jeep as a highly adaptable, multi-use, all-season monster that happens to be both handsome and capable of particularly athletic feats for its size/weight.

#31 ·
Well I'm glad I came across this thread bc I am where the 2 previous posters were,,, wondering about my giving up my V for the SRT,,, and now I'm definitely going for it, I just needed that little nudge. I love my V, gobs of power, too much in fact, since I love being able to pass anything I want on my way to work or home. I was worried how much less capable(quick) the SRT will be. But reading that others agree giving up a bit of that craziness for more usefulness and snow capability is all I needed to hear. Thanks.

Now onto the search...

#33 ·
Before SRT screwed up my transmission, my winter 0-60s in Houston were consistently 4.1-4.3 and 4.3-4.4 regardless of gas. My summers I would get 4.5-5.1 depending on gas and humidity. For the past year my winters have been 4.5-5.00 regardless of gas and summers are 4.9-5.1 with low gas. SRT really screwed me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.