Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Is there any adhesive that will stick to plastic trim?

8K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  Spider Monkey 
#1 ·
I am trying to mount a magnetic phone holder to the textured plastic trim right to the left of the center console. I have tried 3M VHB White and Red and neither even attempts to stick to the plastic trim. I have cleaned the trim with alcohol and as well as cleaning strips that came with my phone holder. It's literally like oil and water. The adhesive appears to be totally useless against this plastic. :frown2:

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
3m double side tape that's good for exterior use. The red backing one
I just got done testing some Scotch Extreme Mounting Tape. It would at least stick to the plastic trim, unlike either of the 3M VHB tapes I tried, but it would not hold any weight. Even the slight weight of the phone mount caused it to peel away from the dash. It's as if the plastic trim is infused with oil.

#23 ·
I would not advise that. The CF trim is the most fragile part of the entire interior.

#29 · (Edited)
Try drywall screws.

I can't tell what you're doing though. Looks like you have the factory cover and you're trying to stick as second cover underneath it???

#30 ·
My dog rides in the cargo bay. There is a padded cover that rides up the sides (covering the subwoofer). The back side of the padded cover has Velcro on it. I have tried to apply Velcro to the interior plastic in the cargo bay just under the rear cover. However, the Velcro only stays adhered to the plastic in the cargo bay for a few weeks before eventually falling off.

#31 ·
Ahh that makes sense. I've seen fitted dog pads for the back of our rigs on this site before. They cover the seats and the sides where where the subwoofer is. I'll see if I can dig that solution up for you...

... because drywall screws was realy bad advice. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.