Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Winter is coming, and tires questions too..

39K views 120 replies 38 participants last post by  Den2178 
#1 ·
I'm starting to look for winter tires this days, and I have a question about sizes. I have a good offer for 255/50R20, I cant find anything for 295-45-20 or 275-50-20 in a reasonable price. Do you think 255/50R20 will be ok? Someone using that setup for winter in Canada? (Montreal, in my case). I'm leaving my 20's for winter and I'll switch to 21 or 22 for summer in may, but for now, I need to confirm if I want to order the 255 or not. I took a look in tirerack and discountire, but no offers for now.

Any advise, will be appreciated.

#6 ·
Winter tires are night and day difference no matter if you have AWD or not. The 255 would probably work better than stock width because you don't want wide tires for snow, however I'd be concerned that the 10" rim width might stretch the tire and not protect the wheel from curb rash.

I used 245/255 snow tires on my CTSV. They worked fine other than the rims sticking out....and getting curbed at a car wash....

Snow tires would make a huge difference. Now if you leave somewhere that just keeps a couple of snow days and most of the time stuff is plowed well, All seasons and 4x4 is going to get you there just fine. If you live in Buffalo, or out in the country I'd be getting some actual snow tires for sure.

My CTSV on blizzaks blew through weather conditions that 4x4 vehicles were stuck at because they had shit tires.

#7 ·
Winter tires are night and day difference no matter if you have AWD or not.
This is correct. It is very noticeable even if you use relatively wide winter tires like mine (275's). If I had to do it again I probably would do one size narrower like 265's but mine were fine in a very heavy snow part of the country (165-200 inches a year with -30 temps). You want to order from now before there is a rush on them this fall.

#15 · (Edited)
Yeah, could not resist these exact ones either. I was waiting to order a winter rim too but Factory Repro posted their new Hellcat JGC rims and I going to get those (black chrome) as summer wheels as a combo with summer rubber and use just my black chrome goliaths with the Nokia winters....ordered Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV 275/50R20 113 R XL....$1,100 installed...nobody seems to deal much on Nokia's, especially right now :wink2: but I know I will love them over the OEM P Scorpion Verde All-Season for winter traction...still got about 30k (70% highway) out of the Pirelli's...gotta get more "crazy" time, that's too many miles >:) for those Pirelli's...

Reactions: 2008ls3
#18 ·
^^^ I am running the Toyos in this size too...perfect...and I know tires as I used to own a tire shop. If you run the Pirelli Verdes all season run flats they may be ok but for reasons everyone has stated above, I wouldn't chance it. If you try to run the Pirelli PZero summer tires you will die. Guaranteed.

#20 ·
too wide imo...265 is best for deeper snow but I opted for 275 to have less stretch as a compromise....eh, 285 is just a notch off 295 stock....that's a sled on skis...:surprise:

#23 · (Edited)
So I keep seeing people who are running 20x9 wheels on 265/50/20 tires however for the life of me I cannot find wheels when I do a search. I recently purchased Nokian Hakka R2 SUV tires in a 265/50/20 but all of the 20x9 wheels that I am seeing appear to have offset's of +37 and below. I am also worried about going up to a 20x10 wheel due to stretching the tires that I have.

For those that have 20x9 wheels and similar or the same tire size, where did you find your wheels? I am getting a little concerned as to whether or not I will be able to find anything and what offset is an acceptable offset to work with my SRT.

Also for those with 20x9 wheels, what are all of the dimensions of the wheels?

Btw, I have a 2014 Jeep GC SRT. Thanks so much!

#25 ·
So I keep seeing people who are running 20x9 wheels on 265/50/20 tires however for the life of me I cannot find these wheels when I do a search. I recently purchased Nokian Hakka R2 SUV tires in a 265/50/20 but all of the 20x9 wheels that I am seeing appear to have offset's of +37 and below. I am also worried about going up to a 20x10 wheel due to stretching the tires that I have.
I'm running that exact tire for the winter on 20x10 Replika wheels...no issues.

#29 ·
I'm very interested in getting 20x9 +34MM offset wheels to go with my 265/50/20 Nokian tires however I'm still trying to locate someone that actually has that set-up and had no issues with fitment over the brembo's. Getting that type of wheel would be completely ideal for me.

#31 ·
Awesome! That's exactly what I think I would like to do. I found a local shop that has some replica spider monkey wheels that I can verify their fitment before mounting the tires and even return if need be. It seems though from pretty much all of the 20x9 wheels that I am seeing that their offset is +34mm so I would think that should work.

#41 · (Edited)
Nice to see someone else running this size. I had a new set of Blizzak 285-50-20s mounted on PVD stock wheels yesterday. $265/tire, on and balanced (I'll install them on the vehicle myself when the time is right). Re-upped on my winter shoe hardware too (SRT center caps, Gorilla 20-lock lug nuts). Sourced the TPMS out of the US, since several local dealers up here in Ontario, a) had to be educated by me on the correct part number for 2016, b) quoted 2x the price I ended up paying online, and c) didn't have them available anyway.

#38 ·
I'm going for the new Factory Repro Hellcat reps, 20x10, PVD black chrome with maybe the general grabbers for summer

#51 ·
quite possibly a noob question here but my 2014 is lowered using the eibach wk2 kit (according to someone who has worked on it) and I have the 20" spider monkeys. I read elsewhere that a 265/50 20 will work on these wheels. So two things:

1. Will it?
2. Will there by any issues with my wheels being cambered if I stretch blizzaks onto the spider monkeys? I live in Michigan and am buying a house that's going to require a bit of a commute across some roads spanning farm land so snow drifting is very likely.

Thanks in advance folks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.